SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Candidate for UCF President's Job

fightingsioux4life

7 hours ago, John W. said:

Two items...1)quality over quantity....UND increased it's entrance /academic standards recently...NDSU  did jot

UND and NDSU have identical freshman admission standards.

https://www.ndsu.edu/admission/admission_information/requirements/

http://und.edu/admissions/undergraduate/apply/

Minimum: 2.75 high school GPA with a 22 ACT and required core high school courses are the same. 

5 hours ago, talksalot83 said:

UND and NDSU have identical freshman admission standards.

https://www.ndsu.edu/admission/admission_information/requirements/

http://und.edu/admissions/undergraduate/apply/

Minimum: 2.75 high school GPA with a 22 ACT and required core high school courses are the same. 

13 hours ago, Cratter said:

If you include just full time students,

NDSU: 11,768

UND: 10,275

with part timers added in UND has about 50 more than NDSU.

NDSU had nearly 700 more beginning full time freshman than UND this year.

I think UND use to be the larger school by 1,500- 2,000 or so students "back in the day"?

If NDSU has about 700 more full time freshman, I'd consider that a concern? What will a few years of this do? We need bodies on campus.

If Moser's theory (UND losing political support) has no affect on this, then what is causing this?

21 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

If NDSU has about 700 more full time freshman, I'd consider that a concern? What will a few years of this do? We need bodies on campus.

If Moser's theory (UND losing political support) has no affect on this, then what is causing this?

Speaking from a Twin Cites point of view they’ve kicked our ass on marketing now for a good decade and a half. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Fargo is much more attractive to young people than Grand Forks.  

19 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Fargo is much more attractive to young people than Grand Forks.  

FM chamber appreciates your continued support.This shell game has gone on now for almost 20 years.Joe Chapman was hired June 1999.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Shawn-O said:

Speaking from a Twin Cites point of view they’ve kicked our ass on marketing now for a good decade and a half. 

They want to put NDSU on the map nationally. When they compare the 2 cities you know what they think. As long as the current group of power brokers in ND are in power the more NDSU will grow. UND will become as they say  have more of an internet presence.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, moser53 said:

FM chamber appreciates your continued support.This shell game has gone on now for almost 20 years.Joe Chapman was hired June 1999.

So do you blame the current administration or the past administration?

It seems to me they do things to very different ways.  One is a decision maker regardless who it upsets and one was continually out of town unavailable for comment. 

22 minutes ago, moser53 said:

They want to put NDSU on the map nationally. When they compare the 2 cities you know what they think. As long as the current group of power brokers in ND are in power the more NDSU will grow. UND will become as they say  have more of an internet presence.

Just paid a visit to GF, one of my few visits since leaving in '73.  Campus is great, Grand Forks city not so much.  So many potholes on University Ave and downtown; almost not navigable.  South Washington one continuous eyesore.  Alerus and The Ralph are tremendous.  The weather and the city are recruiting disadvantages compared to some other NCHC towns, especially Denver.

6 minutes ago, dden3 said:

Just paid a visit to GF, one of my few visits since leaving in '73.  Campus is great, Grand Forks city not so much.  So many potholes on University Ave and downtown; almost not navigable.  South Washington one continuous eyesore.  Alerus and The Ralph are tremendous.  The weather and the city are recruiting disadvantages compared to some other NCHC towns, especially Denver.

Fargo has the same weather as GF and there doing fine, Jobs that pay even GF can boom.

8 hours ago, Shawn-O said:

Here we go again with the marketing discussion with no context.

Are you a Twin Cities parent of a school-age and college-bound student, or are you yourself a young adult? How do you interact with UND and NDSU ads? Drive-by? TV? Radio? Are you an alum or fan of either or both?

I am going to go out on a limb here.  UND and NDSU are known quantities in the Twin Cities.  Students looking to go to a relatively cheap, public, mid-size who want to get 'a few hours away from the nest' will always consider both, and TC children of ND alums/natives will always be in the mix.  I have no doubt that UND and NDSU get their due in HS counseling and college advising offices.  I suspect that TV and billboard ads have very little effect on the target demographic.

Football fan? NDSU is for you. Five rings in six years will do that.

Hockey fan? UND all the way baby.

Want the bigger city with better travel options (i.e., multiple airlines, two interstate highways), more restaurants, better shopping?  Boom, it's Fargo.

Interested in medicine, aviation, petroleum engineering?  UND.

Do we honestly believe that one school is a better strategic marketer than the other, or that there's that much of a return on the advertising investment?  Hell, the schools (and towns) freaking sell themselves.  What we has adults, alumni, and fans may perceive vis-a-vis marketing is almost meaningless.  Put yourself in the shoes of a HS junior in the Twin Cities and go from there.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, homer said:

So do you blame the current administration or the past administration?

It seems to me they do things to very different ways.  One is a decision maker regardless who it upsets and one was continually out of town unavailable for comment. 

Tom Clifford may have been the last UND president that was all UND that was the last administration I believe that couldn’t be pushed around. Apologies to Baker and Kupchella if that isn’t correct. 

Chapman and Brescani there job was easy. They had there back.

57 minutes ago, dden3 said:

That stretch of Washington has always been pretty brutal, unfortunately...

18 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Are you a Twin Cities parent of a school-age and college-bound student, or are you yourself a young adult? How do you interact with UND and NDSU ads? Drive-by? TV? Radio? Are you an alum or fan of either or both?

I am going to go out on a limb here.  UND and NDSU are known quantities in the Twin Cities.  Students looking to go to a relatively cheap, public, mid-size who want to get 'a few hours away from the nest' will always consider both, and TC children of ND alums/natives will always be in the mix.  I have no doubt that UND and NDSU get their due in HS counseling and college advising offices.  I suspect that TV and billboard ads have very little effect on the target demographic.

Want the bigger city with better travel options (i.e., multiple airlines, two interstate highways), more restaurants, better shopping?  Boom, it's Fargo.

Do we honestly believe that one school is a better strategic marketer than the other, or that there's that much of a return on the advertising investment?  Hell, the schools (and towns) freaking sell themselves.  What we has adults, alumni, and fans may perceive vis-a-vis marketing is almost meaningless.  Put yourself in the shoes of a HS junior in the Twin Cities and go from there.

Some fair points here.  Personally I'm basing my remark on general visibility via billboards, electronic media, etc.  There are some inherent advantages that Fargo has in terms of proximity and size.  I don't have the data in front of me but my gut says that we've lost a lot of Minnesota kids in the last 15-20 years where there are duplicate programs, business and nursing to name two.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

That stretch of Washington has always been pretty brutal, unfortunately...

Nothing wrong with South Washington from Burger King to the south. The older part of South Washington is old how much money would it take to more attractive?  Can it be widened?

9 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

Some fair points here.  Personally I'm basing my remark on general visibility via billboards, electronic media, etc.  There are some inherent advantages that Fargo has in terms of proximity and size.  I don't have the data in front of me but my gut says that we've lost a lot of Minnesota kids in the last 15-20 years where there are duplicate programs, business and nursing to name two.  

Read Joe Chapman’s Wikipedia page to see all he did at SU. One that caught my eye was a new Criminal Justice building. Doctoral programs went from 18 to 44. And much more like you say. 

I believe there will be a Medical and Law School in Fargo sooner than later. Aerospace at UND will that remain the one program that isn’t duplicated? Grand Forks needs a leader with deep pockets to remain relavant like Doug Bergum 

Just now, moser53 said:

Read Joe Chapman’s Wikipedia page to see all he did at SU. One that caught my eye was a new Criminal Justice building. Doctoral programs went from 18 to 44. And much more like you say. 

I believe there will be a Medical and Law School in Fargo sooner than later. Aerospace at UND will that remain the one program that isn’t duplicated? Grand Forks needs a leader with deep pockets to remain relavant like Doug Bergum 

No way this happens, unless it's UND-Fargo satellite campus.  I'll take that bet.  

55 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Here is my understanding: UND had cut back significantly if not completely (in certain areas) on sending recruiters to meet with guidance counselors and students in their schools in Minnesota, specifically the MSP area. I think if you look at the number of Minnesota students over the year, you'll see a correlation with dropping enrollment from there. That strategy on that has changed in the last 18 months.

31 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

With 20/20 hindsight, Steven Shirley would have been the better choice IMO as UND president.   Less experience and not a politician like Kennedy, but a guy that wants to stay in ND. 

Unless of course he got a job offer at one of the biggest Universities in the nation who offered to double or triple his pay (plus add in the no state income tax and much nicer weather).

5 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

No way this happens, unless it's UND-Fargo satellite campus.  I'll take that bet.  

High Ed board and Chapman told Kupchella to get the hell out of Fargo. Would they take a UND branch if it hurt GF maybe. They believe having there own in Fargo nobody would want to go to GF. If it was private future politicians. couldn’t touch it. 

23 minutes ago, moser53 said:

Concordia Aerospace  U Jamestown Fargo branch Aerospace .We can dream can’t we.Tri college or 4college.

Another med school in North Dakota would be one of those programs that "sells out instantly" as their are more students trying to get into Medical School around the country than there are open spots.

If NDSU pushed hard enough, I wouldn't be totally surprised if in 15-20 years they got one.

It would compliment their School of Nursing nicely.

NDSU: "Sanford gave us a very large donation to help us get this project up and running, with our massive population grow, growing need for medical care, and the lack of available slots at UND, now is the perfect time for a NDSU medical school...all we need now is a "little" money from the state."

1 hour ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Thank you for this.