SiouxSports.com Forum

Sandy?

gfhockey

4 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

By the same token, can we expect to see more than 2,400 fans in the seats per home game at Amzoil next season to watch the defending national champions play?  Or are they just great fans who watch on TV and listen to the radio as @BarnWinterSportsEngelstadstated earlier?

Last year at Amsoil told me all that I need to see about the fans.  UND in town.  1 vs 2 in the country.  Building wasn't full and was about half green.

4x that many people at The Ralph to watch a scrimmage vs Manitoba...and many times, on a Sunday night.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

How is that possible?? We were just told UND is getting spanked by UMD and Denver in the attendance department. I guess if you combine their attendance then they outpace UND 11,475 to 11,408, maybe that's what we're missing.

Oh that's my mistake, I didn't realize you were supposed to add the 2 schools together.

I will not be so cocky moving forward :lol:

8 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

a few years ago you said you would take one. time for you to just go away

Go easy on him, siouxkid12...the %gobc had an emergency meeting at midnight on Saturday (shortly after UMD's win) and it was decided that 1 title is no longer enough.  The memo just hasn't been distributed across SiouxSports.com yet.  

Let us put it all together here. The boys set an overtime record without an elite scorer and played in the toughest conference in hockey. They spanked the now National Champions in their last game. Yes they missed the tourney, yes it was a difficult year with all the ties, losses to weak teams, and low scoring games. You would be surprised as to what a summer of workout and reflection can do. I say the Sioux will be a top 5 team in the country next season. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

By the same token, can we expect to see more than 2,400 fans in the seats per home game at Amsoil next season to watch the defending national champions play?  Or are they just great fans who watch on TV and listen to the radio as @BarnWinterSportsEngelstadstated earlier?

I never said UMD has good fan attendance.  Win or lose they have never had strong attendance.  The fact remains there is a big difference between paid attendance and the number of people that show up.  UND's paid attendance has been really good.  However, anyone that went to a UND game the second half of the season could see a noticeable drop in actual attendance.  One season isn't cause to panic....but another season like this and all of a sudden you have a trend.  UND has never had to withstand multiple mediocre years in the new Ralph but as last season showed it doesn't take long for the crowds to thin out when the product isn't good.  Based on the iffy Freshman and Sophmore class performance to date....and an incoming class that seems to have only one pretty sure thing....it is fair to have concern about what the next couple years have in store. 

34 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

I never said UMD has good fan attendance.  Win or lose they have never had strong attendance.  The fact remains there is a big difference between paid attendance and the number of people that show up.  UND's paid attendance has been really good.  However, anyone that went to a UND game the second half of the season could see a noticeable drop in actual attendance.  One season isn't cause to panic....but another season like this and all of a sudden you have a trend.  UND has never had to withstand multiple mediocre years in the new Ralph but as last season showed it doesn't take long for the crowds to thin out when the product isn't good.  Based on the iffy Freshman and Sophmore class performance to date....and an incoming class that seems to have only one pretty sure thing....it is fair to have concern about what the next couple years have in store. 

Duluth fans would wet themselves if they could draw as well as our exhibition games' ACTUAL ATTENDANCE numbers.

3 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Duluth fans would wet themselves if they could draw as well as our exhibition games' ACTUAL ATTENDANCE numbers.

Once again, not sure why everyone is obsessed with comparing UND attendance to Duluth attendance.  UND attendance should be compared only to past UND attendance if UND wants to hold itself up as the gold standard for on ice product and attendance (not Mariucci sold out but empty arena attendance....real attendance).  

Not sure if Duluth fans would wet themselves if they had better attendance.  I think the bigger danger would be them wetting themselves posing next to the championship trophies that are starting to pile up there.  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Once again, not sure why everyone is obsessed with comparing UND attendance to Duluth attendance.  UND attendance should be compared only to past UND attendance if UND wants to hold itself up as the gold standard for on ice product and attendance (not Mariucci sold out but empty arena attendance....real attendance).  

Not sure if Duluth fans would wet themselves if they had better attendance.  I think the bigger danger would be them wetting themselves posing next to the championship trophies that are starting to pile up there.  

You are the one that began comparing them. I was pointing out the ridiculousness of it.

Seriously, get season tickets, contribute to their athletic department, go join the UMD Bulldog fan site... oh wait :lol:

33 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

So 2 is literally the bare minimum quantity of what could be considered a "pile".  

8>2

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Wondering if the Gophers had any interest in Sandelin?  Or was the UND alum issue just too much to overcome.  Hard to argue that he wouldn't have been a better hire than Motzko!

This is a big ? SandMan is probably about tooooo much rough house SIOUX in him for the goofs? Although, this year, one thing that seemed like part of the equation was that physical strength was part of the final product. Gophers do have a $600,000 hiring misfire in Motzko, some can't coach to raise the hardware. 

1 hour ago, TheFlop said:

I think the bigger danger would be them wetting themselves posing next to the championship trophies that are starting to pile up there.  

I am not really good at math, but eight is a lot better than two. They have a lot of catching up to do. 

On 4/9/2018 at 5:34 PM, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

This is a big ? SandMan is probably about tooooo much rough house SIOUX in him for the goofs? Although, this year, one thing that seemed like part of the equation was that physical strength was part of the final product. Gophers do have a $600,000 hiring misfire in Motzko, some can't coach to raise the hardware. 

Misfire?  He hasn’t even coached a game for the U yet.  Same thing was said about Lucia before his hire.  He had a terrible time in the WCHA and NCAA playoffs with CC prior to coming to the U but won it all in years 3 and 4.