SiouxSports.com Forum

2018-19 Season

bounce

9 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Midco probably needed programming on Wed nite.  UND wouldn’t have those games either Friday or Saturday because of hockey.  

Summit has had Wednesday games for a long time. UND had plenty of games on Saturdays when there was hockey while they were in the Big Sky (like every weekend.....).

Mirror scheduling worked pretty well in the Big Sky for UND mainly because the team that was on the road started 1-2 hours after the game in Grand Forks so you were able to catch at least part of it. It would hurt overall streaming numbers but it isn't like any of the Summit schools have a huge traveling fan base for regular season basketball. Need to get a 10th team and get the scheduling mess figured out.

On 7/24/2018 at 8:56 AM, the green team said:

This irritates me.   What was he doing while he was here? Obviously shopping himself to others, because he must not have had time to get us in the Aussie pool.  I think the new head coach at USD has had previous connection with Australia players before too, but that the entire fact that USD gets an Aussie player as soon as our former assistant arrives in Vermillion, stinks in my opinion. 

The Aussie pool at USD is through Todd Lee, their new head coach. He built the connections while at Grand Canyon.

I'll give my way-too-early thoughts for the team, provide there isn't another surprise roster addition/subtraction upcoming.

-UND only returns 5 players that have significant playing experience from the previous season.  The good news is that 3 of these players are in the starting lineup in Avants, Seales, and Stewart. The other two: Brown and Walter, are expected to take on greater roles from the bench. 

-My feelings are that this team is going to go as far as how this junior class will preform.  There is no doubt in my mind that the 2 senior captains, Avants and Seales, will make another step in their progressions in their final years and a few of these newcomers will play very well in their first year.  The three Juniors in Stewart, Brown and Walter need to take significant jumps if this team want to do something this year.  Marlon needs to take a jump similar to what Hooker did between his sophomore and junior year.  He has had a year of playing time to knock off any rust he might have had.  Billy needs to do better than 32% from 3 and Walter needs to have more games like he did against Weber, SUU last year.  Given he is the only forward that has experience outside of Avants.  

-Losing Geno hurts, there is a lot to replace with him.  Don't have any questions on the leadership of this year, they have it with Avants and Seales, but who will replace the production?  This is where Marlon needs to step in, maybe Seales and Avants pick up the slack here as well.  

-So who starts in the other two spots?  I think you start Jal, he is the big recruit coming in and he should get the majority of the starting minutes.   The other positions is up in the air.  If Jones wants to go with his usual 3 guard lineup, he probably plugs in Panoam.  However, there are a few other options to go with and I say Saddler should start to give UND something they haven't had in the starting lineup in a while, a true 3.

-I give Jones a lot of credit in adding more size with the 8 newcomers.  There are a lot more players that are in the 6'6 to 6'10 range on the team than last year.  The question is now, what is the quality of this quantity?  How many of these players can come in and make an impact from day 1.  Interested to see the play of the 3 international recruit and how they fit into the equation. Hoping that Saddler and Panoam are the exception and not the trend of Jones' JUCO recruiting results (i.e: they play and make an impact). 

-UND lost their 2 best 3 point shooters from last year.  Can't shoot 34% from the 3 like they did last year, that needs to improve.  Hopefully this is where Moody can make his mark on the team, alongside Brown, Walter, Marlon and any newcomer.  I would also like to see if Seales can shoot 2-3 3's a game, but given he has only attempted 67 3's in his first 3 years, I don't know if that will change.

-Summit is a tougher league, but outside of SDSU, there really isn't an established 2nd team (you could make a case for USD, but I think with Moody gone they take a step back towards the pack).  WIU will be sneaky good, Denver will be up there near the top of the standings).  Right now in my head I have UND 6th.

I really don't have a feel for this team with so many question marks that this team has.  They could surprise and end up a top 3 team in the Summit, or they could massive struggle and end up near the basement. I'm optimistic and I think they will a few more games than they did last year, around 13-15 wins.  I expect a bigger move next year, provide the team stays together and nobody flies the coop. 

Summit Predictions

1) SDSU *They run the table in conference play

2) USD

3) Denver

4) WIU 

5) NDSU

6) UND

7) ORU

8) IPFW 

9) Omaha

14 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Summit has had Wednesday games for a long time. UND had plenty of games on Saturdays when there was hockey while they were in the Big Sky (like every weekend.....).

Mirror scheduling worked pretty well in the Big Sky for UND mainly because the team that was on the road started 1-2 hours after the game in Grand Forks so you were able to catch at least part of it. It would hurt overall streaming numbers but it isn't like any of the Summit schools have a huge traveling fan base for regular season basketball. Need to get a 10th team and get the scheduling mess figured out.

The mirror scheduling in the Big Sky was ideal.  Fans always knew there was going to be a basketball game in the Sioux Center every single Thursday or Saturday all winter long.  The Big Sky seemed very accomodating to UND's hockey schedule.  We were normally the only team to have afternoon conference games on Saturdays if i recall correctly................  

This Summit schedule screams small time to me.  It reminds me of the NAIA scheduling that the North Dakota schools do like Jamestown U, and Mayville St.

Basketball comes before hockey for me, but as someone who travels with a family 100 miles or so for games, its going to be tough to make Wednesday nights work.

But........we all know we made the move so we can play NDSU more often, because that is what the fanbase yearns for.  I expect there won't be a ticket available for that all important NDSU game in February on a Wednesday night.......................So I guess I'll just stay home and figure out how to watch it the InterWebs................

And the Mens/Womens double headers?  What a joke.  Lets just join the DAC-10 if that's still an option.  Nobody wants to be at a college basketball event for 5 hours.  The iPhones in the student section will be out of batterty power long before the second game starts their warm ups.......................

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Every one is talking about getting back to old rivalries here from the past but I am wondering if this isn't us old fans that remember when basketball was number 1 sport at UND. I look at my kids and kids in school they have grown up watching UND play Big Sky schools and even before that played in the Great West conference  the rivalries of the past is not part of their history. If you would ask them they identify more with Weber State and the two Montana schools as rivals. I could see the rivalry perc up with NDSU but not if  both are in bottom half of the conference as predicted I just don't see fans getting excited about either team. Maybe when UND starts playing in Missouri Conference in football we will see some improvement for all the sports but that is couple years away. The next big question how long is division 1 going to be structured like it is now with the changing of rules on transfers and big division 1 recruiting kids from smaller mid-major programs and division 1 schools start paying athletes spending money for school. That was good about the Big Sky there was parity and often even bottom team could upset one leaders in the conference. From what I have been reading here SDSU looks to dominate and USD is there closest contender not good formula to create interest in conference schedule and then add in that conference Tournament is played basically in front SDSU home crowd and also very supportive of USD not setup easily to build up rivalries when you have two strongest teams and both being favorites to win conference tournament. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ND-fan said:

Every one is talking about getting back to old rivalries here from the past but I am wondering if this isn't us old fans that remember when basketball was number 1 sport at UND. I look at my kids and kids in school they have grown up watching UND play Big Sky schools and even before that played in the Great West conference  the rivalries of the past is not part of their history. If you would ask them they identify more with Weber State and the two Montana schools as rivals. I could see the rivalry perc up with NDSU but not if  both are in bottom half of the conference as predicted I just don't see fans getting excited about either team. Maybe when UND starts playing in Missouri Conference in football we will see some improvement for all the sports but that is couple years away. The next big question how long is division 1 going to be structured like it is now with the changing of rules on transfers and big division 1 recruiting kids from smaller mid-major programs and division 1 schools start paying athletes spending money for school. That was good about the Big Sky there was parity and often even bottom team could upset one leaders in the conference. From what I have been reading here SDSU looks to dominate and USD is there closest contender not good formula to create interest in conference schedule and then add in that conference Tournament is played basically in front SDSU home crowd and also very supportive of USD not setup easily to build up rivalries when you have two strongest teams and both being favorites to win conference tournament. 

SDSU would likely win the Big Sky as well.  They are just a solid team right now with one of the top low/mid major players in the country.  

8 hours ago, ND-fan said:

We were in the Big Sky for 6 seasons, we were in the Great West for 4 seasons, how much history do you think we have with the likes of Utah Valley, Montana, Montana St and Weber State when compared to South Dakota, South Dakota St, Omaha, NDSU, Denver (if you think hockey), we were in the NCC with most of these guys for 80 years, that’s history. You talk about parity in the Big Sky? The title was favored by either Montana or Weber St, just like the SL is favored by SDSU almost every year. The NCC had parity, the Great West had parity. What does the MVFC have to do with improvement in the SL for UND? The MVFC is MVC members and our Dakota SL members plus Western Illinois thrown in there.

People call this move the NCC 2.0 but what’s wrong with that. They (Dakota 3 and UNO) have proved themselves they can win big games, make it to the NCAA tournament and even win in post season tournaments. It’s not like we are moving down to DII again.  

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

We were in the Big Sky for 6 seasons, we were in the Great West for 4 seasons, how much history do you think we have with the likes of Utah Valley, Montana, Montana St and Weber State when compared to South Dakota, South Dakota St, Omaha, NDSU, Denver (if you think hockey), we were in the NCC with most of these guys for 80 years, that’s history. You talk about parity in the Big Sky? The title was favored by either Montana or Weber St, just like the SL is favored by SDSU almost every year. The NCC had parity, the Great West had parity. What does the MVFC have to do with improvement in the SL for UND? The MVFC is MVC members and our Dakota SL members plus Western Illinois thrown in there.

People call this move the NCC 2.0 but what’s wrong with that. They (Dakota 3 and UNO) have proved themselves they can win big games, make it to the NCAA tournament and even win in post season tournaments. It’s not like we are moving down to DII again.  

The excuse for declining attendance in the Big Sky for all sports was lack of familiarity with the opponents.  Hard for fans to get excited about teams like Sacramento St, Norhtern Arizona, Portlant St., etc.  I guess I can't speak for everyone, but having the likes of NDSU, SDSU, USD, UNO back on the schedule for all sports is refreshing.  Playing in the NCC was great!! I guess people have forgotten.  It is going to be more of the same but on a bigger scale now that we are all D1.  NCC 2.O......Call it whatever you want.  But I am excited to be playing those guys again when in matters...in conference play.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

The excuse for declining attendance in the Big Sky for all sports was lack of familiarity with the opponents.  Hard for fans to get excited about teams like Sacramento St, Norhtern Arizona, Portlant St., etc.  I guess I can't speak for everyone, but having the likes of NDSU, SDSU, USD, UNO back on the schedule for all sports is refreshing.  Playing in the NCC was great!! I guess people have forgotten.  It is going to be more of the same but on a bigger scale now that we are all D1.  NCC 2.O......Call it whatever you want.  But I am excited to be playing those guys again when in matters...in conference play.

I am excited to be challenging these guys for a title too. It was great back in the NCC days and battling the Bison for state bragging rights when we not only beat them but won the conference. And who could forget the epic games against USD in the GWC (and GWFC) days, those games usually came down to the wire. Yes we will play teams like Oral Roberts, and IPFW but so what we had those type of teams in the Big Sky. Montana and Weber were fun but the excitement won’t measure up with our old rivals. Let the SL season begin!!

1 hour ago, Kab said:

I doubt attendance will increase when games are played about any day of the week.

at least in the big sky games were Thursday and Saturday 

Is the weird days because we have odd number of teams? Or are they always scheduled like this.

12 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Is the weird days because we have odd number of teams? Or are they always scheduled like this.

Odd teams really messes up the schedule because there will be weeks where you only play one game.  With no "travel partner" I assume they have to have games Wednesday/Saturday as opposed to Thursday Saturday for travel.  Hopefully a 10th team can be added to end this scheduling debacle.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Odd teams really messes up the schedule because there will be weeks where you only play one game.  With no "travel partner" I assume they have to have games Wednesday/Saturday as opposed to Thursday Saturday for travel.  Hopefully a 10th team can be added to end this scheduling debacle.

I was curious, so I looked at the last time the Summit had 10 teams.... the 2011-12 season.  Most weeks the games were on Thurs & Sat.  Last year we had 8 teams, but the schedule was still set up for 9.  IUPUI pulled the last-minute move to the Horizon League in the middle of the summer, so teams had to "backfill" schedules with whoever they could find (local D-2 and D-3 teams, mostly)  not good for RPI.  At least IUPUI had to pay a $1 mil penalty.

I have always heard that 10 is ideal for a basketball league, and that seems to make sense.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, ND1 said:

Yup , I think it’s a done deal 

You and Kolpack.  

But Augie would have to start men’s soccer to keep the Summit sports sponsored, figure out what to do with football, the Summit would have to be vulnerable for five plus years as PUFW and ORU could decide to leave, and Augie must almost double their budget.

And all the time SDSU and USD will probably get poorer because they’d lose corporate sponsors.

8 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

You and Kolpack.  

But Augie would have to start men’s soccer to keep the Summit sports sponsored, figure out what to do with football, the Summit would have to be vulnerable for five plus years as PUFW and ORU could decide to leave, and Augie must almost double their budget.

And all the time SDSU and USD will probably get poorer because they’d lose corporate sponsors.

From what I’ve heard down here in SF is that they’d drop football and add hockey. 

12 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

From what I’ve heard down here in SF is that they’d drop football and add hockey. 

The hockey part makes sense as they could get in the WCHA, but the big Auggie boosters are not hockey fans.  Don’t think they’ll get accepted into the Summit though.

11 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

You and Kolpack.  

Meh, better than a random message board poster (barely).

You're assuming Douple is planning ahead, I disagree. The NCAA would also very likely issue extension/waivers as they have in the past as long as they Summit shows they have a plan to get back into compliance.

And the issue there is....