SiouxSports.com Forum

2018-19 Season

bounce

17 hours ago, dakotadan said:

Better be careful about recruiting foreign players. Might get the program cut. 

I'm picking up on your snarkasm...the good news is, there are typically more than 20 fans at a men's basketball game.  

28 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I'm picking up on your snarkasm...the good news is, there are typically more than 20 fans at a men's basketball game.  

The number 20 has pulled their sponsorship from Sesame Street and UND Athletics in protest of the program being cut.  

https://fightinghawks.com/news/2018/7/19/mens-basketball-fighting-hawks-go-overseas-to-sign-talented-duo.aspx#.W1CcJ203Uo0.twitter

So we can add a 6'1 guard from Latvia to the squad as well.

This also caught my eye:  

Atelbauers and Rebraca join a list of five other newcomers that have joined the Fighting Hawks' program during the offseason and will be eligible to compete in 2018-19.

By my count, they have 6 newcomers, plus these two.  What gives here? Misprint or is someone not coming?

36 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

https://fightinghawks.com/news/2018/7/19/mens-basketball-fighting-hawks-go-overseas-to-sign-talented-duo.aspx#.W1CcJ203Uo0.twitter

So we can add a 6'1 guard from Latvia to the squad as well.

This also caught my eye:  

Atelbauers and Rebraca join a list of five other newcomers that have joined the Fighting Hawks' program during the offseason and will be eligible to compete in 2018-19.

By my count, they have 6 newcomers, plus these two.  What gives here? Misprint or is someone not coming?

They list 6 on the roster so I wonder if it’s a misprint. 

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

Chaves seems like he has been working his magic.  Maybe it’s Jones himself, but he always seemed to be so Iowa focused.  Iowa has been the go to place for players.

With the background him and Horner had, Iowa was the logical place. They had a good tie to MSP with Coach G, but haven't filled that void yet and really need to. 

I highly doubt Chaves is getting his hands dirty in recruiting, especially considering they have been on a large number of these guys for months or longer.

2 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

With the background him and Horner had, Iowa was the logical place. They had a good tie to MSP with Coach G, but haven't filled that void yet and really need to. 

I highly doubt Chaves is getting his hands dirty in recruiting, especially considering they have been on a large number of these guys for months or longer.

Chaves without question has his hands in hiring assistant coaches.  They can bring along recruits.

7 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Chaves without question has his hands in hiring assistant coaches.  They can bring along recruits.

Head coaches get a lot of latitude when hiring assistants. The AD signs off on it and might ask a few questions and offer some guidance but the majority of it falls on the head coach.

1 hour ago, hawkgirl said:

Know if other Summit League teams are recruiting internationally?

I did a little research on this a couple of months ago.  If I remember correctly, all but one Big Sky team had at least one foreign player.  Many had 3-4.  There were many fewer international players in the Summit.  

On 7/20/2018 at 10:20 AM, hawkgirl said:

Know if other Summit League teams are recruiting internationally?

There have been some. DU comes to mind. USD has had a number of really strong women from Australia and their new Men's coach is has a lot of connections to Australia and is bringing in some very good players from that country. 

9 minutes ago, jacksfan29 said:

There have been some. DU comes to mind. USD has had a number of really strong women from Australia and their new Men's coach is has a lot of connections to Australia and is bringing in some very good players from that country. 

He didn't bring any Aussies to UND...

13 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

He didn't bring any Aussies to UND...

I agree, but he literally managed to hop on a plane and sign one for USD immediately after being hired though. Very strange. Will be interesting to see if it is a one-off or they grab a few more.