SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Candidate for UCF President's Job

fightingsioux4life

The following announcement from President Mark Kennedy was just released on UND e-mail:

Having been nominated to consider the role of President of the University of Central Florida (UCF), I responded to the executive search firm’s inquiry and have been included in a group to proceed to initial interviews. This accelerated search process is scheduled to be concluded by March 9.

Both Debbie and I love the University of North Dakota and enjoy living in Grand Forks. We are not anxious to leave. I remain focused on my duties at UND and would very much look forward to continuing to work with the excellent team at UND to advance our One UND Strategic Plan if not selected by UCF.

Any thoughts? What are the odds that this actually happens?

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

The following announcement from President Mark Kennedy was just released on UND e-mail:

Any thoughts? What are the odds that this actually happens?

But but Kennedy is the worst thing to happen to UND in years!!!!

Anything is possible but I doubt he leaves.  Must be doing good work to be wanted.

There's a big difference between him actively looking for a new a job and a search firm reaching out, asking him to apply and him accepting that invitation. It sounds like it was the latter and I think he'd be crazy not too look at it if approached. The outgoing president, who had been there 26 years, was making over $500K/year. The fact that he made the top 8 says a lot about what the perception of him is. Kennedy had no choice but to send out an announcement as the 8 semifinalists were publicly announced today and it looks like he has pretty decent company on the finalist list:

• James Dean, Ph.D., former executive vice chancellor and provost, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
  • Kelvin Droegemeier, Ph.D., vice president for research, University of Oklahoma
  • Suresh Garimella, Ph.D., executive vice president for research and partnerships, Purdue University
  • Venu Govindaraju, Ph.D., vice president for research and economic development, University of Buffalo
  • Mark Kennedy, president, University of North Dakota
  • James Weyhenmeyer, Ph.D., professor and vice president of research and economic development, Georgia State University
  • Dale Whittaker, Ph.D., provost and executive vice president, University of Central Florida
  • Matthew Wilson, JD, president, University of Akron
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Would folks rather we have a president that no other university is interested in? 

Yeah I don't understand why anyone would be mad. UND isn't an apex predator for any position other than  the head coach of men's hockey. <-- ignoring the NHL here. 

One would think having a very large school interested in your president is a compliment to the job he I is doing.  I'd prefer to be seen as a stepping stone rather than a last resort. Much more likely to attract good talent with that attitude. 

UCF publicly releasing the names of their 8 semi-finalists and Kennedy having to put out an announcement is also a great example of why ND took a positive step and changed the law so that only the top 3 finalists have to be publicly released for certain positions. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Yeah I don't understand why anyone would be mad. UND isn't an apex predator for any position other than  the head coach of men's hockey. <-- ignoring the NHL here. 

One would think having a very large school interested in your president is a compliment to the job he is doing.  I'd prefer to be seen as a stepping stone rather than a last resort. Much more likely to attract good talent with that attitude. 

..........and what is that? He hasn't been around long enough to establish anything of significance IMO and his "body of work" in education in general doesn't scream anything special at this stage either.