SiouxSports.com Forum

Hotel Recommendation for Grand Forks

Yote 53

I will be up in GF next weekend for 3 days because my kid has a hockey camp going on there.  Currently have rooms reserved at Spring Hill Suites but, because I am cheap and hockey is expensive enough as is, I am seriously looking to stay at a cheaper hotel.  EconoLodge has some pretty low rates and we could stay there for almost half the cost.  Would anyone recommend it?  Is it clean and halfway up-to-date or am I going to have to worry about bed bugs and hookers turning tricks with truckers who are passing through?  (You think I am kidding but our team stayed at a hotel in Fremont, NE for a tournament when we were in Omaha and there was a hooker who was making on-line appointments with truckers who were stopping at the near-by truck stop.  Kids never noticed what was going on but us parents sure did!)

13 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

I have stayed at the Ramada.  Over priced at almost $100 per night for being old and worn down.  I'm booked at Spring Hill for that price.

Knights Inn.  I will look into that one.  Thanks.

For what its worth the Ramada recently renovated or so I heard.  Might be worth a 2nd look if the price is right.

37 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

I have stayed at the Ramada.  Over priced at almost $100 per night for being old and worn down.  I'm booked at Spring Hill for that price.

Knights Inn has a great breakfast....but you  might see some similar activity to what you experienced in Fremont.

5 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

The Ramada just recently renovated and the rooms are pretty nice for a decent price...You might want to try it one more time before writing it off...

I've got the Spring Hill Suites locked in at $98/night already, so I am not in the market for the Ramada.  I am trying to downgrade in price without sacrificing too much quality.  I will probably just stick with what I have got but thank you all for your input.

5 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Ideal inn or budget inn isn’t tom bad

stay away from ambassador 

Budget Inn?  As in Budget Inn Express off Gateway Drive?  Holy Christ!  That place looks like a haven for portable meth labs.  No thank you.  Now I just looked up Ideal Inn.  You are clearly joking.

4 hours ago, petey23 said:

Knights Inn has a great breakfast....but you  might see some similar activity to what you experienced in Fremont.

It might almost be worth it just for the people watching then.  My kid is now old enough to figure it out enough to where he would look at me and say "Dad, this place is kind of sketch."

• Upvote 1

Really its tough to save a ton at $98 a night without rolling the dice on hookers and bugs.

I like teh Expressway Suites across from the Alerus its, fairly priced, comfortable beds, easy drive to the pepper,  has a big hot tub, decent breakfast if its biscuits and gravy day and can be found for as low as $65 some times but usually around $95-110.

45 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Really its tough to save a ton at $98 a night without rolling the dice on hookers and bugs.

I like teh Expressway Suites across from the Alerus its, fairly priced, comfortable beds, easy drive to the pepper,  has a big hot tub, decent breakfast if its biscuits and gravy day and can be found for as low as $65 some times but usually around $95-110.

But if you crave a grinder,  buy the ingredients at the pepper and pick up a bun at hugos

The new buns suck. Someone bought a bun at hugos, took it to the south location,  and they made him a grinder using his bun

And all 4 peppers, including Fargo, have those lowsy buns.

1 hour ago, sprig said:

But if you crave a grinder,  buy the ingredients at the pepper and pick up a bun at hugos

The new buns suck. Someone bought a bun at hugos, took it to the south location,  and they made him a grinder using his bun

And all 4 peppers, including Fargo, have those lowsy buns.

What's next? Forks?:angry:

13 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

I will be up in GF next weekend for 3 days because my kid has a hockey camp going on there.  Currently have rooms reserved at Spring Hill Suites but, because I am cheap and hockey is expensive enough as is, I am seriously looking to stay at a cheaper hotel.  EconoLodge has some pretty low rates and we could stay there for almost half the cost.  Would anyone recommend it?  Is it clean and halfway up-to-date or am I going to have to worry about bed bugs and hookers turning tricks with truckers who are passing through?  (You think I am kidding but our team stayed at a hotel in Fremont, NE for a tournament when we were in Omaha and there was a hooker who was making on-line appointments with truckers who were stopping at the near-by truck stop.  Kids never noticed what was going on but us parents sure did!)

You really need to try Priceline express deals. You don't pick the exact hotel and only a random hotel with the same star level. Don't stay in anything lower than 2.5 stars unless it is rated 8.5 or higher. I have only been let down a few times over the couple hundred times ( but I'm very picky) using Priceline and have probably saved thousands. 

1 hour ago, JLP157 said:

If you have the Spring Hill Suites at $98/night, keep it.  I stay there a lot during hockey season.  Great suites, comfortable beds, and the place is spotless every time.

This is true it is a very nice place actually probably the best of teh ones in that area, Id stay there for $98 and be happy with it.

40 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

You really need to try Priceline express deals. You don't pick the exact hotel and only a random hotel with the same star level. Don't stay in anything lower than 2.5 stars unless it is rated 8.5 or higher. I have only been let down a few times over the couple hundred times ( but I'm very picky) using Priceline and have probably saved thousands. 

I got a CanadInn or whatever it's called with them for like 80 bucks on a Saturday night.  In a city the size of Grand Forks, you'll get a decent place to sleep if you aren't picky for a decent price.

Yeah, I've looked and looked and it's a good hotel for a fair price.  Sometimes you can find these hidden gems like an EconoLodge or something that is lower budget but is nice, clean, well-maintained, etc.  I just wanted to find out of there was a hidden gem like that in GF.  I have until May 2 to cancel my reservations, I'll continue to check daily to see if anything pops up.  Thanks for all your input guys.

before moving here we came once a year for a hockey series and always stayed at the Econo Lodge. It's basic but cheap and was convenient given the speedway bus was right next door

No problem with the rooms whatsoever. Beds were fine