SiouxSports.com Forum

2018-19 Non-UND College Hockey

cberkas

13 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I usually leave during a shootout after a non-conference tie; those are meaningless and a waste of everyone's time. My basic point is that the shootout is an abomination to the sport; I don't care how "entertaining" it is. You are reducing the outcome of a team game to a cute skills competition. Unacceptable.

There are a lot of things you classify as unacceptable, but apparently the hockey world finds it acceptable, so you're going to have to deal with it.  I hope I don't look back and see you commenting on Christian Wolanin's  slap shot shootout winner.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, tnt said:

There are a lot of things you classify as unacceptable, but apparently the hockey world finds it acceptable, so you're going to have to deal with it.  I hope I don't look back and see you commenting on Christian Wolanin's  slap shot shootout winner.

Nice cheap shot. You couldn't stay on topic, could you?

Obviously, as long as there are shootouts, I want our team to grab that extra league point. That doesn't mean I like the idea of using them in a team sport.

When there is a serious proposal to start using shootouts in the Stanley Cup playoffs, I will be nice enough not to come on here and say "See, I told you so."

25 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Nice cheap shot. You couldn't stay on topic, could you?

Obviously, as long as there are shootouts, I want our team to grab that extra league point. That doesn't mean I like the idea of using them in a team sport.

When there is a serious proposal to start using shootouts in the Stanley Cup playoffs, I will be nice enough not to come on here and say "See, I told you so."

Shootouts in the Stanley Cup Playoffs are never going to happen.  It has never been proposed to determine any playoff game (as far as I know) at any level of hockey.  So if they don't do it for termite championships, they certainly aren't going to do if for the Stanley Cup.  

If you don't like the shootout, guess what, you don't have to stay and watch it.  You have the freedom to get out of your seat and leave.  Ain't America great!!  But when every level of professional hockey around the world uses it, that tells you it must be pretty popular.  You have the right to have your opinion about shootouts.  But just know that it is the minority opinion.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Nice anecdotal evidence.  I’ve seen fans leave a 3-2 game with 1:00 left on the clock in regulation.  Are you claiming that a shootout is more popular than a one-goal game late in the 3rd? 

Edit -- So, you're at a Red Wings game, are you leaving during this?

20 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Are you drinking my friend? The NHL isn't going to decide playoff games with the shootout. However, the NHL season is 82 games long, they can't have a bunch of games going to never-ending overtimes. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Goon said:

Are you drinking my friend? The NHL isn't going to decide playoff games with the shootout. However, the NHL season is 82 games long, they can't have a bunch of games going to never-ending overtimes. 

What is wrong with the occasional tie? You could have 4 x 4 OT periods and lengthen them 10 minutes. That would reduce the number of ties so we don't have teams with 20 ties at the end of the season.

15 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Shootouts in the Stanley Cup Playoffs are never going to happen.  It has never been proposed to determine any playoff game (as far as I know) at any level of hockey.  So if they don't do it for termite championships, they certainly aren't going to do if for the Stanley Cup.  

If you don't like the shootout, guess what, you don't have to stay and watch it.  You have the freedom to get out of your seat and leave.  Ain't America great!!  But when every level of professional hockey around the world uses it, that tells you it must be pretty popular.  You have the right to have your opinion about shootouts.  But just know that it is the minority opinion.

I have no desire to run with the herd (whether it be the shootout herd or the NDSU Thundering Herd). I honestly don't care if 99% of the population likes shootouts, I think they are stupid.

Do any leagues not use a shootout in the regular season?  This issue has been decided.  You don't have to like it, but it's already decided.

Leaving a game after a tie is awful.  In many ways it's worse than a loss from a fan perspective.  It sure seems to me that the excitement level of the fans and players ratchets up several notches for a shootout. 

There's  no chance playoff games will be decided by a shootout.  

11 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

Leaving a game after a tie is awful.  In many ways it's worse than a loss from a fan perspective.  It sure seems to me that the excitement level of the fans and players ratchets up several notches for a shootout.

It depends what side of the tie you're on IMO. If your team gives up a late lead and end up in a tie it leaves you thinking your team really gave one away. If your team comes back late to even the score and escape with a tie you kind of breath a sigh of relief feeling like you really stole a point.

Ties were a part of hockey for a looooooooooooooooong time. I guess I don't understand the need to have a 'winner'.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, HockeyFan31 said:

Ties were a part of hockey for a looooooooooooooooong time. I guess I don't understand the need to have a 'winner'.

The problem in the NHL is that some teams were ending the season with 15-20 ties. That obviously is a problem. Thus the shootout was added. I personally think a 10 minute 4 x 4 OT would dramatically cut down on the ties and I wish college hockey would adopt it uniformly across all leagues.

I can live with the shootout for regular season NCHC games. But let's eliminate the shootouts after non-conference ties; they serve ZERO purpose since no conference points are on the line.

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

The problem in the NHL is that some teams were ending the season with 15-20 ties. That obviously is a problem. Thus the shootout was added. I personally think a 10 minute 4 x 4 OT would dramatically cut down on the ties and I wish college hockey would adopt it uniformly across all leagues.

I can live with the shootout for regular season NCHC games. But let's eliminate the shootouts after non-conference ties; they serve ZERO purpose since no conference points are on the line.

The other problem with the NHL system, like I said earlier, is that teams get a point just for making it to OT. You see too many games where teams just shut down and play for OT to make sure they get one point.

• Upvote 1

Ties were a part of hockey for a long time... and they sucked...and there started to be way to many of them.  Lower scoring games, more parity, way more ties.  

Strategies change.  Equipment changes.  Games Evolve. Rules change to fit the times.

in the past 12 years UND has had an average of 4.5 ties/year.  From '46-'82 the average was less than one tie each year.

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I sure hope you are right about this. However, I have learned in this world to never say never about anything.

There's no chance that a Stanley Cup will be decided by a shootout. You can bank on it. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

What is wrong with the occasional tie? You could have 4 x 4 OT periods and lengthen them 10 minutes. That would reduce the number of ties so we don't have teams with 20 ties at the end of the season.

They suck. It's like kissing your sister. Hmm. Not sure how you would measure that? But, I did read that in a Grand Forks Herald gamer one time. 

4 minutes ago, Goon said:

They suck. It's like kissing your sister. Hmm. Not sure how you would measure that? But, I did read that in a Grand Forks Herald gamer one time. 

How you would measure it? Just go back to two points per game and each team gets one point for a tie. And if you went to 4x4 for 10 minutes, you would drastically reduce the number of ties. You can bank on that.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

How you would measure it? Just go back to two points per game and each team gets one point for a tie. And if you went to 4x4 for 10 minutes, you would drastically reduce the number of ties. You can bank on that.

Lol, I was making a joke about the sister kissing. Sorry... :) 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Goon said:

Have I been advocating 320 minutes of sudden-death OT?  

• Upvote 1