SiouxSports.com Forum

2018-19 Season

bounce

7 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

When is graduation?  

Drick Bernstine announced his grad transfer intentions on 6/1/2017.  Safe to say he's another person not welcome at the UND1983 table of judgement?  Sounds pretty petty.  A non basketball school getting a star caliber player to stay for 4 years (3 on the court) and people are running him out of town with pitchforks.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, TheFlop said:

Drick Bernstine announced his grad transfer intentions on 6/1/2017.  Safe to say he's another person not welcome at the UND1983 table of judgement?  Sounds pretty petty.  A non basketball school getting a star caliber player to stay for 4 years (3 on the court) and people are running him out of town with pitchforks.  

he had already told the staff well before that.  When is graduation?

18 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

So if he would have let them know in late May he would have been fine but early June he screwed them over???

Crandall is guilty of not planning ahead and wanting to transfer earlier like Bernstine and Shanks.

15 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Crandall is guilty of not planning ahead and wanting to transfer earlier like Bernstine and Shanks.

By planning ahead, do you mean not graduating and leaving himself in a position where he might not be able to transfer?

13 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

And you know that Crandal didn't give any sort of heads up to Jones that this was a strong possibility?

He wanted the staff to keep his spot for him in case he isn't able to grad transfer. They told him no, they weren't waiting around and were going to move on if he couldn't commit to the team. Significantly different than having already graduated and telling the staff your intentions.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Is hearsay your forte?

Has he graduated? Can he grad transfer before he does? Did the examples you keep mentioning graduate before they announced their intentions?

Best of luck to Geno. Wish he could have finished his career at UND but he wasn't willing to commit to his senior season here and the staff needs to focus on players that want to commit to be on the team.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Pretty frustrating  that we have a lost/rebuilding season before we even start. How are fans supposed to get excited when we don't have a chance going in. We don't reload - we hope for one good year out of four.

Need a new coaching staff with a new leader (head coach) before UND can expect consistent top-end basketball within the Summit. Good news is new AD Chaves expects UND to compete for conference titles in every sport. When (not if, but when) UND fails to be competitive in the Summit, Chaves will be forced to get rid of the aloof Jones. 

• Upvote 3

I'll miss watching Geno play for UND this year, but if him leaving somehow leads to Jones gone sooner, that'll honestly more than make up for it to me. Geno's a good player, but I'm not sure we were built to make a big run this year anyway. Maybe it's a case of grass is always greener, but I just think we can do better than Jones. I've never been impressed with him and don't think he conducts himself that professionally on the sidelines (seems like he's always whining and over-reacting). 

5 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Need a new coaching staff with a new leader (head coach) before UND can expect consistent top-end basketball within the Summit. Good news is new AD Chaves expects UND to compete for conference titles in every sport. When (not if, but when) UND fails to be competitive in the Summit, Chaves will be forced to get rid of the aloof Jones. 

Do you feel like this about every UND sport?  It sure seems like it.  

11 hours ago, BigGame said:

Do you feel like this about every UND sport?  It sure seems like it.  

And you think we shouldn't feel that way about every UND sport? The minimum expectation should be to win conference titles. For MH and FB, the maximum expectations are to compete for, and win, NCAA titles. Either we shoot for the stars or we should move back down to Division II.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

And you think we shouldn't feel that way about every UND sport? The minimum expectation should be to win conference titles. For MH and FB, the maximum expectations are to compete for, and win, NCAA titles. Either we shoot for the stars or we should move back down to Division II.

only teams that have a MINIMUM expectation of winning conference titles should be in D1 and the fb team should expect to win the national title UND is the best school in the history of the world and every world class athlete in every sport is begging to attend UND and live in the greatest city ever Grand Forks... and you should not play the mega millions lottery if you do not have the minimum expectation of winning 50 million dollars otherwise you should only play scratch offs... 

• Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, bounce said:

only teams that have a MINIMUM expectation of winning conference titles should be in D1 and the fb team should expect to win the national title UND is the best school in the history of the world and every world class athlete in every sport is begging to attend UND and live in the greatest city ever Grand Forks... and you should not play the mega millions lottery if you do not have the minimum expectation of winning 50 million dollars otherwise you should only play scratch offs... 

:silly:

14 hours ago, hoops44 said:

Jones will be here until his contract is over...money talks bs walks

I will continue to say this but Faison did not do Jones and the program any favors with how they handled his contract.  We can argue about his coaching ability but the previous administration did not help his situation at all. They never should have made him a lame duck: either find the money to buy him out and hire a new staff or find the money to have extended him. Imagine if they had just done a 3 year extension at 120k after the 15-16 season, how much more would that have really cost the department...… 

Don't give me budget constraints, they could have found the money if they really, really tried. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I was not thinking expectations shouldn't be high but some people want to fire coaches almost immediately after they have any struggles.  We live in a society where people see one team have success right out of the gate with a new coach but that isn't normal or usually sustainable.  NDSU didn't become great in a year or two but they had the right coach and had tremendous recruiting class and took off.   It is the same people spewing constant negativity on the board and it gets old.  I am pretty sure everyone knows where they stand because it is posted repeatedly.  If you have to keep replacing coaches all the time it is a sign you have problems, sometimes patience is needed.  Now this isn't directly related to Jones as I don't follow basketball enough to have a reasonable opinion about him.  But the Fire Hak crowd several years back and people calling for Bubba's head after a bad and injury plagued season is foolish.

Did the basketball team win a conference title recently? 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

13 minutes ago, BigGame said:

I was not thinking expectations shouldn't be high but some people want to fire coaches almost immediately after they have any struggles.  We live in a society where people see one team have success right out of the gate with a new coach but that isn't normal or usually sustainable.  NDSU didn't become great in a year or two but they had the right coach and had tremendous recruiting class and took off.   It is the same people spewing constant negativity on the board and it gets old.  I am pretty sure everyone knows where they stand because it is posted repeatedly.  If you have to keep replacing coaches all the time it is a sign you have problems, sometimes patience is needed.  Now this isn't directly related to Jones as I don't follow basketball enough to have a reasonable opinion about him.  But the Fire Hak crowd several years back and people calling for Bubba's head after a bad and injury plagued season is foolish.

Did the basketball team win a conference title recently? 

Agree, 100%.  If those same people were held to the same lofty standards, they probably wouldn't have a job.  Would bet they perceive themselves flawless though. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I will continue to say this but Faison did not do Jones and the program any favors with how they handled his contract.  We can argue about his coaching ability but the previous administration did not help his situation at all. They never should have made him a lame duck: either find the money to buy him out and hire a new staff or find the money to have extended him. Imagine if they had just done a 3 year extension at 120k after the 15-16 season, how much more would that have really cost the department...… 

Don't give me budget constraints, they could have found the money if they really, really tried. 

true...Falson was either nuts or hoping that jones would fail so he could axe him without a a buyout.....with all the budget cuts buyouts look bad...still the loss of geno puts another nail in jones coffin....I really like jal but would not bet on him sticking around for more than one season.

22 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

It'd be pretty sad if Geno doesn't complete the 19 credits and his collegiate career ends up being over.

he will get them done...the question is when ... in the summer or fall quarter....no reason to believe he will not be playing by Jan.