SiouxSports.com Forum

Attendance Issues

Siouxperfan7

We all know that we have our attendance issues for football, especially with the students.  But this is just another example that shows that no school, even one that has won 6 of the past National Championships, is immune from declining attendance.  

NDSU reduces student seats, adds more season tickets for football games

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4430092-ndsu-reduces-student-seats-adds-more-season-tickets-football-games

Probably fair to point out that UND did take a section of hockey seats away from students a few years ago but they took away the least desirable one and have used it for single game tickets instead of the most desirable ones and converted it season tickets..

Will be interesting to see if there is any reaction from the students. Seems like the athletic department got the money they were looking for last year when they asked to raise student fees for "travel and equipment" (not budget cuts :silly:) by just taking seats away and selling them to season ticket holders. 

3 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Probably fair to point out that UND did take a section of hockey seats away from students a few years ago but they took away the least desirable one and have used it for single game tickets instead of the most desirable ones and converted it season tickets..

Will be interesting to see if there is any reaction from the students. Seems like the athletic department got the money they were looking for last year when they asked to raise student fees for "travel and equipment" (not budget cuts :silly:) by just taking seats away and selling them to season ticket holders. 

And student attendance at hockey games has actually been an issue since the Kelley crackdown.

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

Looks more like a money grab than an attendance issue.  Students should review the fees they're paying for athletics.

"NDSU students had a seating capacity of about 4,000. Generally, students have filled those seats early in the season, but attendance has waned later in October and November."

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

I know this attendance thread is in a football section. But: We have 3 student sections at the Hawk's Nest, somewhere around 750 per section = over 2,000 seats, maybe up to 2,300. Bison are cutting down from 4,000 seats. Does any know how many student MH seats are at The Ralph?

8 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Schloss seems to be convinced that they are talking about this for hockey here as well.

Yes, but the difference will be that it will end up being one of the upper bowl sections, not one of the lower bowl. NDSU students lost their best section in the deal but got $100K/year in student fees back along with priority for SRO tickets. 

10 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Yes, but the difference will be that it will end up being one of the upper bowl sections, not one of the lower bowl. NDSU students lost their best section in the deal but got $100K/year in student fees back along with priority for SRO tickets. 

"Back."  I highly doubt student fees have been reduced.  Guessing they're just being redirected.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Yep.  If I was an NDSU student, I would b pretty upset.  Imagine if UND/Ralph decided they were taking away the lower bowl student sections 108 and 109!!  Really I am surprised they haven't done so already.  

5 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Yep.  If I was an NDSU student, I would b pretty upset.  Imagine if UND/Ralph decided they were taking away the lower bowl student sections 108 and 109!!  Really I am surprised they haven't done so already.  

Don't know if it is a good idea to take some MH student seats awar and try and sell them to the public for next season, the demand may not be there. The last half of this past season had empty seats spread through out most of the arena along with seats at the top being open. It seemed like it was worse as the season went on. The St. Cloud (#1 in the country) games were an embarrassment. Re-sale of tickets this season were advertise for less than face value, were previous years they were mostly at par.

Students aren't buying and there is still a waiting list for season tickets.  

I was in school while arena built and opened.  The original plans were for students to have 4 bottom sections and 2 top.  Then that got flipped when all of a sudden there was demand.

I still wish they had the student sections at the end where UND shot twice.

Could stand the whole time, and could chirp at the goalie for 40 out of the 60 minutes and maybe get in his head. 

I just never got the appeal of chirping at the guy in the penalty box.

Oh well.

True story: 

One of the last games I attended at the student, had an adult scream at us to sit down when there was 1:20 left in the period and we were all standing.

That same adult was screaming for the usher when we were standing just a little too long after UND scored because we wanted to sing the Beer Song.

That being said, I'm going to say something controversial:  UND student section should be way better than it is... its should be Cameron Crazy level intense. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I still wish they had the student sections at the end where UND shot twice.

Could stand the whole time, and could chirp at the goalie for 40 out of the 60 minutes and maybe get in his head. 

I just never got the appeal of chirping at the guy in the penalty box.

Oh well.

no, they could not. issue is the height from seats to suites. It would be same issue as in 108/109.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

True story: 

One of the last games I attended at the student, had an adult scream at us to sit down when there was 1:20 left in the period and we were all standing.

That same adult was screaming for the usher when we were standing just a little too long after UND scored because we wanted to sing the Beer Song.

That being said, I'm going to say something controversial:  UND student section should be way better than it is... its should be Cameron Crazy level intense. 

The student section sucks. They aren’t creative at all. They mostly just go through the motions and wait for a goal.

3 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

True story: 

That being said, I'm going to say something controversial:  UND student section should be way better than it is... its should be Cameron Crazy level intense

The craziest student section by far at UND is when the football players are at the basketball games. So much fun.

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

The student section sucks. They aren’t creative at all. They mostly just go through the motions and wait for a goal.

Not sure if it’s still like it used to be at the Kohl Center in the late 90s early 2000s or not, but their student section knew how to have fun.  

I also wish they would’ve put the students behind the goalie.  As for the suites, take out the last couple rows on top so the people in the suites can still see.

18 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

Not sure if it’s still like it used to be at the Kohl Center in the late 90s early 2000s or not, but their student section knew how to have fun.  

I also wish they would’ve put the students behind the goalie.  As for the suites, take out the last couple rows on top so the people in the suites can still see.

Or tell the rich pansies to enjoy the game and stand too.

• Upvote 1