SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Ball 2018

geaux_sioux

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I wouldn't compare the Florida-Georgia rivalry to the UND spring game/scrimmage.

That's textbook apples to oranges. 

Something somewhat comparable would be if UND played NDSU at US Bank Stadium or TCF Bank Stadium, which some have chattered about before. NDSU is playing at Target Field soon; would've been nice to have UND-NDSU in that setting. 

http://gobison.com/news/2016/10/24/north-dakota-state-to-play-2019-football-season-opener-at-target-field.aspx

It still sickens me that St.Peter would make this arrangement with NDSU before UND, his alma mater. Even further proof, I guess, that NDSU football has completely overtaken UND football.

I don't remember the details but I thought St. Peter tried to make something work with UND before NDSU but something got in the way.  Not sure what.

I might be thinking of hockey.  Anybody else have any details?

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/football/4432012-two-und-football-players-cited-disorderly-conduct

Two of our football players were picked up at 12:30 AM Saturday.    So the night before the big spring game they are out drinking and partying and causing trouble.     Did these two even play in the game?    I sure hope Bubba does a lot more than monitor the situation or this crap will just keep happening.   

58 minutes ago, TRex said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/football/4432012-two-und-football-players-cited-disorderly-conduct

Two of our football players were picked up at 12:30 AM Saturday.    So the night before the big spring game they are out drinking and partying and causing trouble.     Did these two even play in the game?    I sure hope Bubba does a lot more than monitor the situation or this crap will just keep happening.   

It was the Night AFTER the game. Friday night, early Saturday morning.

1 hour ago, TRex said:

Inexcusable behavior, but these sort of arrests have been going on for a long, long time with college football student-athletes. Still not excusable and very unfortunate. I hope not just these kids but the entire football team learns from this. You want wins, you need to act like a winner both on AND off the field. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TRex said:

They were talking a leak someplace downtown not in a restroom and tried to run. Not good but also not drugs or assault.  Get the fleeing dropped and have them do extra laps then leave it behind.  If it had been hockey players it would already be forgotten and the officers would have been reprimanded and issued an apology.

6 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I don't remember the details but I thought St. Peter tried to make something work with UND before NDSU but something got in the way.  Not sure what.

I might be thinking of hockey.  Anybody else have any details?

My guess is that NDSU didn’t want to give UND any kind of an advantage. NDSU is playing Butler so it’s not like it’s gonna be a close game. Fans will be bored at halftime and head out to the MOA.  Crowd will be 99% Bison, but if they were playing UND it would definitely be close to 50%.

1 hour ago, shep said:

It was the Night AFTER the game. Friday night, early Saturday morning.

Sorry.   I had thought for some reason the game was Saturday.    Still, this sort of thing doesn't help the program any.   Give an inch and pretty soon they want a mile.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TRex said:

Sorry.   I had thought for some reason the game was Saturday.    Still, this sort of thing doesn't help the program any.   Give an inch and pretty soon they want a mile.

It's not good news, no doubt, but I'm in my 50's and have "gone" outside in a GF alley in the last few years. Not proud, but it happens. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, shep said:

It's not good news, no doubt, but I'm in my 50's and have "gone" outside in a GF alley in the last few years. Not proud, but it happens. 

Actually the MIP bothers me more than the pissing in the wind.    If you're on the team, at least follow the rules or be discrete and drink at home.    It just shows a total lack of discipline. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, TRex said:

This is what the GF PD does with their plain clothes officers on a Friday night.  Good grief.  

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I wouldn't compare the Florida-Georgia rivalry to the UND spring game/scrimmage.

That's textbook apples to oranges. 

Something somewhat comparable would be if UND played NDSU at US Bank Stadium or TCF Bank Stadium, which some have chattered about before. NDSU is playing at Target Field soon; would've been nice to have UND-NDSU in that setting. 

http://gobison.com/news/2016/10/24/north-dakota-state-to-play-2019-football-season-opener-at-target-field.aspx

It still sickens me that St.Peter would make this arrangement with NDSU before UND, his alma mater. Even further proof, I guess, that NDSU football has completely overtaken UND football.

Yeah, no doubt, what the hell is St Peter doing putting his job before his alma mater? 

Seriously man, you think it is all on him? And even if it is, he got a ticket that will sell. Lots of Sioux fans in the cities, but compare that to bison fans, especially for football, it’s not even close. Guy has a job to do, and he isn’t going to play favorites if that impacts his bottom line.

and of course NDSU football has overtaken UND, along with every other fcs program in the last decade. Have you been watching?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, Milford torgerson said:

This must have been the worst stuff going on.  Calm night.

In a college town it would have been a very quiet night to worry about this. But still, don’t resist! Hope Bubba handles small problems correctly.... may stop them from turning into bigger ones!

13 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Meh, college kids are often going to drink. Only thing that bothers me is the attempted fleeing. 

I'm fine with it being handled internally at practice. If they sat the first half of the first game I wouldn't be upset though. 

What really bothers me is that they attempted to flee but couldn't get away.  We clearly need to recruit my speed  to this football team.  :p

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Mama Sue said:

In a college town it would have been a very quiet night to worry about this. But still, don’t resist! Hope Bubba handles small problems correctly.... may stop them from turning into bigger ones!

Last year it was cut$$ from scholarships and suspended for a game for a minor!, lets hope he keeps this in perspective and maybe some community service, volunteer hours would be more than sufficient.  Lets face it, this is chicken s--t compared to some of the situations these young men could be in to.  Stop the drain of talented players leaving/transferring/getting booted out for some of these Minor Violations.  I know of Many programs that this type of infraction would NEVER make news. GF certainly needs a story I guess!

Don't do dumb stuff to get your name in the paper and you don't have to worry about consequences.

That being said, it is a fairly minor thing, though definitely not very smart. They didn't try to beat anyone up or run away while they were handcuffed, so it could always be worse.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Yeah, no doubt, what the hell is St Peter doing putting his job before his alma mater? 

Seriously man, you think it is all on him? And even if it is, he got a ticket that will sell. Lots of Sioux fans in the cities, but compare that to bison fans, especially for football, it’s not even close. Guy has a job to do, and he isn’t going to play favorites if that impacts his bottom line.

and of course NDSU football has overtaken UND, along with every other fcs program in the last decade. Have you been watching?

Seriously man, that's all you got from that?

I wasn't putting this all on your best bud Dave, but I guess I should've been more specific to not offend some of "you".

Try not to sympthesize with the current situation so much. UND football is getting piled on here with these types of the arrangements. It goes beyond just the product on the football field.

Did NDSU have enough support for a game like this in the Twin cities just 10 years ago? Of course not, but they've grown and UND has regressed. All in all, we are where we are, but these type of promos just continue to put UND way behind the eight ball. 

I guess the trajectory of both football programs (NDSU way up, UND down) is common sense to even "UND fans".

• 1 month later...
On 4/14/2018 at 1:21 PM, homer said:

Across the country you are seeing spring games scaled back more and more.  After last season this coaching staff would have been crucified on this board if they would have got the bullets flying and one or two players got injured.  

The idea of some different fan interaction would be good.  My kids got some autographs and ran on the track while I watched so that was good 

I know I'm late to this party, but I actually thought it was a terrible event. We all know UND doesn't have the budget to do an extravagant event, but you can't make this a recruiting tool if everyone is bored. The venue isn't great for fans, but so much more could have been done to make people feel welcome, build some excitement, and have recruits driving home thinking, "yeah, I'd like to go there..." Glitz isn't Bubba's style or his strength, but nobody chooses UND football for glitz anyway. Just make it a little more engaging for the people that took time out of their day (and drove through a snowstorm) to get there.

Good news is, the boys got their rings yesterday!

IMG_3636.JPG

• Upvote 1