SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Frozen4sioux

Impressive Pothole development

2 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

But the tax was passed before the snow started melting exposing all these potholes?

People were starting to complain about roads already last Summer.  If you would have driven under the Washington Street underpass at any point last Summer you would have seen.  They left that thing beat to crap throughout their pleading for a yes vote as a shrine to the deteriorating roads in Grand Forks.  

Do you think perfectly good roads just fall apart after one winter?  No.  They weren't keeping up on maintenance and a perfect storm of a winter exposed them for it.

The Grand Forks roads are so bad that every bump you hit registers a step on your Fitbit. 

2 hours ago, TheFlop said:

It's not a coincidence that certain high profile roads were allowed to degrade in the year leading up to the sales tax vote in Grand Forks.  

They will be fixed this Summer but the city had to make sure people understood last Summer/Fall that the "only" way possible to get roads fixed was to approve the sales tax.

not a coincidence at all...

2 hours ago, TheFlop said:

People were starting to complain about roads already last Summer.  If you would have driven under the Washington Street underpass at any point last Summer you would have seen.  They left that thing beat to crap throughout their pleading for a yes vote as a shrine to the deteriorating roads in Grand Forks.  

Do you think perfectly good roads just fall apart after one winter?  No.  They weren't keeping up on maintenance and a perfect storm of a winter exposed them for it.

I didn't? Man, I must have imagined living in GF for the past 3 years. I honestly don't remember the roads being anywhere close to as bad as they are right now.

So just so we're all straight, Grand Forks has always had the resources to fix the infrastructure but chose not to in order to get this vote passed?

Have I gone full tinfoil hat yet? :tinfoilhat:

9 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I didn't? Man, I must have imagined living in GF for the past 3 years. I honestly don't remember the roads being anywhere close to as bad as they are right now.

So just so we're all straight, Grand Forks has always had the resources to fix the infrastructure but chose not to in order to get this vote passed?

if you've ever dealt with some or most of the people at city hall that think thatthe taxpayer's money is fun money then you know that they will always have a master plan to keep the people wanting more

Priorities...Remake the downtown into a hellish traffic nightmare or argue about the library in the age of digital communication and information or work on potholes...I bet anyone can guess where they want to spend money and have their names attached to it....

11 hours ago, KoolGuy2K said:

Do you think it might be because of the chemical treatment they spray on the roads before snowstorms? Just a thought. 

I’m sure all the best truck traffic doesn’t help either.  You would think the city would have certain routes the Beet trucks can drive on.  For example, cross the river at the Kennedy Bridge and Point Bridge only.  Keep the trucks away from downtown.  Bit there doesn’t seem to be any plan in place and truck can go almost anywhere (other than residential maybe.)

3 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

If you've been in Grand Forks for the last 3 years it must have all been spent in Pete Haga's food truck if you didn't notice the start of this last year.  Regarding the N. Washington underpass, they left it beat up almost the entire Summer.  When they finally fixed it, it only took a couple days to fill it and asphalt over it.  Not exactly major construction.

As for the money....major projects obviously take time and money.  There is such a thing known as preventative maintenance.  

But you are right, in the history of time there has never been an instance of an entity (government or non government) dragging their feet/doing less than their best/etc in order to get what they feel they want/need.