Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
geaux_sioux

Spring Ball 2018

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

I think Wentz was injured and sat out his entire Junior year so he wasn't really on too many peoples radar going into his senior year and I'm sure most FBS schools had their eye on the prospect or two they wanted at QB by then.  Plus having what......maybe only 1 other FBS quarterback come out of ND (Bollinger) in the past 20 years didn't help things either. 

He broke his hand and had to play wr one handed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

He broke his hand and had to play wr one handed.

So he has a history of punching lockers and breaking hand/wrist........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

So he has a history of punching lockers and breaking hand/wrist........

No no no. It happend DURING the game. It’s the ONLY reason they lost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2018 at 4:15 AM, UND-FB-FAN said:

Your last sentence is very telling. North Dakota is largely ignored by all FBS schools. I mean, many in-state programs (including UND) have even been recently criticized for not focusing more on in-state talent. 

When I apply my very unscientific and largely ignored hypothesis to determine a player's  potential, I consider the level of competition they competed against in high school. Perhaps, ND is not considered a deep pool for football resulting in kids being overlooked. Regional reputation matters, whether its accurate or fair or not. The southern tier states have a reputation of producing football players because of sheer volume Start playing football as soon as they can breathe, walk and hold a ball at the same time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I look at the team to the south of us, I notice it often has ND boys blocking for the southern state boys. Nothing like hard working, ND linemen to lead your O to a TD and a title.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, shep said:

When I look at the team to the south of us, I notice it often has ND boys blocking for the southern state boys. Nothing like hard working, ND linemen to lead your O to a TD and a title.

Grady would have been an nice feather in the hat for UND football. Too bad he didn't stick around. There was another kid Justus Merz who decided to hang up the cleats before he ever played a down for UND. Not sure if he was from ND.  He had a D-1 body.The team down south is on a whole different level than us. Maybe we get there one day, starting with the 2018 season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

Grady would have been an nice feather in the hat for UND football. Too bad he didn't stick around. There was another kid Justus Merz who decided to hang up the cleats before he ever played a down for UND. Not sure if he was from ND.  He had a D-1 body.The team down south is on a whole different level than us. Maybe we get there one day, starting with the 2018 season.

I believe Merz was from Missouri or Kansas or something like that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

I believe Merz was from Missouri or Kansas or something like that. 

Yep, Missouri I believe. There was quite a bit of hype around this kid. Seems like some of these high talent guys have other issues are priorities. Are this just unfortunate misses or does our coaching staff seem to overlook some potential red flags that some other schools might be seeing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 7:58 AM, shep said:

When I look at the team to the south of us, I notice it often has ND boys blocking for the southern state boys. Nothing like hard working, ND linemen to lead your O to a TD and a title.

I can't find it right now but I believe that on SU's depth chart going into spring ball seven of their top 10 offensive linemen were from ND.  Unbelievable! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Yep, Missouri I believe. There was quite a bit of hype around this kid. Seems like some of these high talent guys have other issues are priorities. Are this just unfortunate misses or does our coaching staff seem to overlook some potential red flags that some other schools might be seeing.

We beat out SDSU on the guy. He had a shoulder that never let him get it going. It was unfortunate but you can’t blame the coaches for recruiting him because his film was outstanding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UND Fan said:

I can't find it right now but I believe that on SU's depth chart going into spring ball seven of their top 10 offensive linemen were from ND.  Unbelievable! 

Cody Mauch went to them as PWO at 6’6” 220 for TE.  Now is 270 and being evaluated for tackle.  Cody had a wide frame that could obviously hold additional weight effectively. Their player development is obviously effective and we need to get there.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Class_of_98 said:

Cody Mauch went to them as PWO at 6’6” 220 for TE.  Now is 270 and being evaluated for tackle.  Cody had a wide frame that could obviously hold additional weight effectively. Their player development is obviously effective and we need to get there.

We need upper class depth to finally get established across the board so the young guys can take the time to build their bodies up and be ready. Then only the young guys who are ready right away will play instead of throwing someone out there who needed to redshirt.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

We beat out SDSU on the guy. He had a shoulder that never let him get it going. It was unfortunate but you can’t blame the coaches for recruiting him because his film was outstanding.

Yeah, didn't mean it as an accusation so much as a question. Grady had issues...twice. Even with Haas leaving this year (though I don't know the reasons). I think there have been a few others as well. Not sure if the coaches aren't spotting something they should be, or if this is just normal attrition in college.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Yeah, didn't mean it as an accusation so much as a question. Grady had issues...twice. Even with Haas leaving this year (though I don't know the reasons). I think there have been a few others as well. Not sure if the coaches aren't spotting something they should be, or if this is just normal attrition in college.

There will always be attrition in college football but I have a hard time figuring out what level is normal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 6:58 AM, shep said:

When I look at the team to the south of us, I notice it often has ND boys blocking for the southern state boys. Nothing like hard working, ND linemen to lead your O to a TD and a title.

One of the things I struggle to understand is the number of big athletic kids we bring in at TE.  We don't utilize them very well in the passing game and we cant get them all on the field at the same time. Those kids should be looked at as potential O-linemen.  In three years they can be big enough to get on the field, start for 2 years and we will have more athletic kids who usually have good feet and are quicker.  Over the years we have had a number of players who changed positions spring ball their freshman year and excelled at their new positions in 2-3 years. RSF, FR and playing time as Soph, start as Jr.  At FCS level all teams have to think outside the box.  Recruiting takes a lot of hard work but also luck and then an analysis as to where to play the kid and how best to develop them.  I think that is an area we can improve upon.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

is the spring game an actual game or more of a glorified practice?  Trying to figure out if I should go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Won't be able to attend (supposed to get 12-20 inches of snow here :() but I hope I am able to figure out a way to watch. Interested to see Ketteringham and Boltmann. Maybe this is just me but I am not as excited about Zimmerman. He showed he can be a capable backup last year, something we have clearly been missing since Hanson and Hendrickson days, but I didn't see a QB that is going to lead us to much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Won't be able to attend (supposed to get 12-20 inches of snow here :() but I hope I am able to figure out a way to watch. Interested to see Ketteringham and Boltmann. Maybe this is just me but I am not as excited about Zimmerman. He showed he can be a capable backup last year, something we have clearly been missing since Hanson and Hendrickson days, but I didn't see a QB that is going to lead us to much.

I liked zimm.  Thought he easily ha'd 5 of the seasons top 10 passes in the limited time he played.  More concerned about Rudy's ability to pick the best of the three QBs...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sioux95 said:

I liked zimm.  Thought he easily ha'd 5 of the seasons top 10 passes in the limited time he played.  More concerned about Rudy's ability to pick the best of the three QBs...

I won't argue that, I also didn't think Studs was much more than a backup.... his arm talent wasn't great, it was his mobility that helped him obviously.

From what I have watched of Ketteringham I think he can be an instant difference maker. (I am no football genius so take it with a grain of salt)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sioux24/7 said:

Maybe this is just me but I am not as excited about Zimmerman. He showed he can be a capable backup last year, something we have clearly been missing since Hanson and Hendrickson days, but I didn't see a QB that is going to lead us to much.

This is where I'm at as well. I saw a few nice throws but some questionable decision making and poor throws as well. Not saying with more time, he can't improve, but I think Ketteringham has more to offer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Smoggy said:

is the spring game an actual game or more of a glorified practice?  Trying to figure out if I should go.

 

2 hours ago, Smoggy said:

is the spring game an actual game or more of a glorified practice?  Trying to figure out if I should go.

A very scripted/controlled scrimmage, with the younger guys seeing more of the action.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ND1 said:

 

A very scripted/controlled scrimmage, with the younger guys seeing more of the action.  

Good, I am looking forward to seeing some of the younger guys. I also want to see the QB's throwing accuracy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ketteringham has to be the guy. He looks the part. He has past FCS experience as a starting QB. He has the strongest arm. 

Zimmerman demonstrated he can be a capable back-up last season; I like him for that spot.

Boltmann is quite limited on size. He can definitely move, but as we saw with Studsrud, that doesn't necessarily translate into great QB play. I think he will be 3rd string in 2018 and spend more time getting stronger and learning. 

Way too early QB depth chart: 

1) Ketteringham 

2) Zimmerman 

3) Boltmann

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×