SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 NCAA Tournament - Worst to First

MafiaMan

In order of who I would like to see win the NCAA tournament, from 16 to 1:

#16:  UMD  -- Remember 2011?  DrunkHockeyGuy needs a second natty about as much as he needs another beer.  No, thanks.

#15:  Ohio State -- "Hey, our Buckeyes won the national title.  Whoop-dee-doo.  When is football's first spring practice?"

#14:  Princeton -- All hell would break loose if this happened.  Think Alpha Betas getting beat by the Trim Lambs bad.  

#13:  Notre Dame -- you think @JohnboyND7 is bad NOW?  Just imagine if the Fighting Irish win the NCAA title.

#12:  Clarkson -- nothing says "meh" like the idea of Clarkson winning the NCAA title.

#11:  Denver -- Monty going back-to-back just like "The Gwoz" did?  Nah.  

#10:  Boston University -- After last season's review debacle?  Nope.  

#9:  Penn State -- Too soon.  Great fans, though.    

#8:  St. Cloud State -- It wouldn't be the end of the world because Motzko would certainly stay with the Huskies.    

#7:  Michigan -- Mel Pearson's a likeable guy.    

#6:  Cornell -- It's about time the Big Red harkened back to the golden days of yore.

#5:  Minnesota State-Mankato -- This would also keep Mike Hastings away from Goldy...and Minnesota fans would pee their pants over this one.

#4:  Northeastern -- Boston College and Boston U would each throw up a little bit in their respective mouths if this were to happen.

#3:  Air Force Academy -- Man, this would be all sorts of awesome.  2018, win an NCAA title.  2020, join the NCHC.

#2:  Michigan Tech --Party like it's the mid 1970's, Techies.  This would be so sweet for 'da UP.

#1:  Providence College --  Well, I have family ties there, so this should be obviosu.  Besides, I want to hear Bucci yell out "LITTLE RHODY!  BIG MAN ON CAMPUS!" one more time.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

I think your list is spot on, maybe dump Providence to 3 as I have no relatives in the vicinity.  If we had a bracket challenge game I would be flipping a coin for BU or Providence to come out of that regional.  but no game cause we are sore losers...

Providence should be lower.  Their last natty was bs, considering they were the 16th seed and got placed in the providence regional for attendance reasons, when they weren't even the host, and it wasn't due to bracket integrity.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

#16:  UMD  -- Remember 2011?  DrunkHockeyGuy needs a second natty about as much as he needs another beer.  No, thanks.

#15:  Ohio State -- "Hey, our Buckeyes won the national title.  Whoop-dee-doo.  When is football's first spring practice?"

#14:  Princeton -- All hell would break loose if this happened.  Think Alpha Betas getting beat by the Trim Lambs bad.  

#13:  Notre Dame -- you think @JohnboyND7 is bad NOW?  Just imagine if the Fighting Irish win the NCAA title.

#12:  Clarkson -- nothing says "meh" like the idea of Clarkson winning the NCAA title.

#8:  St. Cloud State -- It wouldn't be the end of the world because Motzko would certainly stay with the Huskies.    

#6:  Cornell -- It's about time the Big Red harkened back to the golden days of yore.

#5:  Minnesota State-Mankato -- This would also keep Mike Hastings away from Goldy...and Minnesota fans would pee their pants over this one.

#4:  Northeastern -- Boston College and Boston U would each throw up a little bit in their respective mouths if this were to happen.

#3:  Air Force Academy -- Man, this would be all sorts of awesome.  2018, win an NCAA title.  2020, join the NCHC.

#2:  Michigan Tech --Party like it's the mid 1970's, Techies.  This would be so sweet for 'da UP.

#1:  Providence College --  Well, I have family ties there, so this should be obviosu.  Besides, I want to hear Bucci yell out "LITTLE RHODY!  BIG MAN ON CAMPUS!" one more time.

You have fam in Prov? Uhhhh...same. That makes me nervous.

Btw, If ND wins, I will post every day for a year reminding you guys they won.

15 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Providence should be lower.  Their last natty was bs, considering they were the 16th seed and got placed in the providence regional for attendance reasons, when they weren't even the host, and it wasn't due to bracket integrity.

That is a big part of my reasoning, highlight the "home ice" dilemma...   I am an advocate (and my dog is my audience) for home ice for #1 seeds and maybe, just maybe  a Providence "bs" natty again would poke the bear...

53 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

16. Denver--can't have Denver get to 9 ahead of us

15. Michigan--can't get to 10 ahead of us

14. Ohio St.--nah

13. Notre Dame--boring

12. BU--not as bad as BC, but still bitter about last year

11. Northeastern--fun to watch but my anti-eastern bias shows

10. Providence--you just got one and I was there cheering for you

9. Penn State--fun team to watch but I might have a little anti B10 bias?

8. Clarkson--kind of cool to pull a double...but their colors are heinous

7. Princeton--Haven't seen them this year but playing well right now. the ECAC has had enough success lately

6. UMD--tough one, want to cheer conference mate and Sandelin but tough to cheer a dirty diving squad

5. Michigan Tech--great for hockey if they win

4. Air Force--tough to go against Serratore

3. Minnesota St.-Mankato--why not, future conference mate?

2. SCSU--not sure why so many are anti St. Cloud. They are fun to watch and it might take the chip off their shoulder if they got one.

1. Cornell--old softball teammate and friend's kid plays for Cornell....great job this season by the Fargo media of picking up on this.:glare:

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, petey23 said:

14. Ohio St.--nah

13. Notre Dame--boring

7. Princeton--Haven't seen them this year but playing well right now. the ECAC has had enough success lately

6. UMD--tough one, want to cheer conference mate and Sandelin but tough to cheer a dirty diving squad

2. SCSU--not sure why so many are anti St. Cloud. They are fun to watch and it might take the chip off their shoulder if they got one.

1. Cornell--old softball teammate and friend's kid plays for Cornell....great job this season by the Fargo media of picking up on this.:glare:

very good list, can't really dispute any of your choices

19 minutes ago, petey23 said:

14. Ohio St.--nah

13. Notre Dame--boring

I think it has to do with their fans... 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I think it has to do with their fans... 

Some folks say the same thing about us...I got an earful from some BC fans in 2011 who said they were sick and tired of UND fans complaining about how we haven't won a title lately and how we feel like we're "entitled" to championships...

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Some folks say the same thing about us...I got an earful from some BC fans in 2011 who said they were sick and tired of UND fans complaining about how we haven't won a title lately and how we feel like we're "entitled" to championships...

Yup, I’ve had bad experiences with both SCSU and UMD fans so it taints my view on their teams. 

Though I think UMD is a bunch of cheap thugs, but feel no ill will toward any SCSU players... so if I had to pick one, I know where I’d vote. 

I think Motzko can be a turd, Monty has surpassed his turdines and Sandy seems to vying for a place at the bowl.  Having an opposing coach that needs chirping is more fun for us fans.  But I do think they can be good coaches, of the three turds mentioned, Bobbo is most deserving.  Monty's comments to the press about his team did not sit well with me as I am of the opinion you don't call out people in the press (well maybe opponents and officials) and Sandy's dirty divers makes me wonder if the green has worn completely off....

4 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Yup, I’ve had bad experiences with both SCSU and UMD fans so it taints my view on their teams. 

Though I think UMD is a bunch of cheap thugs, but feel no ill will toward any SCSU players... so if I had to pick one, I know where I’d vote. 

I have memory issues but wasn't the UMD thugs more of last years player, Iafallo, that goalie running Dman, etc?  Who is this years thug?

58 minutes ago, keikla said:

I wouldn't have a problem with St Cloud winning it either.  As I mentioned in another thread, Motzko's clubs usually play clean, fast, good hockey.  If an NCHC team wins, my top choice would for sure be St. Cloud.

I find the SCSU Huskies to be insufferable. They dive up and down the ice. I am fine with Air Force, Northeastern or Providence winning it all.