SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures 2018

cberkas

31 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I've heard the rumors and the team seemed to play pretty well and cohesively (MM is this a word? :)) despite them. 

:blink:

Yes, that critical 6 game stretch in February against the bottom three teams in the league...in which they won two games...was certainly a cohesive, well-playing team. ;)

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Sounds like Gersich is reporting directly to the Caps rather than the Bears.  Nice negotiating by him and his team.

Although it would be great to keep these guys longer, that is not realistic.  I would think that having the larger numbers of players not only leaving early but playing successfully in the NHL, is a valuable recruiting tool to get targeted players to commit.

33 minutes ago, fsioux said:

Although it would be great to keep these guys longer, that is not realistic.  I would think that having the larger numbers of players not only leaving early but playing successfully in the NHL, is a valuable recruiting tool to get targeted players to commit.

Agree that it should be a big recruiting tool.  Gersich leaving has been speculated on since the beginning of the year.  A bigger question is what is our plan to replace his scoring.  This didn't happen out of the blue.  I'm not sold on counting on player development to take up the slack.  We should have some big scorers in the pipeline every year.

8 minutes ago, Irish said:

Agree that it should be a big recruiting tool.  Gersich leaving has been speculated on since the beginning of the year.  A bigger question is what is our plan to replace his scoring.  This didn't happen out of the blue.  I'm not sold on counting on player development to take up the slack.  We should have some big scorers in the pipeline every year.

• Upvote 1

For those assuming that the sophomore class will just automatically develop by next season.....Shane Gersich never progressed from his soph to junior year.  I wonder if he realizes that the puck bunnies on the AHL circuit are fewer and more worn out than what he had access to at UND.

• Downvote 3

4 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

For those assuming that the sophomore class will just automatically develop by next season.....Shane Gersich never progressed from his soph to junior year.  I wonder if he realizes that the puck bunnies on the AHL circuit are fewer and more worn out than what he had access to at UND.

LOL he stopped playing with two NHL players. Do you even LIKE this team? Try a positive thought every once in awhile.

We've had proven success of developing NHL and pro players over decades. Your example seems to be an outlier and a kind of silly one, I might add.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

LOL he stopped playing with two NHL players. Do you even LIKE this team? Try a positive thought every once in awhile.

We've had proven success of developing NHL and pro players over decades. Your example seems to be an outlier and a kind of silly one, I might add.

If he's truly an NHL player, he should have made those around him better this year.....just like Jost and Boesser did to him.  That didn't happen.

Just now, TheFlop said:

If he's truly an NHL player, he should have made those around him better this year.....just like Jost and Boesser did to him.  That didn't happen.

Ok, so your point was that our sophomore class won't develop because Gersich didn't. I'm sorry, but that has nothing to do with if Gersich is "truly" an NHL player. And btw, sounds like he'll TRULY be an NHL player this weekend. 

Assuming that an entire class won't develop based on the premise that one player didn't have a breakout year is just nonsensical. 

33 minutes ago, Dave Berger said:

I am confident that Mm, Adams, and Guch, will see their stat lines go up appreciably next year.  I also see Bast being a significant contributor to somewhat pickup what we are losing with Wolanin's departure.  I think a possible surprise next year will be JJ.  He was missed some games with injury. 

52 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

He wasn’t being negative, he was being realistic. I hope Gersich makes it too but I just don’t see it happening in the NHL, hopefully I’m wrong. 

51 minutes ago, Irish said:

Which underlines the need to reload every year.

You act like you can just snap your fingers and it's done.  BU has a ton of talent they plugged in, but let's face it, they just got hot at the right time, and UND was hurt by teams that did that.  

3 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

He wasn’t being negative, he was being realistic. I hope Gersich makes it too but I just don’t see it happening in the NHL, hopefully I’m wrong. 

On this instance, sure. But again, the guy had two NHLers around him. Besides, his point was that our Sophs may not progress because Shane didn't either. That's the main point that I think is silly.

4 minutes ago, tnt said:

You act like you can just snap your fingers and it's done.  BU has a ton of talent they plugged in, but let's face it, they just got hot at the right time, and UND was hurt by teams that did that.  

I don't think you can snap your fingers at all - I think it takes a lot of hard work and good player evaluation by the coaching staff who need to sell our program.  We do have some things to help us sell however.  We have the strongest fan base in the country both at home and on the road.  We have the finest arena and live in an area where hockey is king.  We have a proven record of developing NHL players and lots of NHL alumni to sing our praises.  We have a proven record of championships.  We are the team of Parise, Oshie, Toews, Stafford, and Boesser.  We should be in as strong a recruiting position as any team in the country.  Again, I think it takes much hard work, but that is a large part of our coaching staff's jobs.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

This board is CONSTANTLY overlooking the stud defensemen in our pipeline. With Tychonick coming in next year alone, we'll have a top 5 class. Adding in the BCHL MVP doesn't hurt, either. 

This whole saga has come about from one poor (obviously by our standards and nearly our standards alone) season. Just 1. If this continues next year, then start to think trend. 

If this team would have snuck into the tourney like the 2014 team and won 2 games to get to the Frozen Four like that team, we’re not even talking about what a “poor” year it was. 

Agree on the d-men recruits also. They rarely get talked about. Tychonick is just the beginning. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

If this team would have snuck into the tourney like the 2014 team and won 2 games to get to the Frozen Four like that team, we’re not even talking about what a “poor” year it was. 

Agree on the d-men recruits also. They rarely get talked about. Tychonick is just the beginning. 

The 2015-16 NCAA title team also had a group of stud defensemen. So we shouldn't overlook it at all.