Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bounce

2018-19 Season

Recommended Posts

I see Davidson left now for South Dakota.  At the very least, Jones must be doing something right with his coaching hires cause the Yotes really like them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could Geno be the next one to leave after the summer?? Hearing he is taking a unusual amount of summer classes that will allow him to graduate (transfer ?)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ND1 said:

Could Geno be the next one to leave after the summer?? Hearing he is taking a unusual amount of summer classes that will allow him to graduate (transfer ?)

 

Ugh 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ND1 said:

Could Geno be the next one to leave after the summer?? Hearing he is taking a unusual amount of summer classes that will allow him to graduate (transfer ?)

 

I mean that’s who I would have always assumed. Without him, we are doomed in the Summit next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ND1 said:

Could Geno be the next one to leave after the summer?? Hearing he is taking a unusual amount of summer classes that will allow him to graduate (transfer ?)

 

Is Geno going to transfer from a team where he is arguably the best player to ride the pine on and Mountain West or MAC school??  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Is Geno going to transfer from a team where he is arguably the best player to ride the pine on and Mountain West or MAC school??  

I really don’t think he’d ride the pine at a MAC school. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This Davidson to USD, does rub me the wrong way in a couple of ways now.  1.  I don't like to see our staff pilfered by what will be starting this year as a conference rival.  2. I'm concerned that what I was told by someone close to the program, that USD, offered a significant pay hike that we couldn't come close to.  If that's the case, we might be in trouble for the foreseeable future if we hope to retain assistants.  Basketball at USD is there baby, and I could understand why an assistant would be tempted to go there...but it is also Vermillion, and that would maybe be a tough choice, between here and there.  But if he's getting a big pay bump and we can't compete, I can't fault anyone including Coach Davidson for looking out for themselves and their family, but I also don't like it as we are A. going to have to compete against him  to get to where UND wants to go in the Summit (he knows our philosophies and how we typically adjust), and B it indicates that as far as budgets for a sport like basketball in The Summit-- we are chasing, and that is never a great place to be going into a new conference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I was told Davidson was only a shooting coach.  No recruiting or scouting.  WTF?

They will be just fine without him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Und assistants get paid peanuts...guys with families need to make more coin....Transfers season is winding down...spots are filling up .if geno was good to go he would have signed with the gophers and probably started for them next yesr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

From what I was told Davidson was only a shooting coach.  No recruiting or scouting.  WTF?

They will be just fine without him.

I believe Davidson, was a full assistant with full responsibilities.  He was a national team shooting coach, I think. In fact during the National Tournament season, Ralston  mentioned on a broadcast that Coach Davidson was unbeaten in all his scouts that season.  I'm guessing each assistant gets certain teams to scout and prepare the game plan for each of their games during the season during.  In fact in every pre-game show he visits with the assistant who has built the game plan and done all the video work for that night's opponent, and gives info during the interview of what they've seen from the opponent.  This would make me think he does the standard assistant's role.  But I may be wrong, as I don't know all the behind the scenes duties of assistants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The salaries for each of 3 men's basketball assistants at USD last year were approximately $70,000 each and the assistant coaches at SDSU were at approximately $85,000 each.  I believe Davidson's salary at UND was in the range of $40,000 to $45,000.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, the green team said:

I believe Davidson, was a full assistant with full responsibilities.  He was a national team shooting coach, I think. In fact during the National Tournament season, Ralston  mentioned on a broadcast that Coach Davidson was unbeaten in all his scouts that season.  I'm guessing each assistant gets certain teams to scout and prepare the game plan for each of their games during the season during.  In fact in every pre-game show he visits with the assistant who has built the game plan and done all the video work for that night's opponent, and gives info during the interview of what they've seen from the opponent.  This would make me think he does the standard assistant's role.  But I may be wrong, as I don't know all the behind the scenes duties of assistants.

UND will be just fine without him.  Horner on the other hand.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, goyotes said:

The salaries for each of 3 men's basketball assistants at USD last year were approximately $70,000 each and the assistant coaches at SDSU were at approximately $85,000 each.  I believe Davidson's salary at UND was in the range of $40,000 to $45,000.

I believe it but yikes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, goyotes said:

The salaries for each of 3 men's basketball assistants at USD last year were approximately $70,000 each and the assistant coaches at SDSU were at approximately $85,000 each.  I believe Davidson's salary at UND was in the range of $40,000 to $45,000.

Where did you see/hear that? 

EDIT 

Found this: 

During Jones' previous contract, his assistant salary pool was $136,269. In his new deal, that total has climbed to $160,000. That's a raise of $23,731.

UND's current staff includes assistants Jeff Horner (three seasons at UND), Brad Davidson (one season at UND) and Steve Grabowski (five seasons at UND). The Director of Basketball Operations is Craig Heatherly (two seasons at UND).

https://www.inforum.com/sports/4292562-unds-new-basketball-contract-begins-address-assistant-coach-pay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

Und assistants get paid peanuts...guys with families need to make more coin....Transfers season is winding down...spots are filling up .if geno was good to go he would have signed with the gophers and probably started for them next yesr

Can’t transfer without first graduating.  Maybe he is a typical 20 yr kid that simply loves to attend summer school ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ND1 said:

Can’t transfer without first graduating.  Maybe he is a typical 20 yr kid that simply loves to attend summer school ....

You can transfer prior to graduating...not eligible to play prior to graduating...could transfer now and eligibility would be contingent on graduating

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Come June, it may not matter anymore as the NCAA will be voting on changing the transfer rules.  If approved by the NCAA, players will be able to tranfer anytime, anywhere, any division.  If this passes, your higher end mid major players will be gone after a year or two... welcome to the JV league 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hoops44 said:

You can transfer prior to graduating...not eligible to play prior to graduating...could transfer now and eligibility would be contingent on graduating

He already used his redshirt  year, if he transfers without graduating...he doesn’t have any eligibility left 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×