SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. St. Cloud - SATURDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

8 hours ago, jk said:

When they've only won four games since December 2, it seems preposterous to think they could go on a little run.  But I think it's possible.  Since a very poor showing against Duluth, they went 2-4-4 to close the season.  The four losses included two in overtime and two trailing by one late in the third, until empty netters put them away.  The leads coughed up, and the inability to finish, have been real factors and I understand they can't be ignored.  But it's also true that they played very good teams Denver and St. Cloud to regulation draws in four out of four games.  They certainly deserved a better fate tonight, as did the aching goalposts.  What happens if they continue to play well, and actually catch a break?  Maybe a tight game falls the right way for once.  Or twice.

Agree with a lot of what you say and I too think they have a chance to make a little run given they have all their guys healthy.  But three of those games (Omaha and Miami) were against putrid defenses and we looked about as bad as a college team gets.

The amount of great scoring chances this weekend for UND was ridiculous which is a plus. The negative is the overall inability to put the puck in the back of the net. Last night should have been 4-0 after one period if not for an early whistle, 3 pipes and a couple other point blank chances.

8 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

Just never felt comfortable that we would win this game despite leading most of it and I think it was mostly because of how many chances we had to add to the lead and couldn't convert. 5 or 6 posts, a puck laying behind the goalie that could've been a tap in if not for a quick whistle, and a couple great chances with the goalie down and out. If I didn't watch the game I probably wouldn't believe we generated that many great chances. Played pretty well for most of the game, really just a terrible about 10 minutes in the 3rd period but that was enough to keep us from a win. Happy this team will get to host Omaha next weekend but definitely disappointed we were unable to get the win and that has been the feeling far too often this season hopefully that changes starting next weekend.

Agreed.  At the the day I thought this team played well both nights, but when looking at it, Friday they were still torched by defensive lapses and last night they still coughed up a two goal lead heading into the third (which should NEVER happen). This still still scares me.

9 hours ago, jk said:

When they've only won four games since December 2, it seems preposterous to think they could go on a little run.  But I think it's possible.  Since a very poor showing against Duluth, they went 2-4-4 to close the season.  The four losses included two in overtime and two trailing by one late in the third, until empty netters put them away.  The leads coughed up, and the inability to finish, have been real factors and I understand they can't be ignored.  But it's also true that they played very good teams Denver and St. Cloud to regulation draws in four out of four games.  They certainly deserved a better fate tonight, as did the aching goalposts.  What happens if they continue to play well, and actually catch a break?  Maybe a tight game falls the right way for once.  Or twice.

My thoughts exactly.  Although it has been frustrating, this team can match up with anybody when healthy.  The Denver and St. Cloud series were toe to toe.  Have to play the entire 60 minutes and quit taking stupid penalties.

1 hour ago, GoalieMask said:

So, what can we expect here?  Is it that simple?  Omaha is higher than UND now in Pairwise - does a series win by UND leapfrog/eliminate them?  Or could Omaha still finish higher than UND if, say, UND loses a semifinal in St Paul?

If we don't sweep UNO, they will pass us back without a win in st Paul. 

https://collegehockeyranked.com/tools/pwrcalculator/

So we’re Hoff and Peski injured Friday? They both seemed to play well then scratched on Sat. night. Should we put out an APB for Adams, something strange about these line ups. I know #10 and #11 are seniors but what to they bring to the table over the others, I don’t get it.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

So we’re Hoff and Peski injured Friday? They both seemed to play well then scratched on Sat. night. Should we put out an APB for Adams, something strange about these line ups. I know #10 and #11 are seniors but what to they bring to the table over the others, I don’t get it.

What gets me is a kid like Jon Lizotte for SCSU grew up in the shadows of the Ralph and all we hear about is “his skating is bad....he can’t skate....he won’t play at UND.” So he goes to SCSU and plays most of his games on an Olympic rink (not a good place for a poor skating defenseman) and is a key contributor for them and also a captain his junior season....(All Academic team too....)

I’ll stop there.  Glad local kids like he and Benson are having success elsewhere.

10 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

What gets me is a kid like Jon Lizotte for SCSU grew up in the shadows of the Ralph and all we hear about is “his skating is bad....he can’t skate....he won’t play at UND.” So he goes to SCSU and plays most of his games on an Olympic rink (not a good place for a poor skating defenseman) and is a key contributor for them and also a captain his junior season....(All Academic team too....)

I’ll stop there.  Glad local kids like he and Benson are having success elsewhere.

Hindsight is 20/20.   Not everyone peaks when you are watching...   Didn't Tucker Poolman struggle to find a NAHL team to play on?  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

Hindsight is 20/20.   Not everyone peaks when you are watching...   Didn't Tucker Poolman struggle to find a NAHL team to play on?  

Yep, and all the Michigan schools missed on Wolanin. 

15 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

UND decided to spend 2x as much on the same scholarship for a couple kids from Europe, who do no more than the two from Red River.  Plus, all the Canadians.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Have to think at least Hoff was dinged up.  Hopefully day-to-day.  No idea about Adams not playing the entire weekend.  I thought Peski was playing solid hockey so maybe something there too.

14 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

UND decided to spend 2x as much on the same scholarship for a couple kids from Europe, who do no more than the two from Red River.  Plus, all the Canadians.  

Is the cost to UND more for international students?   I understand out of state, out of country tuition is higher for the student, but for the institution would it not be the same?

12 minutes ago, SiouxFan25 said:

Yes, he was back on the ice within a few minutes

And immediately made the cross ice pass inside the Sioux zone that was picked off by sc. Fortunately Cam made the save

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

His skating improved a ton in his 2 years in the NAHL. I remember watching him at Red River and he had everything else but the skating was definitely a huge questionmark at the time but he put the work in and improved it at the junior level and it has paid off for him.

34 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

Is the cost to UND more for international students?   I understand out of state, out of country tuition is higher for the student, but for the institution would it not be the same?

Yes it is for international kids, considerably.  Which is why most questioned the women's philosophy considering their finances.

1 hour ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Wasn’t Peski the one who was nowhere to be found on Poehling’s breakaway goal?