SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Ball 2018

geaux_sioux

The “Spring Game” setup is a joke. You don’t learn much of anything from a scrimmage. Make it a real game on a real field and we can see sho actually has that it factor when the bullets start flying. It would also be more entertaining for fans and recruits. You can still show the recruits the HPC before the game which is great but it’s not a game venue. Go live for real with a bunch of young guys and see what they’ve got. That’s what the spring game is for, it’s a showcase of the future.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, shep said:

Rooney looks so short

Shep I appreciate your thoughts. 

Is it possible you are confusing Rooney and Aplin? Rooney is listed as 6’3”, Aplin at 5’11”.

My main takeaway with the Spring Game is that it needs to be more of a fun, festive EVENT. While a practice shouldn’t be sacrificed as they only get 15 each spring, the top priorities should be the recruits and the fans. Make the atmosphere as fun as possible. I know that speakers are part of Phase 2, but adding fun music, the Aleris announcer for play by play, bringing fans onto the field for the field goal drills at the end to try to freeze the kicker, a student vs. player 40 yard dash competition, encouraging fans to pick sides and cheer for the OL/DL one on ones.... lots of possibilities.

If I were a recruit at this game I’d have said “boring.”  See what can be done to make this game “lit.” 

As a fan it would have been nice to have had Bubba get on the mic to thank everyone for their support and encourage them to support the team in the fall. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My number one impression: 

Have the damn "game" at the place where the GAMES are played: THE ALERUS CENTER; when the crowd piles up, as it did yesterday, the HPC is horrible for viewing purposes. I think it is ridiculous that the HPC is used for the finale or spring game or spring scrimmage or whatever you wish to call it. It maybe made sense the first time around because it allowed everyone to see the building but now its just idiotic. 

Otherwise:

Defense looked fast. Definitely potential to get after the QB and stop the run in 2018 like the defense traditionally has done. Austin Gordon was quick around the edge. Guys at ILB look good; need to stay healthy obviously. New batch of DL look good with potential. Mason Bennett could have a HUGE year. 

The defensive backfield is still the biggest defensive question mark in my opinion. UND's offense didn't give the DBs any real look in order to test the DBs ability. 

UND's offensive line was pathetic in pass blocking. NO time really at all. 

Rudolph is definitely *trying* to implement a screen game. We'll see how it goes.

Ketteringham is still my favorite at QB but he didn't show anything overly special in the spring scrimmage. Still work to be done.

UND's backfield trio of Santiago, Oliveira, and Johannesson remains very impressive; however, I remain unimpressed with the overall look of the offense. Hope it was just limited in the scrimmage setting and it will look better come fall. I just don't know if Rudolph's offensive system will ever be able to impress me. Too archaic and crude for my taste. There are definitely weapons (McKinney, Toivonen, Griebel, Adeoti, Wanzek, Cloyd) to utilize if Rudolph and offense would be a bit creative. I just don't think the offensive line will be physical enough to play the methodical, conservative style that Bubba and Rudolph have been running. 

We'll see. 

Good news: defense showed potential up front.

Bad news: offensive line and passing game was poor.

Bottom line: This is typically the spring ball narrative irregardless of how the fall subsequently turns out. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

Is it possible you are confusing Rooney and Aplin? Rooney is listed as 6’3”, Aplin at 5’11”.

My main takeaway with the Spring Game is that it needs to be more of a fun, festive EVENT. While a practice shouldn’t be sacrificed as they only get 15 each spring, the top priorities should be the recruits and the fans. Make the atmosphere as fun as possible. I know that speakers are part of Phase 2, but adding fun music, the Aleris announcer for play by play, bringing fans onto the field for the field goal drills at the end to try to freeze the kicker, a student vs. player 40 yard dash competition, encouraging fans to pick sides and cheer for the OL/DL one on ones.... lots of possibilities.

If I were a recruit at this game I’d have said “boring.”  See what can be done to make this game “lit.” 

As a fan it would have been nice to have had Bubba get on the mic to thank everyone for their support and encourage them to support the team in the fall. 

Spring game needs to be where the games are held: Alerus Center.

Pure and simple. 

UND's entire athletic department has dropped the ball on this recently.

Put some damn effort and creativity into your job people. 

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

Maybe, but I thought I checked the roster twice because I was so struck by how short, squat he was

Agree with the rest of your thoughts, too. 

13 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Have the damn "game" at the place where the GAMES are played: THE ALERUS CENTER; when the crowd piles up, as it did yesterday, the HPC is horrible for viewing purposes. I think it is ridiculous that the HPC is used for the finale or spring game or spring scrimmage or whatever you wish to call it. It maybe made sense the first time around because it allowed everyone to see the building but now its just idiotic. 

Otherwise:

Defense looked fast. Definitely potential to get after the QB and stop the run in 2018 like the defense traditionally has done. Austin Gordon was quick around the edge. Guys at ILB look good; need to stay healthy obviously. New batch of DL look good with potential. Mason Bennett could have a HUGE year. 

The defensive backfield is still the biggest defensive question mark in my opinion. UND's offense didn't give the DBs any real look in order to test the DBs ability. 

Rudolph is definitely *trying* to implement a screen game. We'll see how it goes.

Ketteringham is still my favorite at QB but he didn't show anything overly special in the spring scrimmage. Still work to be done.

UND's backfield trio of Santiago, Oliveira, and Johannesson remains very impressive; however, I remain unimpressed with the overall look of the offense. Hope it was just limited in the scrimmage setting and it will look better come fall. I just don't know if Rudolph's offensive system will ever be able to impress me. Too archaic and crude for my taste. There are definitely weapons (McKinney, Toivonen, Griebel, Adeoti, Wanzek, Cloyd) to utilize if Rudolph and offense would be a bit creative. I just don't think the offensive line will be physical enough to play the methodical, conservative style that Bubba and Rudolph have been running. 

We'll see. 

Bottom line: This is typically the spring ball narrative irregardless of how the fall subsequently turns out. 

Did you walk around in an attempt to get a good view-I did, and it was not really possible.

The DLine was in the backfield for every QB to contend with on every play. The are fast.

For a bit, I chatted with President Kennedy. He was looking to chat with people it seems.

Just now, UNDBIZ said:

Bismarck bars don't even put the UND games on TV anymore. It would be me and 3 other people standing out in the cold watching them play. 

all the more reason to "rebuild" ourselves as the flagship university....i bet you would be surprised at how many people would attend if marketed correctly...get the high schools involved...get burgum out there...have caulker and gretzy out there.

2 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Bismarck bars don't even put the UND games on TV anymore. It would be me and 3 other people standing out in the cold watching them play. 

What's next football only on the radio in the Fargo GF radio range.

23 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

all the more reason to "rebuild" ourselves as the flagship university....i bet you would be surprised at how many people would attend if marketed correctly...get the high schools involved...get burgum out there...have caulkeand gretzy out there.

Right it's UND for all of ND. B4 1999 UND was treated as the flagship U. Thank you Tom Clifford and miss your. leadership.

Caution I have entered the web monsters zone 3 2 1. 

Lighten up guys

50 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Otherwise:

We'll see. 

It was a solid post and then you threw that "word" in......

Question, when they shuffle offensive groups in and out, is all of #1 OL unit in one group......and then the #2 in the other group?  Or do they mix the 1's and 2's in each group?  If they mix the #1's and 2's in together I think that is partial reason why OL doesn't look that great.   I would guess the #2 DL group would probably eat up the #2 OL group, so if the 1's and 2's are all mixed together....definite advantage to DL.  

I agree more of a game setting would be a lot better for the fans.  And I also think it is really hard to get a feel for anything when it's not really real and defense doesn't really have to worry about getting burned over the top or anything because ball goes back to the same spot anyway.   Like Geaux Sioux said.....until the bullets are flying for real....hard to tell all that much.  I don't think there was a single ball thrown over middle for more than 15 yards.  That freshman TE looked pretty good. 

Sherva (sp?) looked like he can be a servicable 4th RB so probably a good move to get Gordon on the field more on defense.  Also it sounds like Gordon is the one who approached the coaches about it, not the other way around.  Have to admire the kid for sitting out a year and sticking with it, and then willing and wanting to change position he hasn't played just to get on the field.  Hope he has a nice year. 

Would have been nice to been there in person.  But on bright side I'm going golfing in a few....while you guys enjoy the snow  :)  

Across the country you are seeing spring games scaled back more and more.  After last season this coaching staff would have been crucified on this board if they would have got the bullets flying and one or two players got injured.  

The idea of some different fan interaction would be good.  My kids got some autographs and ran on the track while I watched so that was good 

I hope the new AD has something up his sleeve as the Spring Gane would be a great way to fill the athletics void this time of year. The only sports occuring right now, most people dont really follow or care (hopefully softball is changing that view) Especially during the off years with UND post-season hockey. 

Would be a great way to celebrate both the current athletic year success and looking ahead toward the next one. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Bus the team over to bismarck on friday morning...stop in jamestown and have the whole team pose for a photo in front of the world's biggest buffalo...trollin' at its best.

Trouble maker eh. This is your first warning. Ha

2 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

all the more reason to "rebuild" ourselves as the flagship university....i bet you would be surprised at how many people would attend if marketed correctly...get the high schools involved...get burgum out there...have caulker and gretzy out there.

Burgum is a Bison fan, wouldn’t be surprise to see him at the Bison spring game. Isn’t Bismarck more Bison fans after the success of Carson Wentz? Hold the spring game, yes make it green vs white, and hold it at the Alerus.

3 hours ago, Ozzie82 said:

After 4 years of this it is quite obvious that those in charge just do not care to make this an event for the fans.

29 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Burgum is a Bison fan, wouldn’t be surprise to see him at the Bison spring game. Isn’t Bismarck more Bison fans after the success of Carson Wentz? Hold the spring game, yes make it green vs white, and hold it at the Alerus.

once again...maybe all the reason more to move this game around the state for a couple of years....

26 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

once again...maybe all the reason more to move this game around the state for a couple of years....

If I recall correctly Don Morton took the Mighty Bison on the road to show case the explosive veer offense. Spring game