SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 NCAA Tournament - Worst to First

MafiaMan

35 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I don't care what the reasons are. I just love the concept and make-up of the NCHC.

Just my 2 cents. Big thinkers in Fargo given a chance to rub elbows be in the Big 10 with any sport would say where do we sign. Hurry before they change there mind. Look what there doing to there downtown. Private money tax payer money makes no difference. Do whatever it takes to get the job done. 

I respect your opinion and you may know more about the hockey landscape than I.

• Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, moser53 said:

Just my 2 cents. Big thinkers in Fargo given a chance to rub elbows be in the Big 10 with any sport would say where do we sign. Hurry before they change there mind. Look what there doing to there downtown. Private money tax payer money makes no difference. Do whatever it takes to get the job done. 

I respect your opinion and you may know more about the hockey landscape than I.

Yeah, I'm (almost) with you.  I don't think being associated with the Big 10 can hurt.  Until you realize that UND's #1 sport is the rest of the conference's #3 sport (if lucky).  And that UND may not have much to say in terms of how the conference goes about its hockey business.  UND in Big 10 hockey is kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't.

4 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Yeah, I'm (almost) with you.  I don't think being associated with the Big 10 can hurt.  Until you realize that UND's #1 sport is the rest of the conference's #3 sport (if lucky).  And that UND may not have much to say in terms of how the conference goes about its hockey business.  UND in Big 10 hockey is kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If I had to put $ down.Big 10 will be #1 in hockey sooner than later.

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Even at #3, the B1G schools still have more fans and more of a financial commitment to hockey than the NCHC schools not located in North Dakota.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

Even at #3, the B1G schools still have more fans and more of a financial commitment to hockey than the NCHC schools not located in North Dakota.

Agreed. I say take the opportunity if given. We’d be silly to say no to the big 10, even if we lose some conference clout. 

On 3/22/2018 at 9:20 AM, MafiaMan said:

In order of who I would like to see win the NCAA tournament, from 16 to 1:

#16:  UMD  -- Remember 2011?  DrunkHockeyGuy needs a second natty about as much as he needs another beer.  No, thanks.

#13:  Notre Dame -- you think @JohnboyND7 is bad NOW?  Just imagine if the Fighting Irish win the NCAA title.

#7:  Michigan -- Mel Pearson's a likeable guy.    

This is not going as I'd hoped...

3 hours ago, Dustin said:

I'm not sure I agree there. I can't speak for every school, but SCSU and UMD are pretty big on hockey.

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

I'm not sure I agree there. I can't speak for every school, but SCSU and UMD are pretty big on hockey.

Well, that explains the always sold-out AMSOIL Arena and 3-year waiting list for season tickets up there.  Oh, wait...

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

Maybe you misunderstood- I was saying big 10 schools rank hockey as #3. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Maybe you misunderstood- I was saying big 10 schools rank hockey as #3. 

Ah. Ok. Well that's probably true then. 

I've met a number of Michigan fans who barely know or care they a team and Gopher fans who think they have been missing the playoffs because "the committee" is biased against them.

On 3/22/2018 at 9:20 AM, MafiaMan said:

In order of who I would like to see win the NCAA tournament, from 16 to 1:

#16:  UMD  -- Remember 2011?  DrunkHockeyGuy needs a second natty about as much as he needs another beer.  No, thanks.

#13:  Notre Dame -- you think @JohnboyND7 is bad NOW?  Just imagine if the Fighting Irish win the NCAA title.

Worst.  Tournament.  Ever.

IMO this was best-case scenario today with the 4 given teams.

You had UMD win to kill any chance for a B10 final.  And then ND killed any chance for Michigan getting to 10 titles.
Now for the championship, each team winning has it's advantages and disadvantages:

UMD - ADV: keep it in the NCHC (3 years in a row!) / DIS: have to deal with the UMD DHG's of the world rejoicing over their diving championship
ND - ADV: always cool to see a program get their 1st / DIS: B10 gets a year to brag

• Upvote 2

Going to,be an interesting final....someone asked 'what would it take to get Sandelin back to UND?'.....start with 500K/year....other than being an alum, why would he want to? Area talent pool much  better/deeper in Duluth than GF...For most MN kids, UND is 4th/5th fav team...(Poolmsn's exceptions as their dad works within the UND program)

GO DAWGS....(drive the haters crazy)

• Downvote 3

2 hours ago, John W. said:

Going to,be an interesting final....someone asked 'what would it take to get Sandelin back to UND?'.....start with 500K/year....other than being an alum, why would he want to? Area talent pool much  better/deeper in Duluth than GF...For most MN kids, UND is 4th/5th fav team...(Poolmsn's exceptions as their dad works within the UND program)

GO DAWGS....(drive the haters crazy)

received_10103021938842425.gif

• Upvote 3