SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Candidate for UCF President's Job

fightingsioux4life

21 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Kennedy gets 2 years with a mid-year evaluation. Looks like he's good to go, thinking this should be good for the U unless of course he looks for greener pastures?

There will be that concern, but they hired him knowing that this could happen and extended him knowing it could still happen* which is why I thought it hypocritical of some from campus to complain about that (especially those on the hiring committee). 

*Speaking from a GF Herald quote from one member stating that Kennedy might be a 3-5 year president and a read between the lines quote from my late advisor to me when we discuss this while he was on the committee a few years back (he was his 2nd choice behind the guy from BSU). 

Like I said, he could turn UND into a nationally acclaimed school, athletics putting up conference and national title banners up like crazy, cure cancer, save the whales, and people will still call him the worst president ever because he didn't bring back MT, cut Women's Hockey, he demolished buildings instead of just letting them stand here and fall down like some universities do. etc. etc. etc.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

There will be that concern, but they hired him knowing that this could happen and extended him knowing it could still happen* which is why I thought it hypocritical of some from campus to complain about that (especially those on the hiring committee). 

*Speaking from a GF Herald quote from one member stating that Kennedy might be a 3-5 year president and a read between the lines quote from my late advisor to me when we discuss this while he was on the committee a few years back (he was his 2nd choice behind the guy from BSU). 

Like I said, he could turn UND into a nationally acclaimed school, athletics putting up conference and national title banners up like crazy, cure cancer, save the whales, and people will still call him the worst president ever because he didn't bring back MT, cut Women's Hockey, he demolished buildings instead of just letting them stand here and fall down like some universities do. etc. etc. etc.

I've heard rumors that this might be coming back...

I think his Strategic Plan is rock solid and a significant paradigm shift for the University...The fact he hasn't communicated it effectively and brought people on board seems like the negatives here...many people are scared of the changes on campus and most of these fears could be gone if someone did a good job of explaining the why's and how's of the changes.  Additionally, ND culture finds it repulsive to be a job hopper and his recent foray into interviewing for a "bigger' school hasn't helped him in the Trust department as well.  Many people are leaving the University without positive things to say about it (e.g.  Maybe they needed to go?? Who knows), but an even better indicator is the amount of UND alums I talk to that aren't interested in sending their kids here given the current operations of the University which get played out negatively quite a bit in the Herald.

Hopefully he will remain for at least 5 years to give his strategic plan a chance at success, but if not we will be back to square one again...

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, BobIwabuchiFan said:

which get played out negatively quite a bit in the Herald.

You mean things like the former editor writing an opinion piece on how the SBoHE has a big decision on the fate of Kennedy and how they might not renew his contract only to watch them do so unanimously a week later? I guess I didn't manage a good-sized business for a Fortune 500 company for over 30 years, but seems like he was just a bit off his mark on that one...

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, John W. said:

Kennedy's vote was unanimous...vote for chair of NDUS was not......anti-Kennedy  GF Herald made  a big deal of the mid evaluation....Herald a perfect example why 'press' held in low regard....excessive opinionization in hard news stories...

Not to turn this into a political debate, so please don't take it that direction, but given Kennedy's political affiliation and the way the media in this country (even local) seems to typically lean, it really is no surprise.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, northernraider said:

Ya I'm a UND alum and Grand Forks resident and had no problem with Kennedy applying at UCF. Who would not jump at the chance to double their salary? If he would have applied for anything less then President at a UCF type of school, then I would have raised an eyebrow. 

I feel Kennedy is doing the right thing. Campus is looking smaller, but that is a lot of opportunity for the future. Glad to see Ray Richard's is finally being handled, sorta. Also like his university village vision. Always felt there was a disconnect between the university and surrounding neighborhood. There is a lack of college related stuff around campus. No coffee shops, no grocery stores, no restaurants besides the red pepper. Nothing that screams "university area" besides the actual university. Go to Madison or UofM Twin Cities or even NDSU and how the neighborhood and university is linked together.

Those who say they wouldn't at least look into it are lying.

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

They really do, but they are going to have to deal with him for another two years, at least. 

Something doesn't smell right with the timing of this whole thing. 

After all the craziness of the past couple of years, I don't disagree. However, is it such a stretch to think that this could have happened? Maybe Kennedy really is a POS? lol.

We seem to always assume the conspiracy, around here.

1 hour ago, Teeder11 said:

I sense Gjovig's fingerprints all over this one. He's grinding a lot of axes behind the scenes, I'm hearing.

Agreed.  The firing and then failing on the Campbell campaign hasn't been good for that ego....

6 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Agreed. The status quo was around for so long that people are absolutely frightened by the change and adding in budget cuts on top of it adds to that. Fact is, the status quo needed to change and it is. Someone actually came in and made some hard decisions that have been kicked down the road for too long. Some of them were forced (budget cuts), some of them were unpopular and it is possible that some of them might end up not being the right thing, but something needed to be done to get UND back on track. At least there is now a public vision to what the school is striving for and the leadership is embracing it.

UND has too many great programs and offerings to have gone so long without an identity.  

I enjoy the current leadership has a vision 

• Upvote 1