SiouxSports.com Forum

Downtown Grand Forks

Cratter

With the new higher sales tax, Grand Forks can spend more money on things like this: ;)

It's called the "Downtown Master Plan."  City leaders voted Feb. 5 to begin seeking a firm to draw it up, and once it's finished, it will have suggestions for pedestrian and bike flow, downtown "parks and open space." They're apparently ready to spend six figures on a consultant's help.

and then probably ignore the master plan when a private developer wants to build a condo instead:

Leaders from the city took a 2015 trip to Fort Collins, Colo., to explore ways to make Grand Forks more "vibrant"—drawing inspiration from public art, the city's farmers market and more. 

The earliest moves the city made in its "vibrancy initiative," which culminated in volunteer committees, community brainstorming and big ideas about the future of local public art and Grand Forks' downtown. One such committee delivered a "vibrancy report" built around several big ideas, like "create bold public spaces," "improve access to and around downtown" and "animate street life."

The moral of the story is how do we make downtown more hip:

They're touting their support for Gov. Doug Burgum's own vision for hipper, more exciting Main Streets around the state.

....which sees hip downtown areas as magnets for talented young workers and a solution to the state's worker shortage.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/government-and-politics/4406041-grand-forks-new-plan-key-downtowns-future-has-been-long-time

what are the odd that this "consultant" is directly or indirectly related to someone down at city hall...seems kind of a steep price tag to come up with a plan or idea (especially since its not binding)?

couldn't be just as easy as....someone own a downtown lot/space...person either wants to sit on it, develop it, or sell...then that person comes up a with plant to develop it...that person gets the permits and whatnot and that person builds on it...regardless of what someone else is doing three blocks over with their plot of land?

When the water plant is demolished, there is no reason that a ten story condo doesn’t go up in its place.  Put a new library near there, with external balconies overlooking the Greenway.  Think much of 3rd street could see development, as shown by the apartments replacing the old Simonsons Lumber Yard.  The St Anne’s area / Gateway should see some high rises too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Grand Forks is going to make it harder to drive downtown.

Am I missing a something? What problem are they trying to solve?

I had no idea there was a walking downtown problem for the few people who do.

Well maybe it wasn't much of a problem, but the cool kids are doing it:

This is sort of becoming the state and national trend for a reason," City Council member Crystal Schneider said. "I think a lot of the focus now is ... to make downtown, more pedestrian-friendly, more walkable, more vibrant, and adding the bump-outs does exactly those things."

The bump-outs narrow intersections so much that many downtown right-turn lanes along DeMers Avenue will be eliminated.

Backup traffic downtown by eliminating right hand turn lanes so pedestrian traffic is safer on foot.

Oh wait never-mind. It's not about safety, but downtown "Vibrancy." 

I had no idea it was this easy for the city to pull in $6.5 million is state, federal, and local funds for a more Vibrant Walking Experience.

Surely a new 42nd Overpass and South End Bridge will be announced any day now. 

On 2/20/2018 at 3:54 PM, Cratter said:

They're touting their support for Gov. Doug Burgum's own vision for hipper, more exciting Main Streets around the state.

....which sees hip downtown areas as magnets for talented young workers and a solution to the state's worker shortage.

Thanks for increasing my commute time Doug.

11 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Backup traffic downtown by eliminating right hand turn lanes so pedestrian traffic is safer on foot.

I had no idea it was this easy for the city to pull in $6.5 million is state, federal, and local funds for a more Vibrant Walking Experience.

I agree somewhat, but the turn lanes are mostly worthless anyway due to street parking. Finding a way to divert large vehicle traffic would be a better way to spend money, though that likely involves a south end bridge and help from Minnesota among other entities.

21 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I agree somewhat, but the turn lanes are mostly worthless anyway due to street parking. Finding a way to divert large vehicle traffic would be a better way to spend money, though that likely involves a south end bridge and help from Minnesota among other entities.

My inner "Moser" would say "Fargo doesn't seem to have any problems building new bridges."

Grand Forks has been trying to build a south end bridge for 54 years!

Funny how when asked why Grand Forks doesn't have a south end bridge. One of the reason is money.

Part of the construction holdup, Haugen said, is funding. A new bridge would cost more than $20 million, and the MPO is juggling not only the needs of existing infrastructure but also a long list of important projects that take precedence -- such as rebuilding the Washington Street underpass.

Fast forward a few month, and $7 million (1/3 cost of said bridge) was found for a "problem" no one in Grand Forks knew existed. We should never expect to hear the Metro Planning Organization mention the word "funding" for a bridge ever again.

I guess I've never really seen the need for a south-end bridge.  Wouldn't it just be a bridge to nowhere, as there's nothing developed on the Minnesota side?  Would it just be a truck bypass?  My first priority would be a 42nd St under/overpass at the railroad.

22 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

If there are traffic issues, people won't go downtown.  Makes a lot of sense. 

7 minutes ago, tnt said:

If there are traffic issues, people won't go downtown.  Makes a lot of sense. 

That's really the point of it all. "Cool Hip Cities" (aka Liberal Car Hating) don't want vehicles downtown. They want walkers and bicycles. 

Curb extensions are used to discourage the use of automobiles by reducing the number of available lanes.

42 minutes ago, Cratter said:

This is actually a good thing. If you want GF to grow and become a better city it starts with a better downtown. Walkability is the key.

15 minutes ago, Cratter said:

My inner "Moser" would say "Fargo doesn't seem to have any problems building new bridges."

Grand Forks has been trying to build a south end bridge for 54 years!

Funny how when asked why Grand Forks doesn't have a south end bridge. One of the reason is money.

Fast forward a few month, and $7 million (1/3 cost of said bridge) was found for a "problem" no one in Grand Forks knew existed. We should never expect to hear the Metro Planning Organization mention the word "funding" for a bridge ever again.

Was the toll bridge the last new one that was built? That turned out to be quite a mess.

You're not comparing apples to apples on the projects due to what is and isn't eligible for different funding sources.

7 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I would imagine that this makes it hell of a lot harder, and more expensive, to clear snow.

Ding-ding-ding! 

Look at the extensions in downtown Fargo -- whacked by plow blades and needing repair.

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

This is actually a good thing. If you want GF to grow and become a better city it starts with a better downtown. Walkability is the key.

Yes, now all we need is for someone on the council (or the "vibrancy" gang) to create a weather machine that can eliminate the months of late Nov/Dec through mid March so those of us in mainstream society that don't like walking/biking in Sub-Zero temps will actually use the new walk/bike friendly downtown.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Yes, now all we need is for someone on the council (or the "vibrancy" gang) to create a weather machine that can eliminate the months of late Nov/Dec through mid March so those of us in mainstream society that don't like walking/biking in Sub-Zero temps will actually use the new walk/bike friendly downtown.

One word:  DOME

image.png.8d443a6d507a8d1301c874dfe047ddb7.png

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheFlop said:

Works pretty well in Fargo.

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Works pretty well in Fargo.

Because if Fargo does it Grand Forks needs to do it too.  People live in different towns for reasons.  Many people choose to live in Grand Forks because it isn't Minneapolis or Fargo.