SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Ball 2018

geaux_sioux

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

Burgum is a Bison fan, wouldn’t be surprise to see him at the Bison spring game. Isn’t Bismarck more Bison fans after the success of Carson Wentz? Hold the spring game, yes make it green vs white, and hold it at the Alerus.

You sure he isn't a little of both? I know his brother is a Sioux fan.

14 minutes ago, homer said:

I’m all for trying new stuff but I don’t know how you make a spring game anymore exciting.  Fan interaction would be good but the games themselves are always pretty vanilla.  

Homer do they try a little harder to be first class at SU?  

23 minutes ago, homer said:

I’m all for trying new stuff but I don’t know how you make a spring game anymore exciting.  Fan interaction would be good but the games themselves are always pretty vanilla.  

I realize it's not the same, but didnt Alabama sell out its Spring Game a few years ago? So make it interesting enough, free, and worth people's time they will show up. 

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

once again...maybe all the reason more to move this game around the state for a couple of years....

This is completely unprecedented in modern DI football for one reason: it's a bad idea.

UND needs to learn to move it to where they play the games: Alerus Center. Completely foolish to not use the facility that they continue to pump money into every year for increased gameday experiences. 

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

You sure he isn't a little of both? I know his brother is a Sioux fan.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bisonillustrated.com/doug-burgum-talks-national-championships/amp/

The 33rd Governor of the State of North Dakota bleeds green and gold. Doug Burgum graduated from NDSU in the late 1970s where he was a proud member of the cheer team.

9 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

This is completely unprecedented in modern DI football for one reason: it's a bad idea.

UND needs to learn to move it to where they play the games: Alerus Center. Completely foolish to not use the facility that they continue to pump money into every year for increased gameday experiences. 

so when florida plays georgia in jaxsonville......

1 hour ago, northernraider said:

I realize it's not the same, but didnt Alabama sell out its Spring Game a few years ago? So make it interesting enough, free, and worth people's time they will show up. 

Yeah, it’s not the same.  

There are high school teams there that average more than any college teams here.  

17 minutes ago, homer said:

For their spring game, not really. 

They used to do a good spring game. An actual game at an actual stadium. Since they've been playing 15 games a year their spring season isn't as important for getting reps as it is for healing so they've dialed it down a bit.

32 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

They used to do a good spring game. An actual game at an actual stadium. Since they've been playing 15 games a year their spring season isn't as important for getting reps as it is for healing so they've dialed it down a bit.

And an actual game made it better?

it was all run plays with a running clock in the second half.  No starters.  No entertainment and not much different than yesterday. 

37 minutes ago, homer said:

And an actual game made it better?

it was all run plays with a running clock in the second half.  No starters.  No entertainment and not much different than yesterday. 

I’m talking about around 2010. Before their big run happened and they were trying to build things up.

8 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND's entire athletic department has dropped the ball on this recently.

The setup had been the wishes of the head coach. If you want it changed, he's the one to talk to. However, I agree they should go back to the Alerus and make it more of an event. Nicer weather for some tailgating yesterday would have been nice, but can't really control that. 

Moving it out of town is a really bad idea for multiple reasons. Just to name a few: It's a big junior recruiting weekend, student athletes are still in class and they would either have to stay over night or be on a bus all day for a 2 hour event and miss classes, the support would be questionable. 

5 hours ago, darell1976 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bisonillustrated.com/doug-burgum-talks-national-championships/amp/

The 33rd Governor of the State of North Dakota bleeds green and gold. Doug Burgum graduated from NDSU in the late 1970s where he was a proud member of the cheer team.

Didn’t know that. I know Rick is a UND guy though.

12 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Wasn’t there grilling and some kick off food? Do Es someone still do that?

16 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

so when florida plays georgia in jaxsonville......

I wouldn't compare the Florida-Georgia rivalry to the UND spring game/scrimmage.

That's textbook apples to oranges. 

Something somewhat comparable would be if UND played NDSU at US Bank Stadium or TCF Bank Stadium, which some have chattered about before. NDSU is playing at Target Field soon; would've been nice to have UND-NDSU in that setting. 

http://gobison.com/news/2016/10/24/north-dakota-state-to-play-2019-football-season-opener-at-target-field.aspx

It still sickens me that St.Peter would make this arrangement with NDSU before UND, his alma mater. Even further proof, I guess, that NDSU football has completely overtaken UND football.

59 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I wouldn't compare the Florida-Georgia rivalry to the UND spring game/scrimmage.

That's textbook apples to oranges. 

Something somewhat comparable would be if UND played NDSU at US Bank Stadium or TCF Bank Stadium, which some have chattered about before. NDSU is playing at Target Field soon; would've been nice to have UND-NDSU in that setting. 

http://gobison.com/news/2016/10/24/north-dakota-state-to-play-2019-football-season-opener-at-target-field.aspx

It still sickens me that St.Peter would make this arrangement with NDSU before UND, his alma mater. Even further proof, I guess, that NDSU football has completely overtaken UND football.

I have full confidence in Dave St. Peter. Dave and Hal Gershman  and a few others, few on this board, saw thru the Fighting Sioux Nickname demise. They new what had just happened. Saying it publicly different story.

There attempt to have no nickname just North Dakota as an option was not going to happen. They knew