SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures 2018

cberkas

15 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'd be surprised if there's anyone that replaces Joey Anderson's level of play this next season.

I was talking about DU.  But flipping to UMD, they do have the Cates brothers coming in next year.  Both top ten in ushl points I believe. That’s pretty heavy.

1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Denver is bleeding, that will help; still need some earlies from most of the rest.

Heard on the NHL network last night that they wouldn't be surprised if the New York Rangers made a run at a college coach like Jim Montgomery or David Quinn. 

14 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I was talking about DU.  But flipping to UMD, they do have the Cates brothers coming in next year.  Both top ten in ushl points I believe. That’s pretty heavy.

My bad, misread. However, DU has WAY more to replace than any other team in the country. 

18 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

My bad, misread. However, DU has WAY more to replace than any other team in the country. 

Yup. They lost most of their offense and their goalie. Emphasis on goalie. 

If their new guys aren’t up to speed quickly, they might be in trouble early in the season until they adjust. 

19 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

True, but Duluth had a lot to replace from last year's team as well.  With how close college hockey is, if you bring in top talent and they play the brand of hockey they need to succeed, you can still compete.  

4 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Yup. They lost most of their offense and their goalie. Emphasis on goalie. 

If their new guys aren’t up to speed quickly, they might be in trouble early in the season until they adjust. 

Denver is bringing in a very good goalie.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Denver is bringing in a very good goalie.

They have Slava demin coming in as well as some others.  They had some good young guys this year as well however they weren’t given top minutes (for obvious reasons).

1 hour ago, tnt said:

True, but Duluth had a lot to replace from last year's team as well.  With how close college hockey is, if you bring in top talent and they play the brand of hockey they need to succeed, you can still compete.  

Hopefully Duluth's incoming class doesn't develop until they are Juniors....or not develop at all.

1 minute ago, TheFlop said:

Hopefully Duluth's incoming class doesn't develop until they are Juniors....or not develop at all.

I'm assuming this is a swipe and UND, but I'm gonna skim over it and agree. YEAH! I definitely hope DU's players don't develop!

8 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

Yeah but he’s an unknown at this level. You can’t replace experience. 

True, you aren't sure what you have coming in, but Duluth has replaced their goalies the last few years when I thought they would be hurting. To be honest, I'm still not sure how Thome will play if he is the man.

4 minutes ago, tnt said:

True, you aren't sure what you have coming in, but Duluth has replaced their goalies the last few years when I thought they would be hurting. To be honest, I'm still not sure Thome will play if he is the man.

Yup. That’s why it’s an unknown with new guys, so I’m hesitant to assume *insert team here* will be okay based purely on their incoming recruits who haven’t yet shown anything at the college level. We’ve thought recruits would dominate here before too and have been wrong. Lesson learned for me. 

On Thome, he’s got the leg up because he has the experience, but that doesn’t mean he’ll keep it. 

1 hour ago, siouxforce19 said:

Yup. That’s why it’s an unknown with new guys, so I’m hesitant to assume *insert team here* will be okay based purely on their incoming recruits who haven’t yet shown anything at the college level. We’ve thought recruits would dominate here before too and have been wrong. Lesson learned for me. 

On Thome, he’s got the leg up because he has the experience, but that doesn’t mean he’ll keep it. 

I like Thome, he had curb appeal potential coming into GF. Still feel he will put it together, hopefully won't hurt us?

• Upvote 1