SiouxSports.com Forum

2018-19 Non-UND College Hockey

cberkas

12 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

OK, so why don't we make hockey a full-time 3x3 game?

What?   They play the game.  Many hockey games end regulation in a tie, so 3x3 is a viable method to have a skilled and exciting way to break the tie.

I personally think the regular season NHL games are more exciting in the last few minutes of regulation and OT now than under the old rules where there was basically no offense and teams played for the tie.

1 hour ago, Godsmack said:

I don't understand why CC would move to a 3000 seat arena, regardless of its on-campus location. They regularly attract 4000+ to home games at World Arena.

What am I missing?

1 hour ago, Walsh Hall said:

What?   They play the game.  Many hockey games end regulation in a tie, so 3x3 is a viable method to have a skilled and exciting way to break the tie.

I personally think the regular season NHL games are more exciting in the last few minutes of regulation and OT now than under the old rules where there was basically no offense and teams played for the tie.

It all boils down to changing the rules for the post-season after a different set of criteria was used to decide the outcome of games in the regular season.  Florida made the playoffs a few years ago thanks to an astronomical shoot-out record and was promptly bounced out in the first round.  Why is a regular-season gimmick part of the criteria that decides who makes the playoffs and who doesn't?

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

It all boils down to changing the rules for the post-season after a different set of criteria was used to decide the outcome of games in the regular season.  Florida made the playoffs a few years ago thanks to an astronomical shoot-out record and was promptly bounced out in the first round.  Why is a regular-season gimmick part of the criteria that decides who makes the playoffs and who doesn't?

Because like the NHL, you can't play until the cows come home in every game in the regular season or you won't have any players left for the playoffs.   It may be a gimmick but most of us don't mind because the equivalent of kissing your sister, a tie,   isn't that appealing to the majority.  

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, tnt said:

Because like the NHL, you can't play until the cows come home in every game in the regular season or you won't have any players left for the playoffs.   It may be a gimmick but most of us don't mind because the equivalent of kissing your sister, a tie,   isn't that appealing to the majority.  

Will you say the same thing when someone proposes using the shootout in playoff games? It will happen, count on it.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Will you say the same thing when someone proposes using the shootout in playoff games? It will happen, count on it.

Someone proposing it and it actually happening are two completely different things. People have dumb ideas all the time and are free to express them.

• Upvote 1

Problem with the NHL is you get 2 pts for both a Regulation win and shoot out win.  Some are 3 pt games and some are 2 pt games.  Standing would look much different if they were to get 3 pts for a regulation win and 2 pts for shootout/3x3 win.

I think NHL does it the right way with exception of the point system.  If it were me at the end of 60 minutes you are tied each team gets 1 point them fight for the 3rd point in 3x3 and shoot out.  it has been proven that 3x3 and shoot out does affect the end of the year standing much in the NCHC.  It is fun to watch.  

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Someone proposing it and it actually happening are two completely different things. People have dumb ideas all the time and are free to express them.

I mean someone from the highest levels of the game (head coach, general manager) who has real influence on how things work (or don't work). Never say never about anything. We need to guard against shootouts having any place in the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

3 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Come on here and tell me I told you so when it does.  

8 hours ago, Godsmack said:

@Godsmack Happy for CC that they're getting an on-campus home but only 3000 seats? Makes no sense to me. 

4 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Would be nice if a school without D1 hockey could build this.  #downgrade

Please, NO PARTICIPATION BANNERS! We’ve been the butt of jokes by DU fans for years because of all those stupid participation banners hanging in World Arena. Hopefully they don’t hang those in the new barn. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, mikejm said:

I don't understand why CC would move to a 3000 seat arena, regardless of its on-campus location. They regularly attract 4000+ to home games at World Arena.

What am I missing?

We don’t yet know how or why the administration came up with 3,000 as the magic number. However, given my knowledge and experience with the school, it doesn’t surprise me that they’re willing to basically throw away additional revenue by building it too small given theyve drawn well over 4,000 these past few seasons when the team has been down (over 6,000 for many years when they were good). I’ve reached out to one of the beat writers to see if he knows why and/or if CC plans on disclosing how they decided on 3,000. 

15 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

We don’t yet know how or why the administration came up with 3,000 as the magic number. However, given my knowledge and experience with the school, it doesn’t surprise me that they’re willing to basically throw away additional revenue by building it too small given theyve drawn well over 4,000 these past few seasons when the team has been down (over 6,000 for many years when they were good). I’ve reached out to one of the beat writers to see if he knows why and/or if CC plans on disclosing how they decided on 3,000. 

Imagine CC has gone through an elaborate planning process.  Sometimes a smaller rink could bring in bigger $s just based on ticket demand so ticket prices go up.  The students are more likely to be part of it too, as it doesn’t have the long job to World Arena.  Big games like the DU series can still be at World Arena.  Sucks for UND fans though, as they might be frozen out..

DU has named Senior Colin Staub as their captain, replacing the recently departed Logan O’Connor who signed with the Colorado Avalanche. Jarid Lukosevicius, Tyson McLellan, and Ian Mitchell are the alternate captains. 

Staub is getting positive feedback from DU fans. He’s not a guy with a lot of fanfare. He played in the NAHL and has increased his production each of his first three seasons with the Pios but hasn’t put up eye-popping numbers. However, most captains tend to be leadership guys who lead but example, not necessarily judged by how many pucks they fill the net with. Reminds me of a recent UND captain, Steph Pattyn.

11 hours ago, tnt said:

Nobody was arguing for unlimited overtime in the regular season...

11 hours ago, HockeyFan31 said:

Don’t care. I find it to be incredibly boring and most of the time too calculated. 

Its better than a shootout but just barely. 

So you're the one fan that walks out of the building after the 5on5 OT.