SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 West Regional - Attendance

NoiseInsideMyHead

Attendance at 2018 West Regional in Sioux Falls  

100 members have voted

1. 1. In light of UND's historic NCAA streak coming to an end, are you still planning to attend the 2018 West Regional in Sioux Falls?

• Yes - obtained tickets before UND was eliminated
    • Yes - obtained tickets after UND eliminated
    • Yes - haven't obtained tickets yet
    • No - obtained tickets before UND was eliminated, but not using
    • No - deferred ticket decision until after UND eliminated, decided not to go
    • No - never intended to go regardless
    • Don't know / not decided
    • Yes, but only if I cannot unload my tickets

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/23/2018 at 05:00 PM

Ok, So I've decided not to mess with the weather (believe it our not, my eight year old is in tears over the decision).  So I just call the box office at the Denny and give them my name and who I donated to, and they'll handle it from there?

1 minute ago, Boogieman said:

Ok, So I've decided not to mess with the weather (believe it our not, my eight year old is in tears over the decision).  So I just call the box office at the Denny and give them my name and who I donated to, and they'll handle it from there?

I bought mine on TicketMaster and simply sent the 'print at home' .pdf as an e-mail attachment.

The poll closes in a few hours, but as the pollster, I'll go ahead and make some preliminary observations:

Even with most votes coming in before the weather situation was imminent, it is fairly clear that UND fans were not going to be filling the stands this weekend, even if it meant losing money on tickets.

I sometimes wonder whether UND hockey fans are also 'hockey fans.'  Judging from certain events in Grand Forks of late (U18 worlds, womens USA vs CAN, Iowa Wild vs Moose exhibition), I would tend to say no.  The relative lack of excitement about this UND-hosted NCAA regional within moderate driving distance doesn't change that answer with respect to college hockey, although I know a number of you are frequent attendees at the Frozen Four.  Maybe the ultimate test would be a UND-less regional in Fargo, but let's hope that doesn't happen.

The 36% of you who 'never intended to go' surprised me -- I suppose that knowing the geographic makeup of that bloc would be helpful, and maybe some of you were planning on going to the Frozen Four instead.

The 23% who hadn't yet bought tickets is also a bit surprising as demand was initially very high (i.e., the lower bowl basically sold out) -- but I guess you would have had access to the upper bowl, the other teams' unused allotments, and the secondary market.

Not really surprising to hear this week that the participating schools did not use up their allotments; as another person pointed out, UND really is in rarefied air when it comes to traveling fan support.

The tickets forum here, and peeks yesterday at Craigslist in both GF and Sioux Falls tell a similar story.  Paid attendance will, of course, be strong and the NCAA should be pleased.  Butts-in-seats is the question, and we'll have to see how things look (unfortunately, on television).  If you are at the games, feel free to post pics and/or your observations of the crowd.

The surprise ending is that several of us appear to have seized upon a unique opportunity to make charitable donations to good causes in and around SF, especially those that can brighten some kids' weekends and possibly even ignite a passion for hockey.  I hope that Sioux Falls' youth hockey is also promoting the event, and that unsold tickets will not go unused.

Thanks for participating!

Agreed that it's a shockingly high number of people who never intended to go. Like I posted earlier, if things lined up better, we probably still would have gone, but getting my wife to drive 6 hrs for non-UND hockey is pushing my luck when she's put up with me thru the whole season. 

I was also VERY surprised at the lack of attendance at the U18. We only went for the semifinals, but with US and Canada both in action, I expected a much better turn out. 

I wish we lived closer to GF because there are plenty of cheap tickets the last couple yrs

The other factor is the FF in St. Paul

We are fortunate that many people began the season with the reality possibility that....

A weekend in St. Paul...

followed by a weekend in Sioux Falls...

followed by a weekend in St. Paul.....

Is just not affordable for all of us and had to make choices..... Sioux Falls  was odd man out in the budget.

Sioux Falls is close but by no means an interesting destination...... unless your vacation plans include applebees and looking at a big hole next to the interstate.....

.....actually the coolest thing to see in SF may be the 3 sheet iceplex that sells beer at the concessions. SD hockey does one thing right.

All that being said... I dont believe the poll. If UND was there, people would have fought their way through the storm to pack the Denny.

45 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

I sometimes wonder whether UND hockey fans are also 'hockey fans.'  Judging from certain events in Grand Forks of late (U18 worlds, womens USA vs CAN, Iowa Wild vs Moose exhibition), I would tend to say no.  The relative lack of excitement about this UND-hosted NCAA regional within moderate driving distance doesn't change that answer with respect to college hockey, although I know a number of you are frequent attendees at the Frozen Four.  Maybe the ultimate test would be a UND-less regional in Fargo, but let's hope that doesn't happen.

That does beg some questions, but it's hard to draw too many conclusions.  I'll illustrate by using my situation:  I was one of the 26 (as I write this) who have tickets, but aren't attending.  The reason is purely economics.  The associated costs of attending (hotels, travel, meals, etc) that I'll save by not going, are why I'm not going.  We're hockey fans.  We were at the NCHC last weekend.  We'll be at the Frozen Four in 2 weeks (had tickets since October).  In between, we'll be attending 2-3 Fargo Force games.  We'll still be at hockey, but a weekend like Sioux Falls would cost me roughly $600 + the tickets.  Having just done the NCHC, I know this number to be true for us (you may spend more, or less, as we all do these events a little differently).  If UND was there, I'd spend that money.  Without them there, that money puts new tires on my daughter's car.  

Finally, let's never have a UND-less regional in Fargo.  I don't even want to think about it...

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, streetsahead said:

Agreed. Although I'd actually be a lot more likely to attend a UND-less Fargo regional than Sioux Falls.

I'd definitely still go to the Fargo one, as I'd have virtually no additional costs.  It today's games were here, I'd already have made lunch plans for the pre-game.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

The 36% of you who 'never intended to go' surprised me -- I suppose that knowing the geographic makeup of that bloc would be helpful, and maybe some of you were planning on going to the Frozen Four instead.

Live in Twin Cities, attended both times in Fargo (first time buying tickets from SCSU, second time getting lucky in the sale) and stayed with friends/family.  However, this March was very busy in life in other ways (extended vacation, selling home, and other stuff) and no lodging connections in Sioux Falls.  Also, would need PTO at work with a Friday game and took a bunch for vacation.  Frozen Four also being in town which likely would not be a cheap ticket should UND make it.  

All those things combined, it was a year to sit out.  Hopeful to be in Fargo a third time, and hopeful UND will be as well!

1 minute ago, KoolGuy2K said:

Think UND and the Denny will bid for future regionals? 

Why not?  The Denny has to know the situation and the possibility that the "host" wont be there.  Besides, I highly doubt the regional bid fee is all that high.  The NCAA is already having difficulty filling the four regional slots each year (see: Notre Dame a couple years ago). 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Siouxper Kev said:

Why not?  The Denny has to know the situation and the possibility that the "host" wont be there.  Besides, I highly doubt the regional bid fee is all that high.  The NCAA is already having difficulty filling the four regional slots each year (see: Notre Dame a couple years ago). 

I hope so. It would be nice to keep a rotation between Fargo and Sioux Falls. I was just wondering if someone had come across any info if they would. 

Does anyone know if the Loge Boxes at the Premier Center will have beer during the regional? They aren’t your typical suite but more like the bars at the Ralph I think. Figured I would ask because I just got offered two tickets in them from work although I already have my own ticket elsewhere. Thanks!

First off, my heart breaks for the family that lost two kids on I-29 yesterday.

Did anyone do (or try) the SF-GFK drive Sunday?  

Personally, after watching crazy heavy snow fall in GF most of the day, I feel like it was a good call not to go.

As for Friday, I did take an occasional peek at SD road conditions that morning, and I don't think it would have been too much of an issue getting to Sioux Falls.

No regrets here.

We did the trip this past weekend and are glad that we decided to go.  For the most part the road from Fargo to Sioux Falls was fine except for right on top of the Buffalo Ridge hill near Summit, SD on the trip home.  There were patches of blowing snow sticking to the road and a vehicle in front of us spun out and slid into the median.  Two of us managed to push the car back onto the road and that was the end of it.  Other than that the conditions were good.  We did the trip in just under four hours driving each way.

The Denny Sanford Arena is very nice.  The lower bowl seats are nicer than the upper bowl.  I am sure the announced attendance was based on tickets but the butts in the seats were definitely far more than we see in other regionals.  Everything was well done.  Parking was free unless you wanted to park right near (and I mean directly alongside) the arena.  We were at most a block away from the front door both nights.  I will gladly attend another regional there.  Definitely more room than Fargo.  On Saturday we did a walking tour of Falls Park which was interesting.  Had no idea that was there and there is a long history behind it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 7:14 AM, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

I sometimes wonder whether UND hockey fans are also 'hockey fans.'

I can't speak for the rest of them, but I am definite "Yes" when it comes to NCAA hockey.  (NHL season is too long and doesn't captivate my interest.)  I watch as much of the NCAA tournament as possible, whether UND is playing or not.  Once UND is not in the running, I cheer for schools that have never won the natty, or have not won it in a long time.  I also watch WJC games (generally just the USA ones, but may watch a championship game regardless).

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:11 AM, siouxforcefans said:

Finally, let's never have a UND-less regional in Fargo.  I don't even want to think about it...

The region final didn't have UND last year, and attendance was terrible for that game.  I was a little ashamed.

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:28 AM, KoolGuy2K said:

Think UND and the Denny will bid for future regionals? 

Brad wrote that UND is going to keep bidding on regionals, so I'd say yes.

I kind of want UND to put a bid in for a regional in Omaha. They do have 3 arenas that can host (not counting Baxter Arena), and UND could troll Omaha fans.

A way to expand college hockey is having regionals in places that could grow the game. 

23 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Brad wrote that UND is going to keep bidding on regionals, so I'd say yes.

I kind of want UND to put a bid in for a regional in Omaha. They do have 3 arenas that can host (not counting Baxter Arena), and UND could troll Omaha fans.

A way to expand college hockey is having regionals in places that could grow the game. 

CenturyLInk Center would be great location.  Downtown Omaha can be pretty fun, and some great food too.