SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures 2018

cberkas

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Rocco never seemed to live up to his potential in college. In the NHL, he has been up and down. Overall, I think he is making the most of what he has to work with.

Agreed, on the NHL part.  Being that small in the NHL is almost impossible.  Everyone has the skill you do and are at least 5-6 inches taller.

1 hour ago, crb1 said:

Well I guess we kind of figured Wolanin would go. I have a feeling Gersich will sign as well. 

Could very well, but Tim Hennessey said this morning people he talked to says both he and Gardner are leaning towards staying.  He did say that he has heard that in the past and it has gone the other way, so take it with a grain of salt. 

11 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Rocco never seemed to live up to his potential in college. In the NHL, he has been up and down. Overall, I think he is making the most of what he has to work with.

I’m just mostly disappointed we never got to see him play with Nick Schmaltz lol 

• Upvote 2

Every persons situation is different.  I just think players need to be cautious and not over anxious to grab the bonus when they may be better off in the long run to be patient.  If you are a first or second round pick, it is unrealistic to expect that person to stay 4 years.  Borgstrum to me looks ready.  Not so sure on Tufte.  Many who thought they were ready found out too late that they weren't quite there yet.  Maybe they are content with playing 4-5 years in the AHL.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

How many games does he have to play in the NHL to get the $800k salary? Otherwise he is stuck with a 70k salary in the AHL

a 92500 bonus is good for a college kid but isn't much if you end up never getting a degree and a real job after hockey 

He basically got $185k when he signed and then his salary is pro-rated depending on where he plays his game and his per diem depends on which roster he is active on. He will make a little over 10k per NHL game played plus about $105/day when traveling with the NHL club.

12 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Ok, so your dream is to play in the NHL and you've had a great career that included winning a national championship. Then, after your best personal year, your draft team offers you a contract, a huge load of cash in a signing bonus and to immediately start in the NHL, which would achieve a lifelong dream. If you stay your senior year to try and test free agency, you could blow out your knee and never make the NHL. Could you honestly pass this up?

No, cant blame the guy one bit.

13 minutes ago, fsioux said:

Every persons situation is different.  I just think players need to be cautious and not over anxious to grab the bonus when they may be better off in the long run to be patient.  If you are a first or second round pick, it is unrealistic to expect that person to stay 4 years.  Borgstrum to me looks ready.  Not so sure on Tufte.  Many who thought they were ready found out too late that they weren't quite there yet.  Maybe they are content with playing 4-5 years in the AHL.

If you're not referring to Wolanin, this is fine, but he's starting in the NHL.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Wolanin is 23.

A year older than Gersich.

Not surprised to hear he signed first.

And much better at this point in their careers. Plus he’s getting NHL games this year.  Gersich will have to play a while in the A.  

Some of the names mentioned signed knowing that they probably weren’t NHL players.  They get a nice bonus and start their pro career earning pretty decent money for their age.  They can only play for so many years.

There is definitely a lot more to the discussion than is the player current ready for the NHL.

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

Some of the names mentioned signed knowing that they probably weren’t NHL players.  They get a nice bonus and start their pro career earning pretty decent money for their age.  They can only play for so many years.

There is definitely a lot more to the discussion than is the player current ready for the NHL.

They also do not have monthly student loan payments. Must be nice lol.

28 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

This ^^. 

One thing that seems to get overlooked a lot, is what the NHL team's pipeline looks like.  Wolanin is going straight to the NHL and will get part of that entry level contract over right away, because he is going to a team that's not making the playoffs and it's easy to insert him.  For Shane to go to DC, he'd be headed to a playoff contender who already has established players in his spot.  They are much less likely to put him in day 1 and mess with the chemistry, unless they see him as an obvious upgrade over the player already in the lineup.  Signing now potentially just gets him to the AHL.

Just look at what has happened to Zane in Boston.  Rask is the #1 and Khudobin is #2.  Meanwhile, Zane toils in the A,  and has to watch Subban do fairly well in Vegas after getting out of the Bruins' chain, and a guy  like Charlie Lindgren is getting a bunch of starts for the Habs.  

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

If Rocco had some teammates that were remotely on his level it would have been a very different story. Instead he was a one-man show much like Wolanin this year.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

If Rocco had some teammates that were remotely on his level it would have been a very different story. Instead he was a one-man show much like Wolanin this year.

How many times did guys have passes from Rocco pass right through them they were not ready for?

27 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

The best one-man show I ever saw was Greg Johnson circa 1991-1992.

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

BMOC is real. And arguably the 'talent pool' is better on a college campus, unless you're looking for middle-aged puck chasers, in which case...

We are both envious since the chicks didn't dig us so much when we were on campus.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UND1981 said:

How do you put a price on the college experience as a hockey player at UND?  You're pretty much a GF celebrity and get to hang out at the Ralph, etc.

I'd guess a new signee at a hockey city like Ottawa gets just a wee bit of attention, too. Not to mention, you are getting paid to play hockey. Is this really an argument? Lol

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UND1981 said:

How do you put a price on the college experience as a hockey player at UND?  You're pretty much a GF celebrity and get to hang out at the Ralph, etc.

... and listen to fans rag on you because the puck slipped over your stick and you couldn't get it out of the zone.  Seriously, while the Hollywood celebrities have to deal with the Paparazzi, they get huge amounts of money, while these guys have to deal with scrutiny and reap an education.  Sure an education is worth a lot, but they also could be making a nice living in the AHL and not have to deal with fans that think that whiffing on a puck is a capital offense. 

• Upvote 1