SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 attendance

F'n Hawks

Majority of attendance is based on wins and loses. Changes made for tailgating and in-game entertainment also make a difference, although to a much lesser degree. 

Attendance to start 2017 season was great due to work done during 2016 season. 

What transpired during 2017 will undoubtedly hurt 2018's season attendance. Unexpected wins (Washington, Sam Houston, Montana) and eventually a postseason appearance are absolutely needed if UND wants to reach 10,000 on a consistent basis.

This attendance situation is just one reason why 2017 was such a disappointment. Bubba needs to be held accountable like everyother DI head coach in America.

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Majority of attendance is based on wins and loses. Changes made for tailgating and in-game entertainment also make a difference, although to a much lesser degree. 

Attendance to start 2017 season was great due to work done during 2016 season. 

What transpired during 2017 will undoubtedly hurt 2018's season attendance. Unexpected wins (Washington, Sam Houston, Montana) and eventually a postseason appearance are absolutely needed if UND wants to reach 10,000 on a consistent basis.

This attendance situation is just one reason why 2017 was such a disappointment. Bubba needs to be held accountable like everyother DI head coach in America.

Technically, the majority of attendance is going to be there regardless.  UND draws 7k - 8k with bottom of the barrel teams.  Bandwagon fans can only reach about 5k before the stadium sells out.   I agree with your sentiment, though.  I would say the number 1 factor of increased attendance beyond 7k - 8k baseline is wins.  

Sorry for the nitpicking  :(

15 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Technically, the majority of attendance is going to be there regardless.  UND draws 7k - 8k with bottom of the barrel teams.  Bandwagon fans can only reach about 5k before the stadium sells out.   I agree with your sentiment, though.  I would say the number 1 factor of increased attendance beyond 7k - 8k baseline is wins.  

Sorry for the nitpicking  :(

Let me clarify: majority of attendance fluctuation is based on wins and loses. 

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Let me clarify: majority of attendance fluctuation is based on wins and loses. 

Totally agree - After the core of about 6000, the rest is subject to performance maybe more so than most because when the Offense isn't clicking it is absolutely painful to watch.  There is a big difference in watchability between a team that constantly goes for it and sometimes falls short and our team when we are floundering.  Bubba worked his tail off to improve the attendance and game day experience, but neglected to think of how fans react to what he put on the field last year.  After the tailgating etc. it comes down to what we are seeing on the field.  A make or break year for our football program.  

I’m planning on coming up for the 1st game in August. Want to see a game live and I don’t have a rabbit foot but still would like to see a win. Big or small a win is a win. Do hotel reservations have be made really early? Do all you regular bloggers sit together as it w/be nice to meet some of you face to face? Maybe you tailgate together, huh?

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

Attendance will be up again this year.  

Didn't you hear?  We are joining the MVFC in the next decade.  Better get your season tickets now, because they will be all gone once SDSU is an annual opponent again...................

I've heard NDSU fans tell me for the last two years they were going to buy UND season tickets so they had tickets when NDSU plays us....I've always said go ahead, support our program....:D

7 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

Attendance will be up again this year.  

Didn't you hear?  We are joining the MVFC in the next decade.  Better get your season tickets now, because they will be all gone once SDSU is an annual opponent again...................

We know you are devastated about leaving the Big Sky, but I am sure with NDSU, USD, SDSU and UNI coming to town it will raise attendance compared to the capacity crowds of Idaho State, Sac State and UC Davis. 

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

at the Hawks' Nest.

Will the name always be the Alerus or can UND buy the naming rights and call it the Hawks Nest? Or call it the Hawks Nest at the Alerus Center. I remember a naming contest for the dome which Aurora won but I guess money talks. I submitted the Sioux-per Dome, with that spelling for the contest. 

24 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Will the name always be the Alerus or can UND buy the naming rights and call it the Hawks Nest? Or call it the Hawks Nest at the Alerus Center. I remember a naming contest for the dome which Aurora won but I guess money talks. I submitted the Sioux-per Dome, with that spelling for the contest. 

UND is not going to pony up hundreds of thousands a year for naming rights to a city owned building.  Especially given the financial climate right now at UND.  

6 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

UND is not going to pony up hundreds of thousands a year for naming rights to a city owned building.  Especially given the financial climate right now at UND.  

Borrow from Barry’s salary. ;)

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

Will the name always be the Alerus or can UND buy the naming rights and call it the Hawks Nest? Or call it the Hawks Nest at the Alerus Center. 

Um ... etymology lesson time. 

According to the folks at Alerus Financial, "Alerus" derives from the Latin word "alera" which means "to take flight".

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Um ... etymology lesson time. 

According to the folks at Alerus Financial, "Alerus" derives from the Latin word "alera" which means "to take flight".

Hopefully our wins can take flight.