SiouxSports.com Forum

2018-19 Season

bounce

17 minutes ago, AJS said:

Now with Tray Buchanan transferring, could someone who follows the team closely give a quick summary of all the off season moves. Not so much the moves themselves, but is there more talent coming in than is leaving?

The losses (transfer-wise) were minimal:  Tray was the best of the bunch but he was inconsistent and lost time towards the end, Jafar didn't get much time as well.  They were always going to have a hard time getting quality minutes due to the glut at the guard position, only to get worse with the addition of Moody and McCauley.  Don't know how Panoam will be able to crack the rotation, other than being a Tray replacement, this year.  Saddler might be a different story due to his size, out of those two I expect him to get way more of the minutes. 

Franken was also buried at the back of the bench, despite UNDs issues at the post position.  Jal and Marko, I expect, will be playing day 1 and I expect Jal to be starting with Marko getting minutes behind Avants/Jal.  Schmidt probably redshirts, but wouldn't be surprised if he didn't.  

I do think the team got better because most of the transfer losses were already in a position of strength for this year. The replacements were targeted in areas where the team was the weakest. How much better will depend on the bigs.  Outside of Avants, none of them are proven communities.   Walter has shown flashes but has not been consistent enough to be a proven community.  McCauley is a huge unknown after not playing the whole season basically.  Jal, Marko, and Lucas are unknowns until they step on the court.  Looking at tape is nice but until they actually see game action, there will be several questions.  

I wish this was a year they did a foreign trip, much like the 15-16 year, they would benefit from it tremendously. 

trey was easily the best offensive guard option off the bench....too erratic as a frosh so jones benched him for predictable and solid defensively   and probably the most unproductive player stat wise in ncaa basketbal  for a 20 minute plus a game guy... billy brown 22 minutes a game and under 4pts, under 2 rebounds and less than one assist.....Team will be better but the Summit is better than the BSC.... Would like to see them pick up a D1 caliber guard if they still have a scholly left....If they have a serviceable guard coming off the bench then they can compete for second place in Summit....as I believe JAL will be top frosh and perhaps top newcomer in Summit.

5 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Well that's disappointing. 

I see it the same as Freije leaving.  UND was 12-20 with him as their best player.  That says a lot to me.  

UND will be no worse as a team.  Their record might not be better, however, because they are playing in a tougher conference now.  

Minnesota doesn't have any scholarships available and there really isn't any Gopher that I can look at currently on scholarship and say they would be likely to transfer. Looking at his Twitter he is most recent follows are members of the Xavier coaching staff.

16 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Minnesota doesn't have any scholarships available and there really isn't any Gopher that I can look at currently on scholarship and say they would be likely to transfer. Looking at his Twitter he is most recent follows are members of the Xavier coaching staff.

Ben Johnson connection if that is the case. 

Maybe the transfer out is contingent on a favorable NCAA ruling regarding immediate transfer eligibility...last I heard geno needed fall semester to graduate and henceforth the gophers ...looked elsewhere...kinda dumb to transfer to Xavier they are seriously rebuilding and are a deep long shot to dance next season...if he was good to go I would expect a formal announcement by tomorrow and he would be wise to weigh all options if  priorities include playing for a NCAA tourney caliber team

20 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

Also gopher assistant is a recent follower...geno might be graduating in fall and then play winter semester

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 3:59 PM, UND Fan said:

Not too surprisingly to me, Geno is transferring!  Not sure where yet....

Guys - I may have "jumped the gun" on this.  If so, my apologies!  I got my info from what should be a very reliable source.  I understood that it would be announced that day or the next.  I shouldn't have posted anything until it was announced.  Bottom line - I hope it was bad info and that he stays.  

Article in the Herald.  It's official.

Sad part is Geno had poor grades out of high school and UND worked with him to get into school and had to stay on him while there.  That staff put in a lot of work to help Geno. Then he leaves early.   Jones quote says alot, IMO:

“I would have enjoyed seeing Geno finish out his eligibility as a Fighting Hawk and continue to grow with him as a young man, player and teammate, but players choosing to pursue graduate transfer options is the reality of today’s college basketball,” UND coach Brian Jones said. “The only thing we can control is investing in our athletes while they are within our program and I know we’ve done that on many levels with Geno. We wish him nothing but the best in this new journey.”

1 minute ago, UND Fan said:

Guys - I may have "jumped the gun" on this.  If so, my apologies!  I got my info from what should be a very reliable source.  I understood that it would be announced that day or the next.  I shouldn't have posted anything until it was announced.  Bottom line - I hope it was bad info and that he stays.  

Heck - two minutes after I posted this, it was on the Herald website!!