Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cberkas

2018-19 Non-UND College Hockey

Recommended Posts

49 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Holy hyperbole, Batman! :)

tumblr_nmjy337i2z1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

SHOOTOUTS ARE AN ABOMINATION!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

SHOOTOUTS ARE AN ABOMINATION!  

Lol I had to delete that gif... terrifying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

While not exactly happy about it, Goon was in fact retained as the special shootout situation volunteer coach.  :lol:

Very funny. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

tumblr_nmjy337i2z1rp0vkjo1_500.gifSho

SHOOTOUTS ARE AN ABOMINATION!  

 

Let's put our line in the water, shall we? So.., do you think if someone breaks a game-winning goal statistic during the modern age, i.e. via the three-on-three era, should that statistic contain an asterisk?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Goon said:

Let's put our line in the water, shall we? So.., do you think if someone breaks a game-winning goal statistic during the modern age, i.e. via the three-on-three era, should that statistic contain an asterisk?

C'mon, Goon, wbo is on the ice in 3x3 OT, the grind line?  No, it's the scorers.  So, if someone down the road pots 50 goals in 38 games and "beats" Wayne Gretzky's record of fastest to 50 goals -- and any of those goals were scored in 3x3 OT -- you're damn right I think there should be an asterisk on that "new record."  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

C'mon, Goon, wbo is on the ice in 3x3 OT, the grind line?  No, it's the scorers.  So, if someone down the road pots 50 goals in 38 games and "beats" Wayne Gretzky's record of fastest to 50 goals -- and any of those goals were scored in 3x3 OT -- you're damn right I think there should be an asterisk on that "new record."  

His records will never be broken.  Completly different game now.  The way they played back then (with the time and space) is pretty much the equivalent to playing 3x3 (ok maybe 4x4).

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

His records will never be broken.  Completly different game now.  The way they played back then (with the time and space) is pretty much the equivalent to playing 3x3 (ok maybe 4x4).

8 Track tape players?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

His records will never be broken.  Completly different game now.  The way they played back then (with the time and space) is pretty much the equivalent to playing 3x3 (ok maybe 4x4).

I have to agree with you. The players aren’t racking up the points like they used to. I think some of the blame should be the size of the goalie’a equipment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Goon said:

I have to agree with you. The players aren’t racking up the points like they used to. I think some of the blame should be the size of the goalie’a equipment. 

Nah.  These guys just don't play the game anymore.  Plastic sticks; little bitty gloves; face shields; toe drags (wtf is that??).  They probably don't even need nutcups. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Compare and contrast. Look at the size of the equipment. Exhibit A, well that picture speaks for its self. Exhibits B and C that's the modern day goalie. 

Eddie the eagle.png

flyers goalie.png

Bobby Lou.png

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Goon said:

Compare and contrast. Look at the size of the equipment. Exhibit A, well that picture speaks for its self. Exhibits B and C that's the modern day goalie. 

Eddie the eagle.png

flyers goalie.png

Bobby Lou.png

Are those guys all the same size?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Are those guys all the same size?

The Eagle was only 4'9".  True story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

@Goon Maybe it’s time to make the nets bigger?

Nope, wrong answer. Now you're just getting silly. 

net.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Are those guys all the same size?

Look how small Eddy's pads are compared to the two other examples. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Goon said:

I have to agree with you. The players aren’t racking up the points like they used to. I think some of the blame should be the size of the goalie’a equipment. 

I'm sure that plays into it a bit.  However, I have a goalie buddy who always goes back to the newer sticks nowadays.  Given how light they are and with that flex, players can send quick rockets from anywhere.  The sticks along with player skates, there is just no time and space anymore.  Couple that with the goalie equipment and it's simply tougher to score goals these days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Goon said:

Compare and contrast. Look at the size of the equipment. Exhibit A, well that picture speaks for its self. Exhibits B and C that's the modern day goalie. 

Eddie the eagle.png

flyers goalie.png

Bobby Lou.png

I had no idea that Ed Belfour played with no goalie mask!  That explains a lot!  :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Goon said:

Compare and contrast. Look at the size of the equipment. Exhibit A, well that picture speaks for its self. Exhibits B and C that's the modern day goalie. 

Eddie the eagle.png

flyers goalie.png

Bobby Lou.png

I love how back in the old days hockey was a rough and tumble sport.  The sport did not care about appearance.  Case in point, look at that goal net.  Holy crap, they took his school picture and used the rusted, beat-up, back up net.  If you watch any old games from the 70's and 80's you see the same thing, beat up nets with chipped posts and practically black netting hanging off the goal.  Today the goal is a perfectly painted red and the net is a crisp white, probably goes through the washer after every game.  Even the boards back then looked all beat up compared to today's pristine rinks.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yote 53 said:

I love how back in the old days hockey was a rough and tumble sport.  The sport did not care about appearance.  Case in point, look at that goal net.  Holy crap, they took his school picture and used the rusted, beat-up, back up net.  If you watch any old games from the 70's and 80's you see the same thing, beat up nets with chipped posts and practically black netting hanging off the goal.  Today the goal is a perfectly painted red and the net is a crisp white, probably goes through the washer after every game.  Even the boards back then looked all beat up compared to today's pristine rinks.

Yah, no a days, schools have two sets of nets-one set for practice and pre-game warmups and another set for the actual games. You should see the crappy nets we use in my Monument, CO league-you can hardly tell that the posts are supposed to be red and the netting looks like it’s ready to fall off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone here been to a game at Arizona State’s arena? I’m contemplating going there in December for the series against CC. I hear it’s a pretty small arena.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Has anyone here been to a game at Arizona State’s arena? I’m contemplating going there in December for the series against CC. I hear it’s a pretty small arena.

Yes.  Very small.  About half the size for seating as a normal Midwest HS rink.
If I remember correctly, Oceanside is less than 800 seats.  Unless they're playing the CC series at Gila?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Has anyone here been to a game at Arizona State’s arena? I’m contemplating going there in December for the series against CC. I hear it’s a pretty small arena.

I hear the tickets are hard to get at their arena.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2018 at 8:02 AM, Goon said:

Nope, wrong answer. Now you're just getting silly. 

net.png

So the players are bigger, stronger, and faster than ever and take up more space than ever.  After completely messing with OT and moving it from 5x5 to 4x4 and now 3x3, you don’t suppose it’s crazy to think the NHL might view taking another guy off the ice full-time in regulation to, you know, increase scoring chances.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2018 at 10:45 AM, Yote 53 said:

I love how back in the old days hockey was a rough and tumble sport.  The sport did not care about appearance.  Case in point, look at that goal net.  Holy crap, they took his school picture and used the rusted, beat-up, back up net.  If you watch any old games from the 70's and 80's you see the same thing, beat up nets with chipped posts and practically black netting hanging off the goal.  Today the goal is a perfectly painted red and the net is a crisp white, probably goes through the washer after every game.  Even the boards back then looked all beat up compared to today's pristine rinks.

Maybe the goalies could go back to brown goalie gear and everyone could wear wool jerseys, too!

No, thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×