SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cberkas

2018-19 Non-UND College Hockey

4 minutes ago, FGHTNSX Hawkey14 said:

I like the three point system, but you have some good points. Although, a 5 point systems could give you with a 12-9-2-3-4 record, which looks a little clunky.

Actually a 12-9-2-3-4-0 record. ;)

I wouldn't report that however; I'd report you have 112 standings points. :D 

1 hour ago, Big Green said:

IMO the NCHC had it right.  Rarely did it affect the end of the year standings.  I thought it was good entertainment to see a 3x3 or shootout.  I always hated leaving the game after a tie, seemed like a waste of time.  NHL uses 3x3 and shootout, if it is good enough for the top league in the world it should be good enough for college hockey.

Interesting no one on the committee is from leagues that use the 3x3 or shoot out.  

The NCHC should have counted the 3x3 OT like the 5x5 OT, you win it counts as a win not a tie. Realistically the NCHC should just picked 3x3 or 5x5 OT’s after the first year of having both and went with just one (3x3 would probably have resulted in less shootouts).

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

If the NCAA wasn't get the best of the best that aspire to play in the NHL, they should model their game after the NHL as much as possible.  5 minute 3 on 3 followed by a shootout.  I don't understand why leagues are so against this.  

"Every prominent North American professional and junior league uses three-on-three overtimes in the regular season, including the NHL, the American Hockey League and the ECHL."

There are couches that think they will lose their jobs because they’d lose more OT games. 

7 minutes ago, cberkas said:

The NCHC should have counted the 3x3 OT like the 5x5 OT, you win it counts as a win not a tie. Realistically the NCHC should just picked 3x3 or 5x5 OT’s after the first year of having both and went with just one (3x3 would probably have resulted in less shootouts).

A 5x5 OT is mandated across all leagues so it's consistent.

NCAA Hockey Rules Committee suggests a move back to 5-on-5 OT. No more shootouts and 3-on-3. Video review before player ejections and teams are allowed to dress 19 skaters per game (up from 18). All rules changes must be approved by the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel.

Other changes include teams getting 1 timeout per OT (regardless of whether or not they used a timeout earlier). Coaches must use a challenge to review goals scored where a potential high stick is involved or plays where the puck touches the net out of play and leads to a goal.

Another small change: "For a substitution to be legal, the player coming off the ice must be within 5 feet of their bench before the substitute may contact the ice."

Also, "A player who catches the puck must immediately place it on the ice for play to continue legally. If a player catches and conceals or throws the puck, a minor penalty shall be assessed."

44 minutes ago, Cratter said:

NCAA Hockey Committee: We don't want to help prepare you for the NHL.

It's maddening. I just don't understand how they can think this will do anything but give MJ a leg up by showing kids that college hockey isn't paying attention.

• Upvote 1

Another small change: "For a substitution to be legal, the player coming off the ice must be within 5 feet of their bench before the substitute may contact the ice."

So are we going to see some sort of on-ice demarcation or is it by eyeball.  

Maybe sell the 5 feet in front of the benches as an on-ice ad space: The Uber pick-up / drop-off zone! 

• Upvote 2