SiouxSports.com Forum

Still think the Ralph needs

Fetch

25 minutes ago, MDtoGF said:

If youre gonna do a team, schedule games on the off weeks of und hockey.. you have 2 levels, also you can play echl hockey and get in the division with rapid city or play ahl puck. ECHL is cheaper and with more control. Sell cheap tickets, sell tickets to students, have cheep beer nights, cheap merch nights and sell 5 dollar group tickets in order to drive turn out. ECHL hockey is good hockey and does not require a membership fee like the ahl.. heck maybe winnepeg would move their affiliation to us since they could bus their prospects between us and Manitoba (vs flying them from jacksonville!) and winnepeg  could maybe kick in some of the costs. The team practices at another rink in town when there is a home and home weekend, UND still gets first priority. There is nothing wrong with the REA trying to work with an NHL squad and make some money on the periphery, have one dollar pack the house nights, donate tickets to charities in the area. My juniors team i worked for (the Indiana Ice) got 14,100 people to show up for pack the house night where the pacers play because we worked with local businesses and helped them donate tickets to local charities and we still made money. Get 5 ticket sales people and have them sell to every group from here to fargo and beyond. Minor league hockey can co-exist with UND and maybe there could be some co-branding opportunities. Just some thoughts to run minor league hockey well here from someone whose worked in hockey for a bit. 

Students aren't even showing up for UND games.  Another section will likely be taken from them this offseason per reports by Schlossman.  GF doesn't have the population to support another team.  Attendance would be similar to womens hockey or the U18 games.

10 minutes ago, ChrisUND1 said:

Not relevant.  We are an institution of higher learning with athletic teams that compete at the Division I level.  Not sure how  UND Fighting Hawks ties into an indian reservation near Devils Lake, ND.

Well I think it is relevant since Native Americans are part of the heritage of the state and UND happens to have a large program devoted to Natives. Is this Grand Forks State College or the University of North Dakota? 

12 minutes ago, ChrisUND1 said:

Students aren't even showing up for UND games.  Another section will likely be taken from them this offseason per reports by Schlossman.  GF doesn't have the population to support another team.  Attendance would be similar to womens hockey or the U18 games.

Thats fine.. price it right and tarp the upper bowl (block it off) like other teams do and sell cheap tickets to families who cant afford und games. If the ralph staffs it like whky they could even turn a profit. 

6 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Well I think it is relevant since Native Americans are part of the heritage of the state and UND happens to have a large program devoted to Natives. Is this Grand Forks State College or the University of North Dakota? 

How does that apply to the Ralph or hockey? 

15 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

What? Doesn't the University of North Dakota play there? Or is it the Grand Forks Fighting Hawks?

Also, I'm done here. This debate is beyond stupid. 

Agreed.  Also done.  Hopefully the Ralph stays state of the art for players and fans alike.

1 hour ago, tnt said:

It's the same ribbon board since the opening of the Ralph, but don't let facts stand in your rants. 

Heaven forbid.  While other teams are basing out of a crumbling structure.  But, get them those damn LED ribbons already!  

1 hour ago, ChrisUND1 said:

Have students sit behind the net we shoot at twice? ;)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

on ice projection is on the radar but its like 1 million for the system 

You wanna watch the women's hockey backers scream bloody murder?  Spend a million bucks on a new ice projection system...

2 hours ago, nodak651 said:

This would be amazing and way better than a new scoreboard.  That said, I think money should be put into the Betty.  Taller bleachers, upgraded players areas.

Money is going onto the floor of the Betty as the Summit Logo and (hopefully) the Fighting Hawk logo will be added to the floor this fall.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, northernraider said:

I feel the scoreboard might be a lomg hold out due to sioux logo underneath, but agree time for an update 

Anything with the Sioux logo will be on the back burner for replacement as the REA and the Sioux forever fans would die to see a Fighting Hawk logo in their presicous cathedral where a Sioux logo once was.

• Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

You wanna watch the women's hockey backers scream bloody murder?  Spend a million bucks on a new ice projection system...

There's a reason some of the ribbon board/scoreboards updates that were planned were instead postponed.

2 hours ago, ChrisUND1 said:

Hmmmm... I seem to remember packed basketball games used to be an event in Grand Forks. The population must have deceased since then.

4 hours ago, MDtoGF said:

If youre gonna do a team, schedule games on the off weeks of und hockey.. you have 2 levels, also you can play echl hockey and get in the division with rapid city or play ahl puck. ECHL is cheaper and with more control. Sell cheap tickets, sell tickets to students, have cheep beer nights, cheap merch nights and sell 5 dollar group tickets in order to drive turn out. ECHL hockey is good hockey and does not require a membership fee like the ahl.. heck maybe winnepeg would move their affiliation to us since they could bus their prospects between us and Manitoba (vs flying them from jacksonville!) and winnepeg  could maybe kick in some of the costs. The team practices at another rink in town when there is a home and home weekend, UND still gets first priority. There is nothing wrong with the REA trying to work with an NHL squad and make some money on the periphery, have one dollar pack the house nights, donate tickets to charities in the area. My juniors team i worked for (the Indiana Ice) got 14,100 people to show up for pack the house night where the pacers play because we worked with local businesses and helped them donate tickets to local charities and we still made money. Get 5 ticket sales people and have them sell to every group from here to fargo and beyond. Minor league hockey can co-exist with UND and maybe there could be some co-branding opportunities. Just some thoughts to run minor league hockey well here from someone whose worked in hockey for a bit. 

Cheap and beer don’t go in the same sentence when referring to the Ralph. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Putting students behind the goalie and letting the go a bit more nuts is the key me thinks

redesign the whole seating.. they have what 2 sections on lower 108-109 and three sections in upper. 307-308-309.

trade all of those for lower behind goalie. 104-105 and give them 303-306 up top.  Put the band maybe in top of 103 or 106 or first rows of 303.

Really its worth a shot...

7 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Putting students behind the goalie and letting the go a bit more nuts is the key me thinks

redesign the whole seating.. they have what 2 sections on lower 108-109 and three sections in upper. 307-308-309.

trade all of those for lower behind goalie. 104-105 and give them 303-306 up top.  Put the band maybe in top of 103 or 106 or first rows of 303.

Really its worth a shot...

I agree, but when I was a student, it was a pain in the ass to be separated from friends by being in lower or upper bowel.  I think it suppresses attendance, and the lines are unnecessary.  I say 103, 104, 105, 106.  The students all on one level would create a better environment, and eliminate the need for ridiculous lines to sit lower bowl.  If they don't change the sections, they should at least go back to separate tickets for lower and upper bowl. 

This would take away two lower bowl sections, but seats would be opened up on the red line in both the lower and upper bowl.  These are great seats. 

• Upvote 1