SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 Stanley Cup Playoffs

cberkas

23 minutes ago, KoolGuy2K said:

Not sure if this has been asked before, but why is Vegas so good this year? Typically, in any sport, an expansion team takes several years to be decent. What happened with them? Did they just get lucky that their guys have good chemistry? 

Sounds like they bought into the system and that no one gave them a chance. 

1 hour ago, sioux rube said:

Winnipeg Jets defenseman Josh Morrissey will have a hearing with the Department of Player Safety for his cross-check to the head of Minnesota Wild forward Eric Staal on Tuesday night.

Does Morrisey have a history of suspensions,  and if not could he still get more than  1 game.  The missed call was a game changer that was not called,  could he get at least 2  because of that?

1 hour ago, KoolGuy2K said:

Not sure if this has been asked before, but why is Vegas so good this year? Typically, in any sport, an expansion team takes several years to be decent. What happened with them? Did they just get lucky that their guys have good chemistry? 

Didn't the Jags and Panthers both make the NFL playoffs pretty quickly?

I think it comes down to quality personnel decision making and a favorable draft environment.

Does anyone know if the Vegas NHL expansion draft was conducted the same as previous iterations, or whether there changes (e.g., roster protection) that inured to the benefit of the new club?

4 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Didn't the Jags and Panthers both make the NFL playoffs pretty quickly?

I think it comes down to quality personnel decision making and a favorable draft environment.

Does anyone know if the Vegas NHL expansion draft was conducted the same as previous iterations, or whether there changes (e.g., roster protection) that inured to the benefit of the new club?

Vegas' expansion draft was set up for them to succeed right a way with most teams unable to protect all the players they would have wanted to keep whereas in previous expansion drafts (such as the year the Wild came in) the teams were left drafting from the scraps other teams didn't want. Hence the reason you never heard of the majority of the guys on those initial rosters. The NHL made sure this expansion team wasn't a dumpster fire out of the gates.

The NHL most certainly did not want the new team to fail.

This may be the case study in how major pro sports expand in the future.

Make sure there is instant winning excitement, I believe MLB tried to do somewhat the same when the Marlins and Rockies where created but nothing like this.

One thing I see is that most expansions picked the players on the far fringes and just didnt have enough talent to compete these players being picked just under the bubble so to say of star players.... they have talent,

and never underestimate a group of skilled people who feel they were left abandoned by their organizations. 

1 hour ago, I Ranger said:

Vegas' expansion draft was set up for them to succeed right a way with most teams unable to protect all the players they would have wanted to keep whereas in previous expansion drafts (such as the year the Wild came in) the teams were left drafting from the scraps other teams didn't want. Hence the reason you never heard of the majority of the guys on those initial rosters. The NHL made sure this expansion team wasn't a dumpster fire out of the gates.

Agree 100%.  This team had a cornerstone goalie  the moment Marc-Andre Fleury became their property.  The NHL will definitely want to replicate this when Seattle lands an NHL team.    

36 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

The NHL most certainly did not want the new team to fail. ... 

One thing I see is that most expansions picked the players on the far fringes and just didnt have enough talent to compete these players being picked just under the bubble so to say of star players.... 

Certainly not in that key new market. 

I used to joke with PCM that I had the Dean Blais recruiting strategy relative to the USHL figured out: Dean didn't want the single best player from any team; he wanted the second and third best players from every team. I'd say Vegas got the NHL flavor of that concept. 

4 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Agree 100%.  This team had a cornerstone goalie  the moment Marc-Andre Fleury became their property.  The NHL will definitely want to replicate this when Seattle lands an NHL team.    

Didn't Blais claim one time that the position is so important the game should be renamed "Goalie". 

19 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Didn't Blais claim one time that the position is so important the game should be renamed "Goalie". 

Except when you pull the goalie with 13 minutes left in the 3rd......................................................

2 hours ago, I Ranger said:

When Seattle starts their team Vegas is the only team that will be exempt from the expansion draft.

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

If the Penguins would have got a goalie to expose during the draft, they would still have Fleury.

DaveK and his other identities have to be upset that they let Fleury get away.

4 hours ago, sioux rube said:

Winnipeg Jets defenseman Josh Morrissey will have a hearing with the Department of Player Safety for his cross-check to the head of Minnesota Wild forward Eric Staal on Tuesday night.

Russo’s minions on Twitter are claiming “the call that turned a series”.  Other than the Jets being faster, more physical with better skill they bring up a valid point. 

Granted with a healthy Parise and Suter it probably goes the full 7.  

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

If the Penguins would have got a goalie to expose during the draft, they would still have Fleury.

What do you mean?  DaveK is now a Golden Knight fan, isn't he?!

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, cberkas said:

I thought teams could only protect one goalie?  So then everyone else would still have been exposed.  Getting another goalie wouldn't have helped, it would have just made it so the Knights had two options (Fluery and Goalie B), in which they still would have taken Fleury.  

4 hours ago, southpaw said:

I thought teams could only protect one goalie?  So then everyone else would still have been exposed.  Getting another goalie wouldn't have helped, it would have just made it so the Knights had two options (Fluery and Goalie B), in which they still would have taken Fleury.  

Fleury had a no-trade clause and Murrey wasn’t eligible for the expansion draft (on his first contract). Pittsburgh could have picked a goalie up to expose and kept both Fleury and Murrey.

Seeing how Fleury has been playing, he looks happy in Vegas.

Sabres. Dulled.
Senators. Impeached.
Coyotes. Neutered.
Canadiens. Americanized.
Canucks. Deported.
Red Wings. Clipped.
Blackhawks. Down.
Rangers. Homed.
Oilers. Canned.
Islanders. Set adrift.
Hurricanes. Downgraded.
Flames. Extinguished.