SiouxSports.com Forum

Ever since...

01grad

2 hours ago, burd said:

I'm happy if we have guys like Caggiula and Patton over physical/instigators from a while ago, like Prpich.   This is a different game than it was 15 years ago, and the stick work and cross checking (even "finishing" checks) are just as likely to put you a man down as accomplish any kind of intimidation.  And I'm OK with that-- UND can  benefit from it.   We did in '16.  

We all want our team to play a physical game, but playing smart, with the new enforcement trend, is more important, IMO.   Prpich and even Hextall would fare less well in today's game.  They were fun to have, but that kind of play won't win a banner nowadays.  Give me speed, hustle, skill and smarts.  That will intimidate. 

Please, Hextal would be great to have this year. You think the team would have lacked effort with him on the ice? He also could put the puck in the back of the net. 

2 hours ago, burd said:

I'm happy if we have guys like Caggiula and Patton over physical/instigators from a while ago, like Prpich.   This is a different game than it was 15 years ago, and the stick work and cross checking (even "finishing" checks) are just as likely to put you a man down as accomplish any kind of intimidation.  And I'm OK with that-- UND can  benefit from it.   We did in '16.  

We all want our team to play a physical game, but playing smart, with the new enforcement trend, is more important, IMO.   Prpich and even Hextall would fare less well in today's game.  They were fun to have, but that kind of play won't win a banner nowadays.  Give me speed, hustle, skill and smarts.  That will intimidate. 

I'm sorry but I'll take Prpich, Pattyn or Hextall over the likes of Simonson, Janatuinen, Olson, Bowan, Yon any day of the week.

• Upvote 1

Knew I'd catch it for the comments on Hextall and Prpich, and I'm not saying I'd prefer a lot of the guys on this team to them.  Just responding to comments that UND has regrettably lost its physical intimidation factor.   It's just not as simple as wanting the old style back.   I liked those guys too.  

5 minutes ago, burd said:

Knew I'd catch it for the comments on Hextall and Prpich, and I'm not saying I'd prefer a lot of the guys on this team to them.  Just responding to comments that UND has regrettably lost its physical intimidation factor.   It's just not as simple as wanting the old style back.   I liked those guys too.  

Yes, finesse style type of hockey has become the forefront over the last few years but to be a good team you still need to some some physical intimidation to be that much more successful. Not saying every Dman or forth liner needs to be physical but having a few is still great. 

What I've seen is a flip-flop of the size on teams:

By-gone days (Blais era and before) you'd have monsters on the blue line and small, quick forwards. 

Today it seems everyone has small, quick, puck-moving defensemen and monster forwards. 

9 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

What I've seen is a flip-flop of the size on teams:

By-gone days (Blais era and before) you'd have monsters on the blue line and small, quick forwards. 

Today it seems everyone has small, quick, puck-moving defensemen and monster forwards. 

Interesting.  

2 hours ago, John W. said:

I go to "Gopher Hole" every day....I never hear/read them talk about 'hating' UND.....rarely mention them....but then prolly only discuss things of relevance to U M!!!!!!

Don't go to GopherPuckLive then. It only took me one second to see it over there.

The top thread there was started by someone named "F Da Sue".

Not to mention they pinned the upcoming game against UND at the top.

• Upvote 1