SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures 2018

cberkas

24 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Again, I saw him two weekends ago.  He’s a big kid.  Supposedly he had something wrong with him during the combine last year.  I know the responses this comment will get on here but whatever.  The kid I saw two weekends ago could definitely do a pull up...as well as play in the nhl right now.

I can't imagine any 18 yr old athlete unable to do multiple pull ups, is there any possible scenario where he would have tanked that portion?

3 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

I can't imagine any 18 yr old athlete unable to do multiple pull ups, is there any possible scenario where he would have tanked that portion?

Mittelstadt basically just shrugged it off saying that his hockey skill was most important, which it is.   He hardly seemed embarrassed, nor did he mention an injury or anything that deterred him from that part of the combine. 

3 minutes ago, tnt said:

Mittelstadt basically just shrugged it off saying that his hockey skill was most important, which it is.   He hardly seemed embarrassed, nor did he mention an injury or anything that deterred him from that part of the combine. 

I don't think the fact is incorrect, but him stating anything but "strength is a big part of playing in the NHL and I need to get stronger" shows a bit of an entitlement for this kid. The way I look at it, he basically said, it's cool... I'm so talented that all I need to do is show up. That won't take him anywhere in the show, IMO.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I don't think the fact is incorrect, but him stating anything but "strength is a big part of playing in the NHL and I need to get stronger" shows a bit of an entitlement for this kid. The way I look at it, he basically said, it's cool... I'm so talented that all I need to do is show up. That won't take him anywhere in the show, IMO.

Classic gopher player.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

From what I gather there were those that didn't appreciate the response either.   To be sure it wasn't a diplomatic response, but then again I don't know how diplomatic I was when I was that age if someone was calling attention to my inadequacies. 

26 minutes ago, tnt said:

To me that comes across as a young kid who is very talented, but has not put in the time in the weight room. I remember a bunch of talented kid when I wrestled in HS, who could have been great, but didn't care enough to put in the extra work. Just how it comes across, imo.

1 hour ago, MinnSioux said:

Mittelstadt signs. Yippee!

When it comes to early signings, the Mittelstadt / Jost one and done is the most painful situation for their respective fan bases. What I mean by that is they are elite hockey players obviously, but not at the same level as lets say Eichel. Mittelstadt / Jost finished with modest point totals and were very good players, but you know that they would have completely dominated had they come back for another year.

35 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

And they missed the NCAAs.

This was the mentality of the Goofs when they came onto the ice at The Ralph for the Holy Cross regional game. I'll never forget when one of the guys with us said look how cocky these Gopher players are, they never really warmed up, and we made comments to the same; but never taught much about it at the moment.  Till, the capacity crowd gave a visiting HC team the cheers they never experienced before.

24 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

That was pretty much my interpretation. It will catch up with him if that is the case, but I'm sure he will figure that out, especially with an NHL team. They'll push their investment to improve where they see fit.

7 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

That was pretty much my interpretation. It will catch up with him if that is the case, but I'm sure he will figure that out, especially with an NHL team. They'll push their investment to improve where they see fit.

We're lucky we won't see him again, he would of been dangerous to opposition this next season. He has potential to be good in the NHL, glad he's gone.

Minnesota's Mittelstadt reaches 3-year contract with Sabres

4 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Mittelstadt

This is the actual scenario I've been hoping for as the season began. Plays one season before getting really really good and then being drafted. Out of here.

BONUS ---  Never made the NCAAs.

Yep, Minnesota isn't just losing a 30 point guy this year, he would have been an All-American next year if he would have stayed.

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Again, I saw him two weekends ago.  He’s a big kid.  Supposedly he had something wrong with him during the combine last year.  I know the responses this comment will get on here but whatever.  The kid I saw two weekends ago could definitely do a pull up...as well as play in the nhl right now.

He doesn't have to do pull ups, he needs to skate and score.  He has shown he can do that.  He will need to get stronger but I doubt anyone cares that much about his pull ups.  I believe that most coaches at the HS and Pro levels  are more concerned about his core strength, reflexes, quickness, speed and toughness. HS hockey players at a lot of schools don't do a good job of getting in the weight room.  I think that is one of the reasons Hakstol wanted  kids to stay out for football instead of play hockey year round.  Most HS HS FB teams get their kids in the weight room.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

He doesn't have to do pull ups, he needs to skate and score.  He has shown he can do that.  He will need to get stronger but I doubt anyone cares that much about his pull ups.  I believe that most coaches at the HS and Pro levels  are more concerned about his core strength, reflexes, quickness, speed and toughness. HS hockey players at a lot of schools don't do a good job of getting in the weight room.  I think that is one of the reasons Hakstol wanted  kids to stay out for football instead of play hockey year round.  Most HS HS FB teams get their kids in the weight room.

Pull ups are all about core strength, so if he has already improved that, he most likely won't have to answer questions about pull ups anymore. 

• Upvote 1

It's always nice to see the gophers experience adversity, especially the kind that often hurts us so much.   But it is sure a treat to be able to watch players like Mittlestadt, Heatley, etc. play before they become pros. 

And I'm sure most hockey fans from other schools would say the same about our players likeToews, Parise,  Boeser, etc.  

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

Again, had he said "I just need to get stronger" instead of what he did, the reaction would have been less harsh, methinks.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, AJS said:

Yep, Minnesota isn't just losing a 30 point guy this year, he would have been an All-American next year if he would have stayed.

Poor Pull-up Mittelstadt, couldn't get his chin above the bar at the combine, and finished by not being able to get his a$$ out of a pothole on Selection Sunday.

I just looked at the PairWise and after this last weekends games, MN is now ranked 10th.  Remember the 0.0001 RPI. There's only one day a year the PairWise counts and that's the day MN was vulnerable, last team the bubble burst on. That was on NCAA's MH Selection Sunday. That morning Mittelstadt's college hockey career came short on reaching the bar and long on missing the holes in the road.