SiouxSports.com Forum

2018-19 Season

bounce

33 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

Mens basketball has been competitive for small division one program that is less than 10 years old and has to compete with Hockey for attendance and resources. They won  Big Sky conference two years ago and have been competitive in conference tournament the 5 years in the Big Sky. Before that they did win the Great West conference where they won conference title. Und Basketball will struggle as long as Und hockey is the number one sport and now that UND football is also being pushed the resources left for Mens basketball will be limited. Look at this past year how long it took to even sign Jones to new contract he was one lowest paid coaches in division 1 and worst yet was his assistants were way under paid. Hard to put together a good program if you can't attract good people and keep them long term. The new rule changes in division 1 and changing of philosophy by large schools its going to be hard for smaller division 1 schools like UND to compete. They develop young kid into top flight player and big schools come in offer him chance to play in big dance how are you going to keep them with a chance to make impression to play at the next level. If you want my opinion if they have lower class for football they should have the same for basketball because same differences are occurring for basketball big schools have all the advantages especially with how kids are transferring for last one and two years of eligibility. But back to Und basketball this is sport every 2 to 3 years they will make run at conference championship and then if they are lucky they will get NCAA bid for the tournament but like most small division 1 schools it will be one and done and if you are very lucky you win one but done in next round. The top 8 teams out every region are only realistic teams that have chance to advance to final four and if you look at it only top 5 teams out every region has chance to reach the finals. So you can say there are only about 20 to 25 teams that have chance to play into final four. For the small division 1 program your playing for conference championship which is truly your championship tournament. Other things are just recognition for winning your conference and provide programing for tv to make their tournament seem like bigger deal than it is which is trying to find who at end year is best of top 20 to 25 teams.

So apparently your point is that we should be satisfied to make a run for a conference title every few years?  

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

I have no idea when you were in school but in the 36 years prior to Jones, UND had a winning % of .641 (very good).  Gunther was 332-177 (.652) and Glas was 335-194 (.633).  In the 8 years prior Gunther and Glas, Fitch and Rodgers has a winning % of .643.  Jones' record is 178-199.  He would have to win 145 games in a row to equal Glas' winning %. 

For the many on here who say we now accept mediocrity, I fully agree!! 

I grew up with Gunther and Glas and I remember the constant trips to the playoffs including trips to Springfield, then Jones took over and we are where we are.

2 hours ago, darell1976 said:

I grew up with Gunther and Glas and I remember the constant trips to the playoffs including trips to Springfield, then Jones took over and we are where we are.

I will say, is it Jones or is it Divison 1 (as far as why UND basketball has dropped so much in winning)? Probably a combination of both.

UND football also hasn't been close to matching its division II winning percentage  (0.625 in DII) since going division I (55-56; 0.495 in DI). 

Division I is just a different animal that requires more emphasis and support than what UND football and basketball is currently getting. During DII, UND was at the top of the funding scale; in DI, they've struggled to just be average.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UND Fan said:

I have no idea when you were in school but in the 36 years prior to Jones, UND had a winning % of .641 (very good).  Gunther was 332-177 (.652) and Glas was 335-194 (.633).  In the 8 years prior Gunther and Glas, Fitch and Rodgers has a winning % of .643.  Jones' record is 178-199.  He would have to win 145 games in a row to equal Glas' winning %. 

For the many on here who say we now accept mediocrity, I fully agree!! 

Fitch and Rogers had much higher competition: 2/3rds of the then NCC is DI now and much of the OOC games are too.  Southern Illinois, Ark St, and Louisiana Tech were the teams that stopped their NCAA runs.  Gunthers teams were stopped by Tenn-Chattanooga and Old Dominion.  Both those coaches also had to handle always tough Northern Iowa during the conference.  Gunther failed to keep up with the times so after an amazing string of success followed by some mediocre years he was let go.  DII was like an NAIA league in the later days of Glas, who had much lower competition, like SCSU and Duluth as well as Augie and Morningside.  Only the other Dakotas and Omaha were much for competition for Glas and the rest are still DII.

But I fault Jones for not rallying the alumni more to basketball.  He is just a poor PR ambassador for it.  At least Glas brought that, but without the now Creighton and UNI coaches as assistants, doubt his winning % and recruiting would have been as good.  When they left, Glas seemed to get worse.

Geno working out daily with the Gophers.....will be taking other visits......Colorado State and Zaga….top competition for his signing with Gophers...….I'll bet the farm he'll become a Gopher....(or Goofer….as some with a Fighting Sousie bent' like to say)

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 7:06 AM, John W. said:

Geno working out daily with the Gophers.....will be taking other visits......Colorado State and Zaga….top competition for his signing with Gophers...….I'll bet the farm he'll become a Gopher....(or Goofer….as some with a Fighting Sousie bent' like to say)

I think that would be a very safe bet. Otherwise, why would they jettison a 7 footer that was on scholarship.

On 6/16/2018 at 7:06 AM, John W. said:

Not doubting what you are saying.  Hard to believe he can get 19 credits completed this summer from a distance but I haven't been in school for a long time.

Just now, petey23 said:

You are too dumb for words sometimes.

Your little girl story was dumb. Don’t worry I am sure you will have another poll about 4 people wearing Sioux gear that hate the Hawk logo that no one is wearing. Carry on.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

DfwfQBXUYAASmi_.jpg

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

if anyone saw the pic of the team playing wiffle ball the other day...i'm assuming to jailel is the guy on the far left..i know he leaning his head down but he doesn't look much taller than 6'5" or so????

Pretty sure everyone else grew.

On 6/17/2018 at 9:43 PM, SiouxVolley said:

It has been discussed - He is Logan's all time leading Scorer, and player of the year in the Mississippi Valley Conf in Basketball and Track.  OUTSTANDING point guard who had spurned several mid major offers to play football. His hudl is worth a google 

https://lacrossetribune.com/sports/local/preps/high-school-basketball-cj-siegel-s-hot-start-has-la/article_dda4b9ed-b238-5ea5-8fd5-ef07cdc17f5a.html