SiouxSports.com Forum

2018-19 Season

bounce

17 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

I wonder what he's going to get a Master's degree in....

It is an interesting dynamic that on the UND hockey team, anytime a solid/star player leaves early to better himself he is still revered.......while on the UND basketball team the player that leaves early to attempt the same thing is ridiculed.  

15 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

It is an interesting dynamic that on the UND hockey team, anytime a solid/star player leaves early to better himself he is still revered.......while on the UND basketball team the player that leaves early to attempt the same thing is ridiculed.  

apples-and-oranges.jpg?w=300&h=199

• Upvote 3

Just kind of curious how far up the all time leader scoring list Crandall could have gone if he stayed.   True, he may open up some doors elsewhere, but years from now he would have a legacy and a place in the history of UND basketball to come back to year after year.  It may not mean much to him now, but the older you get, that might be something to look back on.  

33 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Did I miss something here.  Is he leaving to join the NBA?    Huge difference.  Don't think a lot of hockey fans would have the same feeling about Christian Wolanin if he left for another school for his Senior season rather than the NHL. 

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, tnt said:

Did I miss something here.  Is he leaving to join the NBA?    Huge difference.  Don't think a lot of hockey fans would have the same feeling about Christian Wolanin if he left for another school for his Senior season rather than the NHL. 

UND hockey has had plenty of players leave early too that shouldn't have.  People disagree with the decision (totally fair) without taking cheap shots at the person's intelligence.  The kid wants a chance to prove himself on a legitimate team like Xavier, Gonzaga, even U of M.  The downside is the same as if he stayed at UND....he goes over to Europe to play when he is done.  If he surprises and shows he belongs with a power school, the upside is much higher.

• Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, tnt said:

I think he was talking about guys that left UND for Major Juniors, while whining about "lack of playing time". Derrick Byfuglien and Adam Tambellini immediately come to mind.

9 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

UND hockey has had plenty of players leave early too that shouldn't have.  People disagree with the decision (totally fair) without taking cheap shots at the person's intelligence.  The kid wants a chance to prove himself on a legitimate team like Xavier, Gonzaga, even U of M.  The downside is the same as if he stayed at UND....he goes over to Europe to play when he is done.  If he surprises and shows he belongs with a power school, the upside is much higher.

Did Brad Berry/Hak have to hold their hand for 3-4 years?  UND will be just fine without him in the program.

4 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I think he was talking about guys that left UND for Major Juniors, while whining about "lack of playing time". Derrick Byfuglien and Adam Tambellini immediately come to mind.

If that is the case then it isn't much of an argument he is making because people have been just as brutal about Tambellini as they have with Crandall. 

1 hour ago, TheFlop said:

Apples - Oranges --- If Geno left to sign a pro contract everyone would be happy and it would be a boost to UND recruiting.  If a star hockey player wanted to transfer to Minnesota (like Geno) then you would get this reaction.  

23 minutes ago, tnt said:

If that is the case then it isn't much of an argument he is making because people have been just as brutal about Tambellini as they have with Crandall. 

Ahh no, Tambellini was a quitter who left mid season and not the type I'm talking about.  Referring more to the Hextall and Gregoire types who by most people's opinions left early when the NHL wasn't a likely scenario for them.  

5 minutes ago, Irish said:

Apples - Oranges --- If Geno left to sign a pro contract everyone would be happy and it would be a boost to UND recruiting.  If a star hockey player wanted to transfer to Minnesota (like Geno) then you would get this reaction.  

Agreed but your scenario is apples to oranges not mine.  No one considers Minnesota an upgrade over UND in hockey.  If someone chooses to play college hockey then UND is by all accounts as good as an option as any.  If one chooses to play college basketball there are many programs considered an upgrade over UND.

1 hour ago, TheFlop said:

Your screen name is appropriate for this post. Well done.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Ahh no, Tambellini was a quitter who left mid season and not the type I'm talking about.  Referring more to the Hextall and Gregoire types who by most people's opinions left early when the NHL wasn't a likely scenario for then.  

With those guys people said they left too early and lamented how much better we would have been if they had stayed.

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

With those guys people said they left too early and lamented how much better we would have been if they had stayed.

Just like Geno....ooops wait a second, Geno gets ripped on for needing extra tutors while at UND when he leaves.  Besides not being academically motivated (which is something that happens with D1 athletes) did Geno get in any specific trouble while at UND?  Any police involvements?  Did his teammates hate him?  I guess I don't recall him getting in trouble.

2 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Just like Geno....ooops wait a second, Geno gets ripped on for needing extra tutors while at UND when he leaves.  Besides not being academically motivated (which is something that happens with D1 athletes) did Geno get in any specific trouble while at UND?  Any police involvements?  Did his teammates hate him?  I guess I don't recall him getting in trouble.

Does a dui count? 

3 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4285552-unds-geno-crandall-arrested-suspicion-dui

2 hours ago, TheFlop said:

With Geno gone the handful of people that follow this team might as well close this thread and fire up the 2019-2020 thread.

Sounds like you are a little too much of a Crandall fan to remain objective.  If only a handful of people follow, then why do you think he is being picked on?

6 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Picking a losing battle, my friend.  Move on.

12 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Fair enough.  I don't recall fans of UND boycotting games last year when UND kept him around for his junior season though.  

Why would anyone do that?  Not seeing your point...  People want him to stay so that they can watch him.  He apparently had his hand held by the staff, and now that he's in a position to leave, he turns his back on them.  That seems to be the issue.