SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures 2018

cberkas

Yes, BIZ, you recognized sounding like a captain:
Rhett Gardner on returning for his senior season: "This year left a sour taste. I want to get everything back to where it was when I came here as a freshman." 

No "hopefully".
No "we'd like".
A simple "I want." 

See problem.
Define problem.
Define solution.
Work to it. 

9 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Yes, BIZ, you recognized sounding like a captain:
Rhett Gardner on returning for his senior season: "This year left a sour taste. I want to get everything back to where it was when I came here as a freshman." 

No "hopefully".
No "we'd like".
A simple "I want." 

See problem.
Define problem.
Define solution.
Work to it. 

I think Poolman's play speaks louder and better than his comment about "hopefully".  I believe Gardner and Poolman will make excellent team leaders regardless of who wears the A or the C. The best  leaders keep most of what they say behind closed doors addressed to their team/family.  We may want to be part of the inside circle and we get bits and pieces but the fact of the matter is we don't really know based on what we hear from friends or what we read or hear from the media. I might be wrong but I think these guys will wear the C/A and both are excellent choices.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

I think Poolman's play speaks louder and better than his comment about "hopefully".  I believe Gardner and Poolman will make excellent team leaders regardless of who wears the A or the C. The best  leaders keep most of what they say behind closed doors addressed to their team/family.  We may want to be part of the inside circle and we get bits and pieces but the fact of the matter is we don't really know based on what we hear from friends or what we read or hear from the media. I might be wrong but I think these guys will wear the C/A and both are excellent choices.

Agree.

28 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

I agree, actions speak louder than words.  How many times have you heard blowhards spout off empty guarantees that don't even come close coming to fruition.  When we start parsing people's words to detect any little detail to catch them on, I think we are overthinking things.  

13 hours ago, Ray77 said:

I'd have to refresh my memory, but I think it was to Parise's benefit to get to the NHL before the lockout, knowing that a lockout was coming. I think this way he could sign a larger rookie deal as the rules on that were about to change. Something along those lines...

I actually think if there wasn't a lockout coming that year, he may have stayed.

Yes this is correct. He was able to sign before the lockout(not a strike) and have his first year of contract counted. According to those in the know, he regretted his decision after the fact even though financially it was the best move for him.

16 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

Who is likely to leave for teams still playing from the NCHC?  Perunovich, Tufte, R Poeling, Schuldt, Achan, Borgen, Gambrell, Terry, Borgstrom, Hillman, Hammond?

I would guess Schuldt, Borgen, Gambrell, Terry, Borgstrom.

Never know with Poehling being drafted by the Canadiens. 

27 minutes ago, ChadR said:

I would guess Schuldt, Borgen, Gambrell, Terry, Borgstrom.

Never know with Poehling being drafted by the Canadiens. 

Would think if Poehling 's brothers weren't at St. Cloud he would be gone, but you never know if he will stay to play with them another year.  A lot could depend on how they do in the National tournament.   If they don't win it, St. Cloud's flight risks might form a pact to stay.  

1 hour ago, UND1981 said:

Who is likely to leave for teams still playing from the NCHC?  Perunovich, Tufte, R Poeling, Schuldt, Achan, Borgen, Gambrell, Terry, Borgstrom, Hillman, Hammond?

I'm disappointed.  I was looking for the "Bruce Almighty" answer.  Yes to all!!

1 hour ago, tnt said:

Would think if Poehling 's brothers weren't at St. Cloud he would be gone, but you never know if he will stay to play with them another year.  A lot could depend on how they do in the National tournament.   If they don't win it, St. Cloud's flight risks might form a pact to stay.  

Agreed - he's also a 'true' freshman this year even though he is a sophomore. He accelerated his SR year of HS.

Reading how many early departures UND has had over the past 3 years and how that compares to other teams was pretty shocking. You can't put enough emphasis on keeping that number down.

I'll be closely watching SCSU and UMD, only because I believe it's a lock that Denver loses Borgstrom, Gambrell and Terry.

Would be nice for teams outside of the NCHC to really get hit this year. Minnesota is one I'll watch closely too, they only lost 1 last season in which they were a #1 seed.

4 minutes ago, AJS said:

Reading how many early departures UND has had over the past 3 years and how that compares to other teams was pretty shocking. You can't put enough emphasis on keeping that number down.

I'll be closely watching SCSU and UMD, only because I believe it's a lock that Denver loses Borgstrom, Gambrell and Terry.

Would be nice for teams outside of the NCHC to really get hit this year. Minnesota is one I'll watch closely too, they only lost 1 last season in which they were a #1 seed.

Lingren is already gone.  Would there be other threats outside of Mittelstadt and Novak?

14 minutes ago, tnt said:

Lingren is already gone.  Would there be other threats outside of Mittelstadt and Novak?

Sheehy was an All-American after his Sophomore year, but his production fell off last year. It doesn't feel like they'll lose anyone else, besides Lindgren. For the Top programs, you'll see some get hit harder than others each year, it's all a cycle, this current one though is getting pretty frustrating. I know it's not the case, but it seems like UND (& BC / BU) are the only teams consistently getting hit year after year with early departures.

5 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

If Mittelstadt was more than a wisp of a human being he'd be gone already. You have to wonder how tDon's departure is affecting his thoughts. 

I'd be shocked if he played at Minnesota next year.

32 minutes ago, runaroundsioux said:

Just to get this straight. After complaining all season about UND not having enough high end draft picks, we are now complaining about early departures? Can't have one without the other.

First, that's absolutely not true. My frustration is lately (see past 3 years), is the wide discrepancy between players leaving early between UND and its peers. Frustration is probably the wrong word, it's more jealousy, other teams for whatever reason haven't had to experience it to even close to the same level as UND on as consistent of a basis. I'm not saying UND should change their recruiting at all, it'd just be nice to have one year (see Duluth 2 years ago, SCSU, Denver, Minnesota last year), where everything breaks your way in the early departure front.

23 minutes ago, AJS said:

First, that's absolutely not true. My frustration is lately (see past 3 years), is the wide discrepancy between players leaving early between UND and its peers. Frustration is probably the wrong word, it's more jealousy, other teams for whatever reason haven't had to experience it to even close to the same level as UND on as consistent of a basis. I'm not saying UND should change their recruiting at all, it'd just be nice to have one year (see Duluth 2 years ago, SCSU, Denver, Minnesota last year), where everything breaks your way in the early departure front.

And losing low round draft picks and undrafted players early seems to be hitting UND harder than other teams lately.  Problems of success to some extent, but hopefully it rights itself soon (since success has been more muted the last 2 years).  

Wolanin (JR - 4th), Gersich (JR - 5th), T Poolman (JR - 5th), Stecher (JR - UFA), Thompson (JR - 3rd), Ladue (JR - 6th), L Johnson (JR - 5th) - Many of these are guys who were likely expected to be here 4 years when they were brought in.

• Upvote 1