SiouxSports.com Forum

2018-19 Non-UND College Hockey

cberkas

3 hours ago, Walsh Hall said:

What does a one-goal game in the third period have to do with the popularity of a shootout?    If you want to compare things, at least try to compare comparable things.

Goon claims that he's never seen anyone leave a shoot-out.  If people are leaving 1-goal games late in the 3rd, trust me, there are people leaving during a shootout.  But since Goon's apparently never seen anyone do so, it must be true.  Besides, I read it on the internet...

As I previously stated.  Virtually every professional league in the world uses the shootout.  And every league that has adopted the shootout still has it.  they haven't reverted back.  More people like the shootout more than games ending in a tie.  Like I said.  If you don't like it, that's fine.  But the majority of the hockey fans around the worked like it, so it's not going anywhere.  

4 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I usually leave during a shootout after a non-conference tie; those are meaningless and a waste of everyone's time. My basic point is that the shootout is an abomination to the sport; I don't care how "entertaining" it is. You are reducing the outcome of a team game to a cute skills competition. Unacceptable.

You are in the minority. Accept that and it will help you understand why the majority of leagues are using a shootout.

3 hours ago, HockeyFan31 said:

Ties were a part of hockey for a looooooooooooooooong time. I guess I don't understand the need to have a 'winner'.

Because it's what the majority of fans want to see. 

3 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I can live with the shootout for regular season NCHC games. But let's eliminate the shootouts after non-conference ties; they serve ZERO purpose since no conference points are on the line.

Except for entertainment for the majority of people who paid for tickets.

56 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Goon claims that he's never seen anyone leave a shoot-out.  If people are leaving 1-goal games late in the 3rd, trust me, there are people leaving during a shootout.  But since Goon's apparently never seen anyone do so, it must be true.  Besides, I read it on the internet...

Holy $h!t, you're on a roll today. That might have been an exaggeration on my part, for example, I've seen fans say that they're offended by a fight in hockey, but for the most part, you don't see people heading for the exits during fights. More times than not, I think that would be the same for a shootout. 

Simple question; folks that leave a close hockey game with a minute left are they really fans out just out attending an event? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

You are in the minority. Accept that and it will help you understand why the majority of leagues are using a shootout.

Because it's what the majority of fans want to see.

Except for entertainment for the majority of people who paid for tickets.

So if someone blows out a knee during a non-conference shootout (which counts for NOTHING in the NCHC standings), we shouldn't have a problem with it? SMH

And like I said before, I don't care how many people like shootouts. I think they are a stain on the integrity of a team game.

If a majority of fans wanted to make the nets 50% bigger, should we just do that as well?

46 minutes ago, Goon said:

Holy $h!t, you're on a roll today. That might have been an exaggeration on my part, for example, I've seen fans say that they're offended by a fight in hockey, but for the most part, you don't see people heading for the exits during fights. More times than not, I think that would be the same for a shootout. 

Simple question; folks that leave a close hockey game with a minute left are they really fans out just out attending an event? 

I agree with you on fighting in hockey, as long as it isn't one of those staged fights.

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

So if someone blows out a knee during a non-conference shootout (which counts for NOTHING in the NCHC standings), we shouldn't have a problem with it? SMH

And like I said before, I don't care how many people like shootouts. I think they are a stain on the integrity of a team game.

If a majority of fans wanted to make the nets 50% bigger, should we just do that as well?

I've never seen anyone blow out a knee at a shootout. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Strawman argument, not relevant to the point, especially considering the unlikeliness of it happening based on how many shootouts there have been and how often you hear of someone blowing their knee out (none that I can find for the record).

And I told you accept you are in the minority and deal with it. Penalty shots must be a stain on the integrity of a team game as well? Or are those excluded because a player might have had a breakaway?

Another strawman argument....

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Injuries unfortunately happen.  No one with any sense would attribute your hypothetical injury to being related to the inclusion of a shootout.

The majority of the fans wouldn't be in favor of a huge net because that makes no sense.  There are a few options when a game ends regulation in a tie.  The numbers of ties has risen substantially in recent years.  Of the potential viable options it seems that the fans, owners, player's associations, media, ... of EVERY SINGLE LEAGUE have come to the same conclusion.  Pee Wee teams use the same system for ties.

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

That apparently depends on whether the NHL makes that change.  If they do, the answer should automatically be “yes.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

“I’ve personally never seen that so that means it never happens...”

Not a blown out knee, but a two-second Google search found this...

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/oilers-fasth-leaves-shootout-early/

It wasn't an official shootout, since there was no goalie in net, but Mr. Hirsch narrowly escaped being hurt on a shootout attempt.   He buried his shot though. 

8 minutes ago, burd said:

It wasn't an official shootout, since there was no goalie in net, but Mr. Hirsch narrowly escaped being hurt on a shootout attempt.   He buried his shot though. 

Hmm.