SiouxSports.com Forum

2018-19 Non-UND College Hockey

cberkas

On 7/25/2018 at 6:47 PM, SiouxVolley said:

Imagine CC has gone through an elaborate planning process.  Sometimes a smaller rink could bring in bigger $s just based on ticket demand so ticket prices go up.  The students are more likely to be part of it too, as it doesn’t have the long job to World Arena.  Big games like the DU series can still be at World Arena.  Sucks for UND fans though, as they might be frozen out..

https://letsgodu.com/2018/07/18/neighborhood-uproar-forces-cc-to-alter-practice-facility-plans/

Getting past the satirical story, Puck Swami-whom I have a lot of respect for due to his high college hockey IQ and perspective-made some interesting observations about the new arena in the comments section. 

21 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

What is wrong with the occasional tie? You could have 4 x 4 OT periods and lengthen them 10 minutes. That would reduce the number of ties so we don't have teams with 20 ties at the end of the season.

Nothing really....unless there is a reasonable solution NOT to have a tie.  3x3 is perfect.  I'm not a huge fan of the shootouts however if it is regular season only, I guess I'm fine with it.  I love the game of hockey, so to see the skill some guys have during 3x3/shootouts gets my attention.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Strawman argument, not relevant to the point, especially considering the unlikeliness of it happening based on how many shootouts there have been and how often you hear of someone blowing their knee out (none that I can find for the record).

And I told you accept you are in the minority and deal with it. Penalty shots must be a stain on the integrity of a team game as well? Or are those excluded because a player might have had a breakaway?

Another strawman argument....

Is it a strawman argument because it's a strawman argument? Or is it a strawman argument because it doesn't match the narrative you are pushing? I say the latter.

Penalty shots are totally different. They are a deterrent to pulling down a guy on a breakaway. That, my friend, is a strawman argument if I have ever heard one.

And you conveniently skipped over my comment earlier when I said I could live with the shootout in regular season games......just as long as they are not used in playoff games. But since Goon has assured us that will never, ever happen, I will stop worrying about it (no joke, I do think he is right).

And finally, you are basically telling me to shut up. That is bush league. I don't tell other people what to say or not to say. You should seriously consider doing the same.

15 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Is it a strawman argument because it's a strawman argument? Or is it a strawman argument because it doesn't match the narrative you are pushing? I say the latter.

Penalty shots are totally different. They are a deterrent to pulling down a guy on a breakaway. That, my friend, is a strawman argument if I have ever heard one.

And you conveniently skipped over my comment earlier when I said I could live with the shootout in regular season games......just as long as they are not used in playoff games. But since Goon has assured us that will never, ever happen, I will stop worrying about it (no joke, I do think he is right).

And finally, you are basically telling me to shut up. That is bush league. I don't tell other people what to say or not to say. You should seriously consider doing the same.

#notmyovertime #resistshootouts :D

19 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Strawman argument, not relevant to the point, especially considering the unlikeliness of it happening based on how many shootouts there have been and how often you hear of someone blowing their knee out (none that I can find for the record).

And I told you accept you are in the minority and deal with it. Penalty shots must be a stain on the integrity of a team game as well? Or are those excluded because a player might have had a breakaway?

Another strawman argument....

Yes, because being hauled down on a clean breakaway with 9 other skaters and 2 goalies on the ice with you during the course of a game is the same thing as a completely uncontested goal-scoring attempt with only the opposing goalie trying to stop you from earning your team an extra point in "OT."  Talk about strawman... 

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Give me an example of a player blowing out a knee in an overtime shootout (your exact example) otherwise, yes, it is a complete strawman argument. 

The matter of which they come about are different, however they still seem like they would be "a stain on the integrity of a team game". I mean there's no teamwork involved. (Yes I understand the ridiculousness of this point. Yes it was done intentionally to show how ridiculous some of these arguments, including this one, are).

So you're completely worked about something that has not ever been considered, proposed or mentioned other than anyone but yourself? Wow.

No, I'm telling you to learn to accept that you're in the minority on your opinion and also, apparently not whine about something that isn't on anyone's radar but you're own. 

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

Yes, because being hauled down on a clean breakaway with 9 other skaters and 2 goalies on the ice with you during the course of a game is the same thing as a completely uncontested goal-scoring attempt with only the opposing goalie trying to stop you from earning your team an extra point in "OT."  Talk about strawman... 

It was strictly a tongue in cheek jab at the comment that shootouts are "a stain on the integrity of a team game". If that is apparently the moral fabric on which hockey is built, remove penalty shots and just give a power play.

• Upvote 1

Penalty shot: during the course of a team game one team acted, or the other team erred, such that a player was left with an uncontested scoring opportunity that was interrupted by an illegal play. 

Shootout: we'll just give you the uncontested opportunity despite it not being earned by team play or illegal action. 

What I don't like in shootouts or even 3x3 OT is that you're playing a different game (new rules == new game) to decide the prior (tie) game. 

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Penalty shot: during the course of a team game one team acted, or the other team erred, such that a player was left with an uncontested scoring opportunity that was interrupted by an illegal play. 

Shootout: we'll just give you the uncontested opportunity despite it not being earned by team play or illegal action. 

I JUST SAID THAT!  

This post sponsored by The Sicatoka Redundant Department of Redundancy.  :lol:

4 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I JUST SAID THAT!  

This post sponsored by The Sicatoka Redundant Department of Redundancy.  :lol:

No, the Department of Redundancy Department. :p

Some folks don't get it unless you say it twice ... or more. ;)  

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Yeah, Shootouts suck!! :wink:

Taking nothing away from TJ Oshie and his success rate in the shootout in this game, reducing an Olympic hockey game to a one man vs one goalie event to decide the outcome is nothing short of a total abomination.  

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Taking nothing away from TJ Oshie and his success rate in the shootout in this game, reducing an Olympic hockey game to a one man vs one goalie event to decide the outcome is nothing short of a total abomination.  

In the medal rounds, there is a 20 min overtime before they go to a shootout.  So while it happens often in the prelim rounds, not as often in the medal round.  But I agree, it is ridiculous that the gold medal can be determined by a shootout (Twam USA Womens hockey)

That being said, Shootout for a regular season game is the best way to decide a winner without dragging on the game for multiple OT's.  There are 82 NHL games and 30+ College games that don't need to go past 5 mins (or 10 mins for some conferences) into overtime.  Shootouts are the best way to quickly determine a winner during games in the regular season.  Playoffs, obviously those need to be played out.

4 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

In the medal rounds, there is a 20 min overtime before they go to a shootout.  So while it happens often in the prelim rounds, not as often in the medal round. 

A)  The preliminary rounds determine who makes the medal round.  Losing in a shoot-out in a mini-tournament has a significant effect on who advances and who doesn't.

B)  It happens often in the preliminary rounds because lesser-talented teams are TRYING to get to the shootout instead of attempting to win the game outright.  Kind of like soccer teams sandbagging in the hopes of getting to penalty kicks.  

Shootouts are an abomination!

tumblr_ltw767f9731qjhzako1_500.gif

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

Holy hyperbole, Batman! :)

• Upvote 1