Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bounce

2018-19 Season

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, BigGame said:

I was not thinking expectations shouldn't be high but some people want to fire coaches almost immediately after they have any struggles.  We live in a society where people see one team have success right out of the gate with a new coach but that isn't normal or usually sustainable.  NDSU didn't become great in a year or two but they had the right coach and had tremendous recruiting class and took off.   It is the same people spewing constant negativity on the board and it gets old.  I am pretty sure everyone knows where they stand because it is posted repeatedly.  If you have to keep replacing coaches all the time it is a sign you have problems, sometimes patience is needed.  Now this isn't directly related to Jones as I don't follow basketball enough to have a reasonable opinion about him.  But the Fire Hak crowd several years back and people calling for Bubba's head after a bad and injury plagued season is foolish.

Did the basketball team win a conference title recently? 

Well said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigGame said:

I was not thinking expectations shouldn't be high but some people want to fire coaches almost immediately after they have any struggles.  We live in a society where people see one team have success right out of the gate with a new coach but that isn't normal or usually sustainable.  NDSU didn't become great in a year or two but they had the right coach and had tremendous recruiting class and took off.   It is the same people spewing constant negativity on the board and it gets old.  I am pretty sure everyone knows where they stand because it is posted repeatedly.  If you have to keep replacing coaches all the time it is a sign you have problems, sometimes patience is needed.  Now this isn't directly related to Jones as I don't follow basketball enough to have a reasonable opinion about him.  But the Fire Hak crowd several years back and people calling for Bubba's head after a bad and injury plagued season is foolish.

Did the basketball team win a conference title recently? 

I don't think I was calling for heads in my post. I was pointing out the acceptance of mediocrity that has crept into the culture of the athletic department. Last year, with the exception of Volleyball, was dismal across the board. I am hoping Chaves doesn't give contract extensions like candy on Halloween the way Faison did.

Also.......I cannot help it if facts are sometimes negative.

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I don't think I was calling for heads in my post. I was pointing out the acceptance of mediocrity that has crept into the culture of the athletic department. Last year, with the exception of Volleyball, was dismal across the board. I am hoping Chaves doesn't give contract extensions like candy on Halloween the way Faison did.

Also.......I cannot help it if facts are sometimes negative.

This was the post I replied to first and to which I was referencing. 

Quote

Need a new coaching staff with a new leader (head coach) before UND can expect consistent top-end basketball within the Summit. Good news is new AD Chaves expects UND to compete for conference titles in every sport. When (not if, but when) UND fails to be competitive in the Summit, Chaves will be forced to get rid of the aloof Jones. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BigGame said:

This was the post I replied to first and to which I was making a referencing.

Oh, okay. Sorry about the mix-up.

I do think Jones is coaching for his job right now, but an immediate change is not in the cards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Looks like Geno has his Gopher opening.....

Gophs big transfers out....geno and his dad met with pitino....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s been the gophers all along ! Hell Pitino been practically living at Crandalls parents house for the past couple of months 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ND1 said:

It’s been the gophers all along ! Hell Pitino been practically living at Crandalls parents house for the past couple of months 

Luckily he only has to play one year and then is on his own.  Nothing to lose and very little work for Richie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

hell why not.... couldn't hurt

Kid was a lousiville recruit.. top 110 recruit... would be a solid summit league kid or better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Can be pretty confident now that those 19 credits will be completed.  Goophs will make sure of it.

I was going to say what if he can't complete all the credits and not graduate? Will UND let him back? I guess we can assume the Gophers will make sure he gets them completed or resort to some dirty under the table deal.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could be gonzaga....19 credits fact or rumor.....he took classes at UND during first summer...seems a bit high of a number....s dad wants the U....Geno likes tha zaga is a projected final 4 team

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, bounce said:

Could be gonzaga....19 credits fact or rumor.....he took classes at UND during first summer...seems a bit high of a number....s dad wants the U....Geno likes tha zaga is a projected final 4 team

19 credits is heavy for a regular session, let alone a summer session. However, given that some classes are 7 week classes and others are all summer, online classes, etc... I suppose its plausible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, bounce said:

Could be gonzaga....19 credits fact or rumor.....he took classes at UND during first summer...seems a bit high of a number....s dad wants the U....Geno likes tha zaga is a projected final 4 team

Would be surprised if Minnesota opened up a scholarship just for the chance of landing Geno. Have to think there was some sort of understanding after meeting that if a scholarship was open Geno would be a Gopher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

19 credits is heavy for a regular session, let alone a summer session. However, given that some classes are 7 week classes and others are all summer, online classes, etc... I suppose its plausible. 

He could do some distance learning classes and get those wrapped up in under two weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Can be pretty confident now that those 19 credits will be completed.  Goophs will make sure of it.

The way the big shots know how to manipulate the system you can bet those credits are already done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BigGame said:

I was not thinking expectations shouldn't be high but some people want to fire coaches almost immediately after they have any struggles.  

Did the basketball team win a conference title recently? 

Do you know how long Brian Jones has been the head men's basketball coach at UND (hint: it hasn't been only within the "immediate" past)? 

Do you know Brian Jones record as head men's basketball coach at UND?

Do you know if UND won their conference this most recent season? Do you know how many conference titles UND has had with Brian Jones as UND's head mens's basketball coach?

 

The answer to all of those questions are not up to my standards. I am not going to apologize just because some who support UND are subconsciously immune to mediocrity. Jones has a track record at UND that is not overly competitive save one season where UND made the NCAA tournament. I look at the big picture; it sounds like you do not follow UND basketball closely and are not familiar with the big picture. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Do you know how long Brian Jones has been the head men's basketball coach at UND (hint: it hasn't been only within the "immediate" past)? 

Do you know Brian Jones record as head men's basketball coach at UND?

Do you know if UND won their conference this most recent season? Do you know how many conference titles UND has had with Brian Jones as UND's head mens's basketball coach?

 

The answer to all of those questions are not up to my standards. I am not going to apologize just because some who support UND are subconsciously immune to mediocrity. Jones has a track record at UND that is not overly competitive save one season where UND made the NCAA tournament. I look at the big picture; it sounds like you do not follow UND basketball closely and are not familiar with the big picture. 

Yeah, I remember the men's basketball sucking while I was in school and directly before and after.  I have never thought of it as a particularly strong program.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gino to Minnesota makes sense....Gophers need a back up point....It's Gino's home town....team he's probably always dreamed to play for...be happy for the young man....also to play in front of family/friends....

Credits/smedits….how does UND get those Canadian 'junior' kids into school.....???? Always a way....not unique to Power 5 teams.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Do you know how long Brian Jones has been the head men's basketball coach at UND (hint: it hasn't been only within the "immediate" past)? 

Do you know Brian Jones record as head men's basketball coach at UND?

Do you know if UND won their conference this most recent season? Do you know how many conference titles UND has had with Brian Jones as UND's head mens's basketball coach?

 

The answer to all of those questions are not up to my standards. I am not going to apologize just because some who support UND are subconsciously immune to mediocrity. Jones has a track record at UND that is not overly competitive save one season where UND made the NCAA tournament. I look at the big picture; it sounds like you do not follow UND basketball closely and are not familiar with the big picture. 

Jones is the last coach, probably throughout all of our current coaches, from the DII era.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mens basketball has been competitive for small division one program that is less than 10 years old and has to compete with Hockey for attendance and resources. They won  Big Sky conference two years ago and have been competitive in conference tournament the 5 years in the Big Sky. Before that they did win the Great West conference where they won conference title. Und Basketball will struggle as long as Und hockey is the number one sport and now that UND football is also being pushed the resources left for Mens basketball will be limited. Look at this past year how long it took to even sign Jones to new contract he was one lowest paid coaches in division 1 and worst yet was his assistants were way under paid. Hard to put together a good program if you can't attract good people and keep them long term. The new rule changes in division 1 and changing of philosophy by large schools its going to be hard for smaller division 1 schools like UND to compete. They develop young kid into top flight player and big schools come in offer him chance to play in big dance how are you going to keep them with a chance to make impression to play at the next level. If you want my opinion if they have lower class for football they should have the same for basketball because same differences are occurring for basketball big schools have all the advantages especially with how kids are transferring for last one and two years of eligibility. But back to Und basketball this is sport every 2 to 3 years they will make run at conference championship and then if they are lucky they will get NCAA bid for the tournament but like most small division 1 schools it will be one and done and if you are very lucky you win one but done in next round. The top 8 teams out every region are only realistic teams that have chance to advance to final four and if you look at it only top 5 teams out every region has chance to reach the finals. So you can say there are only about 20 to 25 teams that have chance to play into final four. For the small division 1 program your playing for conference championship which is truly your championship tournament. Other things are just recognition for winning your conference and provide programing for tv to make their tournament seem like bigger deal than it is which is trying to find who at end year is best of top 20 to 25 teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

Mens basketball has been competitive for small division one program that is less than 10 years old and has to compete with Hockey for attendance and resources. They won  Big Sky conference two years ago and have been competitive in conference tournament the 5 years in the Big Sky. Before that they did win the Great West conference where they won conference title. Und Basketball will struggle as long as Und hockey is the number one sport and now that UND football is also being pushed the resources left for Mens basketball will be limited. Look at this past year how long it took to even sign Jones to new contract he was one lowest paid coaches in division 1 and worst yet was his assistants were way under paid. Hard to put together a good program if you can't attract good people and keep them long term. The new rule changes in division 1 and changing of philosophy by large schools its going to be hard for smaller division 1 schools like UND to compete. They develop young kid into top flight player and big schools come in offer him chance to play in big dance how are you going to keep them with a chance to make impression to play at the next level. If you want my opinion if they have lower class for football they should have the same for basketball because same differences are occurring for basketball big schools have all the advantages especially with how kids are transferring for last one and two years of eligibility. But back to Und basketball this is sport every 2 to 3 years they will make run at conference championship and then if they are lucky they will get NCAA bid for the tournament but like most small division 1 schools it will be one and done and if you are very lucky you win one but done in next round. The top 8 teams out every region are only realistic teams that have chance to advance to final four and if you look at it only top 5 teams out every region has chance to reach the finals. So you can say there are only about 20 to 25 teams that have chance to play into final four. For the small division 1 program your playing for conference championship which is truly your championship tournament. Other things are just recognition for winning your conference and provide programing for tv to make their tournament seem like bigger deal than it is which is trying to find who at end year is best of top 20 to 25 teams.

W...t...f....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×