SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Ball 2018

geaux_sioux

On 4/4/2018 at 4:10 PM, LkvlleUNDFan said:

I'm hearing that he's damned near unblockable coming off the edge. If he can develop the LB instincts fast enough it'd be fun to see him get some time.

So teach him to block a < bleep-bleep > punt or kick!  :D 

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Speaking of attrition, I think someone could attrish themselves for a bit. Think of it as a sebatical.

Or maybe your ridiculously optimistic comments could come back down to Earth a bit? Just a thought.

My support for UND athletics has remained constant for years; and that hasn't changed. Some on this board have just become more sensitive with the football team's recent struggles.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Or maybe your ridiculously optimistic comments could come back down to Earth a bit? Just a thought.

My support for UND athletics has remained constant for years; and that hasn't changed. Some on this board have just become more sensitive with the football team's recent struggles.

My comments are far from purely optimistic. 

9 hours ago, shep said:

I can tell you're relatively new as you acknowledge you've "got no support for my opinion." 
This board is made up of people who typically post opinions for which they have no support.

Including me!

But it is a good question. IF the depth looks good (as I think it does now...just my opinion) then he could go there and CB is still covered well.

My two cents. The UND secondary has struggled to cover for the past few years as a group. See previous message board posts  and passing stats by our opponents for cohort data. But, the corner that plays the most physical and providing support in the run game has been Carter. He's been the best tackling corner on the team. So, maybe he could help at the safety position because if he we can't control the line of scrimmage and stop the run, like last year, our safeties will have many chances to make tackles.

6 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

My two cents. The UND secondary has struggled to cover for the past few years as a group. See previous message board posts  and passing stats by our opponents for cohort data. But, the corner that plays the most physical and providing support in the run game has been Carter. He's been the best tackling corner on the team. So, maybe he could help at the safety position because if he we can't control the line of scrimmage and stop the run, like last year, our safeties will have many chances to make tackles.

I am so hopeful (sorry UND-FB Fan) that the LB core will be so much improved, the Safetys will not need to be that active in the tackle game except v WR's and TE's etc.

11 hours ago, ND1 said:

They are close to signing another corner or safety, not sure if it’s a juco or a FBS drop down 

FBS drop downs are not an automatic upgrade; they didn't play at that level for a reason. Just saying. I'd prefer a juco kid versus a drop down. The faulty logic is in the thinking because a kid signed a FBS offer, it means they are automatically better players than FCS players. Scouts, recruiters get it wrong sometimes and sometimes, kids get offers to coax other kids to sigh with an FBS school.

13 hours ago, shep said:

I am so hopeful (sorry UND-FB Fan) that the LB core will be so much improved, the Safetys will not need to be that active in the tackle game except v WR's and TE's etc.

I think transfer Everett Williams (if he stays healthy of course) will make a huge impact. Schmidt and Bubba haven't had that type of body at ILB since they were at SIU, and that guy (Jayson DiManche) got a chance at the next level. Ratelle was obviously a great player at that spot for Schmidt but he was limited in height as we all know. Nevertheless, if Williams can play anywhere close to what Ratelle did, UND will instantly shoot up in run defense.

I think the other inside spot will also be much improved with both Larson and Rodgers available. 

Outside backer, other than the knowns of Palmborg and Lawrence, is a little more iffy in terms of depth. Hopefully some guys surprise there, like Austin Gordon.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Old School Guy said:

FBS drop downs are not an automatic upgrade; they didn't play at that level for a reason. Just saying. I'd prefer a juco kid versus a drop down. The faulty logic is in the thinking because a kid signed a FBS offer, it means they are automatically better players than FCS players. Scouts, recruiters get it wrong sometimes and sometimes, kids get offers to coax other kids to sigh with an FBS school.

Sometimes it's beyond the talent why FBS kids don't get playing time. In the right situation, FBS dropdowns can make a huge impact against FCS competition.

Juco kids have plenty of faults too (mainly why did they have to go juco in the first place).

4 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Sometimes it's beyond the talent why FBS kids don't get playing time. In the right situation, FBS dropdowns can make a huge impact against FCS competition.

Juco kids have plenty of faults too (mainly why did they have to go juco in the first place).

Braden Hanson comes to mind, not everyday a UND QB throws for 600 yards in a game.

4 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I agree with its beyond talent why FBS kids don't get playing time. Same can be said at all levels of football (sports in general for that matter). If there is a coaching change, kids that weren't recruited by the current staff tend to get less playing time, personality conflicts between coaches and players, on field performance, scheme compared to ability of the player, etc. all factor in.

in recent memory, the RB from UAB Ja'Won  Arrington, never made an impact, and Irving Sills was a liability on defense. I know that's a small sample size but not many FBS drop downs light it up at the FCS level. Many should have been at the FCS level to begin with. JUCO kids sometimes have issues with grades or disciplinary issues but can play otherwise.  Like Cam Newton who went JUCO before arriving at Auburn.

On 4/7/2018 at 4:54 PM, Old School Guy said:

I to this day am still wondering how a talent like Jerry Rice, Walter Payton, and many others to include Carson Wentz did not play at the FBS level? Seriously.

Recruiting is not as scientific and objective as we think it is.  So many variables.

On 4/7/2018 at 2:54 PM, Old School Guy said:

I to this day am still wondering how a talent like Jerry Rice, Walter Payton, and many others to include Carson Wentz did not play at the FBS level? Seriously.

I think Wentz was injured and sat out his entire Junior year so he wasn't really on too many peoples radar going into his senior year and I'm sure most FBS schools had their eye on the prospect or two they wanted at QB by then.  Plus having what......maybe only 1 other FBS quarterback come out of ND (Bollinger) in the past 20 years didn't help things either. 

On 4/7/2018 at 4:16 PM, UND-FB-FAN said:

I think we just support coaches and players and wait for the season to start.

GO FIGHTING HAWKS!

You know I support UND but I just don’t transition so well at this age. Don’t mean to offend anyone....

Support coaches and players and wait for fall!

6 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

I think Wentz was injured and sat out his entire Junior year so he wasn't really on too many peoples radar going into his senior year and I'm sure most FBS schools had their eye on the prospect or two they wanted at QB by then.  Plus having what......maybe only 1 other FBS quarterback come out of ND (Bollinger) in the past 20 years didn't help things either. 

Your last sentence is very telling. North Dakota is largely ignored by all FBS schools. I mean, many in-state programs (including UND) have even been recently criticized for not focusing more on in-state talent. 

8 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

He broke his hand and had to play wr one handed.