SiouxSports.com Forum

2018-19 Season

bounce

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

I agree, but he literally managed to hop on a plane and sign one for USD immediately after being hired though. Very strange. Will be interesting to see if it is a one-off or they grab a few more.

This irritates me.   What was he doing while he was here? Obviously shopping himself to others, because he must not have had time to get us in the Aussie pool.  I think the new head coach at USD has had previous connection with Australia players before too, but that the entire fact that USD gets an Aussie player as soon as our former assistant arrives in Vermillion, stinks in my opinion. 

6 minutes ago, the green team said:

This irritates me.   What was he doing while he was here? Obviously shopping himself to others, because he must not have had time to get us in the Aussie pool.  I think the new head coach at USD has had previous connection with Australia players before too, but that the entire fact that USD gets an Aussie player as soon as our former assistant arrives in Vermillion, stinks in my opinion. 

That's kind of why I'm on that wait-and-see if it is just a one off or the start of a trend. Possibly just a coincidence.

On 7/24/2018 at 9:56 AM, the green team said:

Were there scholarships available for him to offer? He was only here one recruiting period.

What is the reason players choose other programs over UND? Facilities, program, HC??

3 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Hark!  The Summit League Schedule is here!

12/28 Fort Wayne - Friday
1/3 @ ORU - Thursday
1/5 @ Denver - Saturday
1/10 Omaha - Thursday
1/12 WIU - Saturday
1/16 SDSU - Wednesday
1/19 @ NDSU - Saturday
1/23 USD - Wednesday
1/31 @ WIU - Thursday
2/3 @ Omaha - Sunday
2/6 NDSU - Wednesday
2/9 @ SDSU - Saturday
2/16 ORU - Saturday
2/23 Denver - Saturday
2/28 @ Fort Wayne - Thursday
3/2 @ USD - Saturday

http://www.thesummitleague.org/sports/mbkb/2018-19/schedule?teamId=yqmcb6ovwrh2w6l2

What an absolutely cluster of days and consistency. Hosting USD, SDSU and NDSU all on Wednesday nights is straight garbage and we play at all of those places on Saturdays. The Summit scheduling is brutal.

Home games by day:
Wednesday - 3 (NDSU, USD, SDSU)
Friday - 1 (Ft. Wayne)
Thursday - 1 (Omaha)
Saturday - 3 (WIU, ORU, Denver)

10 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

M&W doubleheaders @Denver, @Omaha, @SDSU, vs ORU, vs Denver, @IPFW, and @USD.  There is also a home hockey game vs UMD on 2/23, so that'll be a full day.

NCC 2.0

I guess that is one way to save on costs. How much is that by choice or by the fact there is 9 teams in the Summit I wonder?

3 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Has there been any word or rumors on non-conference schedule. I remember reading something about a summit WAC Challenge, but do we know of any specific non conference games?

We have the two games from the Summit-Big Sky in Idaho and MSU, dates TBD.  I haven't seen anything else right now. 

4 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

M&W doubleheaders @Denver, @Omaha, @SDSU, vs ORU, vs Denver, @IPFW, and @USD.  There is also a home hockey game vs UMD on 2/23, so that'll be a full day.

NCC 2.0

Definitely.  You guys are getting in the league at a good time, when they are finally figuring out how to schedule properly.  It has been much much worse in the past.  Like rivalry games over the holiday break, having your men's and women's teams playing simultaneously in different cities, only a handful of double-headers, etc.  It looks like the entire schedule this year is either double-headers, or Men/Women play on consecutive days in the same place.  Big travel cost saving, and better for traveling fans, too.

I agree that you guys got screwed a little having your Dakota rivalry games all on weeknights.  From what I have read, NDSU SDSU and USD fans are mostly happy with their schedules.  I'm guessing it will get better for you going forward, as your admin gives the league office feedback on what games are important to you.  They are a little slow on the uptake, but believe me when I say it has been far worse in the past.

1 hour ago, kiyoat said:

Definitely.  You guys are getting in the league at a good time, when they are finally figuring out how to schedule properly.  It has been much much worse in the past.  Like rivalry games over the holiday break, having your men's and women's teams playing simultaneously in different cities, only a handful of double-headers, etc.  It looks like the entire schedule this year is either double-headers, or Men/Women play on consecutive days in the same place.  Big travel cost saving, and better for traveling fans, too.

I agree that you guys got screwed a little having your Dakota rivalry games all on weeknights.  From what I have read, NDSU SDSU and USD fans are mostly happy with their schedules.  I'm guessing it will get better for you going forward, as your admin gives the league office feedback on what games are important to you.  They are a little slow on the uptake, but believe me when I say it has been far worse in the past.

I love the double headers.  It is such a smart move for all the schools and I think you are going to see an increase in attendance for both Men and Women games.  But, all the Dakota games on a Wednesday in GF is just wrong.

• Upvote 1

On 3/11/2018 at 1:14 PM, sioux24/7 said:

Would have been nice to have McDermott. Just looked at UNI stats and he only played in 8 games making 5 total 3-pointers. Not sure if he was injured but you have to wonder if he is regretting leaving.

On to D3 Coe College. 

I’m going to fall into the minority and say I absolutely loathe doubleheaders.  My family and I just don’t have the interest to hangout at the venue for 5 plus hours.  I actually liked the mirrored scheduling of the Big Sky.  We did go to more Men’s  games than Women’s, however we always knew that one or the other was going to be home one week to the next and with a single game we would get out at a decent hour.

On a purely superficial note, doubleheaders to me, shout D2.  Wasn’t that what we were trying to leave behind.  And on an observational note, considering how in recent times our athletic department has to be mindful of every penny, a single gate (doubleheader) cannot be all that enticing as compared to having seperate gates?   Not really surprised how The Summit probably wanted to make a statement and put all our potential big ticket games on Wednesdays.  I expect we will see some  similarly interesting things happen when we join The Valley for Football.

I’m excited to get to a few road games now that we have rejoined our former NCC brethren, and rekindling some rivarly spark.  The schedule however leaves a lot to be desired.  And doubleheaders, I was hoping for the most part, they would remain in an era gone by.  I’m still hoping for that to be the case.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, kiyoat said:

USD has five homes games to close out the conference season.  Why would a conference allow that?

Edit:  USD has four big games to end the season with a trip to Brookings mixed in.

I don’t understand that logic of (better overall crowds).  When there’s been doubleheaders in the past there have been plenty of people thta leave after the women’s game and some that arrive for the Men’s.  I can’t blame them.  Our family could very well be making that choice.  And for those that buy single game tickets and would have gone to both anyway. Now they just have to buy one to get both.

15 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

USD has five homes games to close out the conference season.  Why would a conference allow that?

We play our final two games at home.  We play in Brookings before that.  Only 3 of the final 5 games are in Vermillion.

Besides, everyone plays everyone home and away.  Seems pretty fair to me.  You could make an argument that starting the season with more home games is an advantage of some kind.  It's subjective IMHO.

playing important games on a day that it is harder to get a good crowd (Wed) is a definite disadvantage, though.  That sucks.

22 minutes ago, the green team said:

I don’t understand that logic of (better overall crowds).  When there’s been doubleheaders in the past there have been plenty of people thta leave after the women’s game and some that arrive for the Men’s.  I can’t blame them.  Our family could very well be making that choice.  And for those that buy single game tickets and would have gone to both anyway. Now they just have to buy one to get both.

Some fans have to travel far.  For them, it saves time and money.

23 minutes ago, the green team said:

I would say that it is a bigger advantage for those that travel to the game.  Many Sioux Falls alumni of both USD and SDSU have to pick and choose which games they attend.  They are much more likely to attend a double header vs travel to both games separately.  Maybe you see a similar thing with alumni in Fargo?