SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures 2018

cberkas

7 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Question-had UND snuck into the tournament, who do you think would’ve been the #1 seed in the Sioux Falls regional? My guess is SCSU would’ve been shipped east. Perhaps Cornell would’ve been in Sioux Falls?

Ohio State would’ve been in Sioux Falls. They’d keep Cornell east. 

8 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Question-had UND snuck into the tournament, who do you think would’ve been the #1 seed in the Sioux Falls regional? My guess is SCSU would’ve been shipped east. Perhaps Cornell would’ve been in Sioux Falls?

Notre Dame or Ohio State.

Notre Dame was #2 overall.

18 minutes ago, GDPritch said:

Well, of course not...but they didn't.  And had they snuck into the tourney it's not a given by any means they would have won two straight, which rarely happened following Christmas (heck, I don't think we beat any avg/mediocre teams two straight).

Based on what I saw this weekend, they could very easily have won 2 games.

My point was we could have very well have been having this conversation 4 years ago about the 2014 team, but things went their way and they started the string of 3 straight Frozen Four’s that ended with the Natty. 

On 3/23/2018 at 2:50 PM, Irish said:

I don't think you can snap your fingers at all - I think it takes a lot of hard work and good player evaluation by the coaching staff who need to sell our program.  We do have some things to help us sell however.  We have the strongest fan base in the country both at home and on the road.  We have the finest arena and live in an area where hockey is king.  We have a proven record of developing NHL players and lots of NHL alumni to sing our praises.  We have a proven record of championships.  We are the team of Parise, Oshie, Toews, Stafford, and Boesser.  We should be in as strong a recruiting position as any team in the country.  Again, I think it takes much hard work, but that is a large part of our coaching staff's jobs.

It’s all about recruiting. Really, it is. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, 90siouxfan said:

We don't seem to get many recruit from Thunder Bay any more?

I don’t think we get many recruits from Ontario in general also. We’ve gotten Caggiula from there and Peski, but aside from that, it’s tailed off in Ontario. 

Harder with the OHL so prevalent there, and the junior A leagues aren’t as good as like the BCHL and AJHL. 

4 minutes ago, crb1 said:

Schloss is reporting expected signings out of DU

Borgstrom

Terry

Gambrell

Hillman

Those four plus Hammond, Junda, Plant and Jaillet... that's some big losses. I wouldn't be overly surprised to see Lukosevichius go, either. BIG drop off from Lukosevicius (21 g, 34 pts) to the next scoring leader after top 3. Staub is next with 22 pts. 

4 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Those four plus Hammond, Junda, Plant and Jaillet... that's some big losses. I wouldn't be overly surprised to see Lukosevichius go, either. BIG drop off from Lukosevicius (21 g, 34 pts) to the next scoring leader after top 3. Staub is next with 22 pts. 

Junda’s leaving too?

10 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I don’t think we get many recruits from Ontario in general also. We’ve gotten Caggiula from there and Peski, but aside from that, it’s tailed off in Ontario. 

Harder with the OHL so prevalent there, and the junior A leagues aren’t as good as like the BCHL and AJHL. 

That is one of my biggest recruiting questions. Many of the Hockey East schools and ECHA schools recruit western Canada hard, and also get some Minnesotans. Why doesn't UND recruit Ontario much or even out East? Is it because of the competition for recruits, economics, or just the fact that the Junior A leagues are not as strong?

Can anyone give a comparable to this Denver team losing this much talent in one season? I'm not sure I've ever seen that many high end players go in one year (draft or graduation). I'm sure they will still find a way to be competitive next year, Montgomery (as much as I dislike the guy) has done some pretty impressive things with that program.

5 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Can anyone give a comparable to this Denver team losing this much talent in one season? I'm not sure I've ever seen that many high end players go in one year (draft or graduation). I'm sure they will still find a way to be competitive next year, Montgomery (as much as I dislike the guy) has done some pretty impressive things with that program.

Unless Monty leaves too...

14 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Us after the 2016 season.

DU fans should consider themselves lucky with the talent that returned for this season. That’s probably why they’ll be hit the hardest now given many of these guys could’ve left early last year but chose to come back. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

As much as I like to rag on the kid, once he matures physically, he will be a really solid player.

Again, I saw him two weekends ago.  He’s a big kid.  Supposedly he had something wrong with him during the combine last year.  I know the responses this comment will get on here but whatever.  The kid I saw two weekends ago could definitely do a pull up...as well as play in the nhl right now.

31 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

As much as I like to rag on the kid, once he matures physically, he will be a really solid player.

Definitely going to be a good player. With that said, I am very, very, VERY happy that his legacy in college hockey is this:

Image result for casey mittelstadt

:lol:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Godsmack said:

DU fans should consider themselves lucky with the talent that returned for this season. That’s probably why they’ll be hit the hardest now given many of these guys could’ve left early last year but chose to come back. 

Yeah, so they lose 4 early and we lost 8 early over the last two years, plus another two this year.