SiouxSports.com Forum

Ever since...

01grad

5 minutes ago, luapsided said:

The only thing I’ll say is that the Ralph’s atmosphere is all out of whack.  We have an identity problem,without a doubt, as far as having zero, I mean ZERO, chants from the student section and other than a loud noise meter that pops up 3 seconds before they drop the puck, we have nothing!  Why do they put up a noise meter and two seconds later when the puck drops, it’s back to library voices.  Play it right after the previous whistle!!!!!!!!!!!!  I’m a die hard sioux fan but from this point forward, I’m moving on.  A nickname is definitely not going to win us games or even cost a loss here or there, but the 3 clap, lets go sioux chant is awkward now.  Students that are coming in now, unless they are locals, will likely have zero ‘sioux’ background, so where does it go from here.  All of this is basically speaking for home ice advantage, and really for any games that I have attended the past year or two (every Friday sometimes more), we have had a very poor fan base.  Unless we are scoring goals or the game is tied with 5 minutes or less in the game, the crowd is silent.  Who’s fault is it?  Honestly, you can’t point fingers at just one person or group of people, but having an identity problem isn’t going to help the matter.  The Sioux name isn’t coming back, ever.  Something has to change so I, myself, am willing to make the leap.  Go fighting hawks!  Hope we turn it around a little next year.  At least get to the NCAAtournament again, that’s a good start.

p.s. I’ll change my profile picture soon :D  

All sports are suffering. It is a changing cultural dynamic, and cannot be traced to a singular cause, let alone a single franchise, venue, or event.

Some convenient places to direct your ire:

Phones - Nobody pays attention to anything, anywhere.  Especially 18-22 year olds.

Enhanced viewing options - HDTV was the ultimate game changer, right along with expanded cable offerings, subscription only services, home-to-mobile viewing, unlimited data plans for mobile devices., etc.

Cost - This is a no-brainer. Between ticket, parking, and concessions, attending live sporting events is expensive.

Competitive balance - Parity reigns supreme in many sports right now. Traditional powerhouses are struggling, some for the first time in a generation or more.

The future is not very bright. As college students fade away from interest in their own school's sports, those behaviors are likely to carry into adulthood and will have some effect on attendance at major pro events, many of which are already seeing diminished demand for tickets.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

All sports are suffering. It is a changing cultural dynamic, and cannot be traced to a singular cause, let alone a single franchise, venue, or event.

Phones - Nobody pays attention to anything, anywhere.  Especially 18-22 year olds.

Enhanced viewing options - HDTV was the ultimate game changer, right along with expanded cable offerings, subscription only services, home-to-mobile viewing, unlimited data plans for mobile devices., etc.

Cost - This is a no-brainer. Between ticket, parking, and concessions, attending live sporting events is expensive.

Competitive balance - Parity reigns supreme in many sports right now. Traditional powerhouses are struggling, some for the first time in a generation or more.

The future is not very bright. As college students fade away from interest in their own school's sports, those behaviors are likely to carry into adulthood and will have some effect on attendance at major pro events, many of which are already seeing diminished demand for tickets.

Luapsided and NoiceinsideMhyHead, your both said it very well.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, luapsided said:

The only thing I’ll say is that the Ralph’s atmosphere is all out of whack.  We have an identity problem,without a doubt, as far as having zero, I mean ZERO, chants from the student section and other than a loud noise meter that pops up 3 seconds before they drop the puck, we have nothing!  Why do they put up a noise meter and two seconds later when the puck drops, it’s back to library voices.  Play it right after the previous whistle!!!!!!!!!!!!  I’m a die hard sioux fan but from this point forward, I’m moving on.  A nickname is definitely not going to win us games or even cost a loss here or there, but the 3 clap, lets go sioux chant is awkward now.  Students that are coming in now, unless they are locals, will likely have zero ‘sioux’ background, so where does it go from here.  All of this is basically speaking for home ice advantage, and really for any games that I have attended the past year or two (every Friday sometimes more), we have had a very poor fan base.  Unless we are scoring goals or the game is tied with 5 minutes or less in the game, the crowd is silent.  Who’s fault is it?  Honestly, you can’t point fingers at just one person or group of people, but having an identity problem isn’t going to help the matter.  The Sioux name isn’t coming back, ever.  Something has to change so I, myself, am willing to make the leap.  Go fighting hawks!  Hope we turn it around a little next year.  At least get to the NCAAtournament again, that’s a good start.

p.s. I’ll change my profile picture soon :D  

Every time the pa announcer says fighting hawks, he's interrupted by a couple thousand fans yelling SIOUX. Not good for UND athletics.

13 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Every time the pa announcer says fighting hawks, he's interrupted by a couple thousand fans yelling SIOUX. Not good for UND athletics.

Ya know, I laughed for the first few games after the name change, but then it started to get old and it just adds to the problem/s...this coming from a guy who once thought I’d wear sioux gear till the day I die.  I still will have and sometimes wear it, but will stand with the new name from here on out.  Ugh.  The points given above about changes and atmosphere change do make sense, however, when the arena is full, we need to be all on the same page to make our atmosphere the best atmosphere in college hockey, and we are so far from it.  We just have the nicest arena...

1 minute ago, luapsided said:

Ya know, I laughed for the first few games after the name change.  Then it started to get old.  Now it just adds to the problems...this coming from a guy who once thought I’d wear sioux gear till the day I die.  I still will have and sometimes wear it, but will stand with the new name from here on out.  Ugh.  Haha. The points given about do make sense as far as reasons why atmosphere change, however, when the arena is full, we need to be all on the same page to make our atmosphere the best atmosphere in college hockey.  We are so far from it, we just have the nicest arena...

I was all Sioux in the beginning, personal friend of mine Ben Brien made to logo. I threw the towel in when the Standing Rock pipeline protests started. Have kept my Sioux stuff and will wear it occansionally.

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

The crackdown on student pregaming by the Kelley administration likely didn't help things. 

...and standing...and "creative chants". This destruction of a good time by the student section has been going on for a long time.

First they came for the Students, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Student.

Then they came for the Parking Prices, and I did not speak out—
Because I got a season parking pass.

Then they came for Beer Grandma, and I did not speak out—
Because I don't drink.

Then they came for the atmosphere—and there was no one left to cheer.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cratter said:

...and standing...and "creative chants". This destruction of a good time by the student section has been going on for a long time.

First they came for the Students, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Student.

Then they came for the Parking Prices, and I did not speak out—
Because I got a season parking pass.

Then they came for Beer Grandma, and I did not speak out—
Because I don't drink.

Then they came for the atmosphere—and there was no one left to cheer.

Well shame on us!

On 3/16/2018 at 7:46 PM, 01grad said:

Name change and WCHA breakup nothing feels quite like Nodak hockey anymore. Not making excuses, but not playing for the history and honor of a name as we used to things are out of whack and we are just like any other team out there now.

26m7ga.jpg

• Upvote 3

On 3/16/2018 at 7:46 PM, 01grad said:

Name change and WCHA breakup nothing feels quite like Nodak hockey anymore. Not making excuses, but not playing for the history and honor of a name as we used to things are out of whack and we are just like any other team out there now.

Can't cut a guy/girl down just because of this statement.  They just needed to throw in more details or reasons why to help explain what he/she means exactly.

13 hours ago, luapsided said:

Ya know, I laughed for the first few games after the name change, but then it started to get old and it just adds to the problem/s...this coming from a guy who once thought I’d wear sioux gear till the day I die.  I still will have and sometimes wear it, but will stand with the new name from here on out.  Ugh.  The points given above about changes and atmosphere change do make sense, however, when the arena is full, we need to be all on the same page to make our atmosphere the best atmosphere in college hockey, and we are so far from it.  We just have the nicest arena...

It almost like our fan base is suffering from from a lack of chemistry similar to the hockey team this year...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

MILLENIALS ARE RUINING EVERYTHING!

8 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

The only thing worse than a group of millennial son their phones at a game is a group of boomers on their phones at a game. Slowly typing with their index fingeres. 

You sit close to me?:)

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

Being saddled with $75k - $100k of debt tends to put a damper on things like marriage, home ownership, tickets to sporting events, etc. 

If you are taking out over $75-$100k to attend UND, you should probably take a financial class before going to school.   

10 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

If you are taking out over $75-$100k to attend UND, you should probably take a financial class before going to school.   

It was a general comment, although with flight costs it’s probably in the ball park. UND is still a great value.  

• Upvote 1