SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Candidate for UCF President's Job

fightingsioux4life

11 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

It's only one data point, but Totino-Grace Class of 2017 sent about 30 kids to NDSU, 5 to UND.  Not an underperforming school by any measure.   This is out of a class of about 200.  Maybe they were all football fans?  

Cherry-pick much? You haven't even made the case that marketing by EITHER University at this particular HS had any effect whatsoever.

2 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

And a meaningless one at that. Yet you chose to take a shot at me.

Run along now, and come back to the grown up table if you want to have a serious discussion, preferably with evidence or a shred of logic or sound reasoning.

What is this supposed "academic quality initiative"?  

https://www.ndsu.edu/admission/admission_information/requirements/

http://und.edu/admissions/undergraduate/apply/

What am I missing?  

1 minute ago, Shawn-O said:

What is this supposed "academic quality initiative"?  

https://www.ndsu.edu/admission/admission_information/requirements/

http://und.edu/admissions/undergraduate/apply/

What am I missing?  

Don't know. It was suggested by another poster that UND was willing to sacrifice numbers for academic credentials.

Better question for you is, do you expect that there ought to be a 1:1 ratio between the number of Twin Cities kids coming to UND and NDSU?

And if so, is it your contention that any deviation from your expected 1:1 ratio is attributable, at least in part, to the relative effort and/or expenditures made by the schools in marketing?

And if so, would you expect that a 1:1 ratio could be achieved solely by the lower quantity school increasing its marketing efforts and expenditures?

The discussion thus far, and that I have consistently challenged, is that UND is lagging behind NDSU in Twin Cities enrollment because of a lack of, or cut in, direct marketing efforts under one or more administrations.  I just want someone to come forward and substantiate the claim.

I'm not saying there isn't a discussion to be had, and that an extrapolation of your data couldn't bolster a case for one or the other. However, a single year's enrollment figures from one high school simply isn't persuasive.

12 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Don't know. It was suggested by another poster that UND was willing to sacrifice numbers for academic credentials.

Better question for you is, do you expect that there ought to be a 1:1 ratio between the number of Twin Cities kids coming to UND and NDSU?

And if so, is it your contention that any deviation from your expected 1:1 ratio is attributable, at least in part, to the relative effort and/or expenditures made by the schools in marketing?

And if so, would you expect that a 1:1 ratio could be achieved solely by the lower quantity school increasing its marketing efforts and expenditures?

The discussion thus far, and that I have consistently challenged, is that UND is lagging behind NDSU in Twin Cities enrollment because of a lack of, or cut in, direct marketing efforts under one or more administrations.  I just want someone to come forward and substantiate the claim.

I'm not saying there isn't a discussion to be had, and that an extrapolation of your data couldn't bolster a case for one or the other. However, a single year's enrollment figures from one high school simply isn't persuasive.

I would be interested in a 15-year trend between the schools of new freshman on-campus enrollment, by high school, by major (particularly overlapping programs).  I don't have the ratios, but I would hope the trend would be stable.  I don't think it is.  I think UND has lost share.  This is based on conversations and intuition, as I don't have have access to the data and don't know anyone who does.   And if lost share is true, is it attributable to marketing, the appeal of their respective locations, efficient use of social media?  Who knows?     

5 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

I would be interested in a 15-year trend between the schools of new freshman on-campus enrollment, by high school, by major (particularly overlapping programs).  I don't have the ratios, but I would hope the trend would be stable.  I don't think it is.  I think UND has lost share.  This is based on conversations and intuition, as I don't have have access to the data and don't know anyone who does.   And if lost share is true, is it attributable to marketing, the appeal of their respective locations, efficient use of social media?  Who knows?     

And that's the problem. Some people on here have shown themselves to be more than willing to indict one president or another -- or one marketing decision or another -- in the absence of meaningful facts and when, ultimately, the real answer eludes us all. But when pressed, or presented with an alternative explanation that is at least equally as plausible (e.g., geographic preference or NDSU's recent success in football), they get defensive.

I don't have the marketing budget for recruitment (good luck getting that), but I do have actual total enrollment numbers. I'm sure the breakdown on incoming freshman class is out there somewhere if someone really wants to get into the numbers. UND will obviously have a larger amount of students from outside the region due to aviation and online enrollment. 2011 was the furthest back NDSU has publicly available.

UND had an enrollment of 14,697 with 6,041 (41.1%) from ND and 5,038 (34.3%) from MN
NDSU had an enrollment of 14,399 with 6,676 (46.4%) from ND and 5,886 (40.9%) from MN

UND had an enrollment of 14,416 with 4,904 (34.0%) from ND and 4,859 (33.7%) from MN
NDSU had an enrollment of 14,358 with 6,314 (44.0%) from ND and 6,419 (44.7%) from MN

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

I don't have the marketing budget for recruitment (good luck getting that), but I do have actual total enrollment numbers. I'm sure the breakdown on incoming freshman class is out there somewhere if someone really wants to get into the numbers. UND will obviously have a larger amount of students from outside the region due to aviation and online enrollment. 2011 was the furthest back NDSU has publicly available.

UND had an enrollment of 14,697 with 6,041 (41.1%) from ND and 5,038 (34.3%) from MN
NDSU had an enrollment of 14,399 with 6,676 (46.4%) from ND and 5,886 (40.9%) from MN

UND had an enrollment of 14,416 with 4,904 (34.0%) from ND and 4,859 (33.7%) from MN
NDSU had an enrollment of 14,358 with 6,314 (44.0%) from ND and 6,419 (44.7%) from MN

Is there a cap on how many students get in? Not much change in 6 years.

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

I’ve read posts from guys from SU saying what the Fargo first people want. They want buts in the seats people kids spending money in the FM area. You write UND has larger number of online students.How many online students at UND now. NDSU has it right. The more kids you bring to your community the more likely they are to stay. The state high ed board is trying to make UND an online college. It’s true

5 hours ago, moser53 said:

Question about online University's. Are many private. Is there big mmoney to be made in this. If UND goes in that direction the state not the school would profit from that. Will there be less and less kids coming to GF to fuel our econommy. NDSU wants kids on cammpus in town spending $. 700 more freshman on campus at SU than UND this year. Like the commercial on TV says. You see it don't you.

Source, please.  

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Source, please.  

When the Ralph Engelstad Arean in handed over the money made there will go straight to the State Bank.

I’ve also been asking about the State Mill and if it taxed like any other business.

4 minutes ago, moser53 said:

When the Ralph Engelstad Arean in handed over the money made there will go straight to the State Bank.

I’ve also been asking about the State Mill and if it taxed like any other business.

UND has accounts with the Bank of North Dakota, but its money is separate from the rest of the state money.  They aren't even on the same accounting system.

4 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

UND has accounts with the Bank of North Dakota, but its money is separate from the rest of the state money.  They aren't even on the same accounting system.

OK  how do you think Minnesota colleges bank. How much business does the State Bank take from the private sector in ND?

3 minutes ago, moser53 said:

OK  how do you think Minnesota colleges bank. How much business does the State Bank take from the private sector in ND?

I assume they use a non-state-owned bank. 

Bank of North Dakota has over $7 billion in assets, but I guess I don't sympathize with private banks being unable to profit off the taxpayers.  Partnering with the Bank of North Dakota also allows the smaller private banks in the state to take on loans/projects that would otherwise go to big out-of-state banks.

30 minutes ago, moser53 said:

Can you read?   

On 3/16/2018 at 10:38 AM, UND1981 said:

With 20/20 hindsight, Steven Shirley would have been the better choice IMO as UND president.   Less experience and not a politician like Kennedy, but a guy that wants to stay in ND. 

I think a lot of people on campus are thinking the same exact thing. 

9 minutes ago, moser53 said:

I may be austic. I truly believe what I am doing is the right thing.

No, you're < bleeping > about a problem you perceive but without (a) listening to determine if your perception is reality, and (b) bringing in a solution.

That second one is definitely not the way I was taught at UND: If I had a problem my advisers expected me to bring a proposed solution as well. 

Rather than bemoaning that "X is doing whatever" how about doing more and better than X.

Grousing about X here solves nothing. 

On 3/16/2018 at 10:38 AM, UND1981 said:

.... but a guy that wants to stay in ND. 

You say that like it's a good thing. I want a person who might still be looking for a little more. It keeps one sharp. 

I know of two recent guys who we all could recognize this was their last job before retirement; dare I say Bob Kelley and Brian Faison. 

Can someone please explain to me and I am sorry if it has been discussed ad nauseum but did Brian Faison get fired or did he truly want to retire? What did he do? Budget deficit issues with the athletic department? Mismanagement?

1 hour ago, moser53 said:

I’ve read posts from guys from SU saying what the Fargo first people want. They want buts in the seats people kids spending money in the FM area. You write UND has larger number of online students.How many online students at UND now. NDSU has it right. The more kids you bring to your community the more likely they are to stay. The state high ed board is trying to make UND an online college. It’s true

Just because a student is online does not mean they are not on campus. 

16 minutes ago, crb1 said:

Can someone please explain to me and I am sorry if it has been discussed ad nauseum but did Brian Faison get fired or did he truly want to retire? What did he do? Budget deficit issues with the athletic department? Mismanagement?

Anything besides him choosing to retire is speculation.   My guess is Kennedy talked to him and it was a mutual decision.

It wasnt really anything he did "wrong".  Just more of time for new blood type of thing.  New preseident, new conference, faison was old,  is time for a new era.