SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. CC Tigers - FRIDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

If Berry is so big on culture and grit how come we immediately put our thumbs up our butts, stand around, and puke up a goal usually within 2 minutes of scoring a tying or go ahead goal and gain some momentum? Time after time after time.  What kind of intensity is that (especially with making the tournament on the line).  Berry better start getting some motivated talent in and right soon.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Listen to the players talk sometime. If you don't think Berry was the main recruiter or heavily involved in a lot of them, pull your head out of the sand. Not saying Hak wasn't involved but giving Berry no credit is ridiculous. 

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/3747389-und-mens-hockey-brad-berry-takes-reins

Berry was the head recruiter and had been for years.  But Hak was still the face of the program.  I guess what I’m tracking is how that has, or will, change things.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Irish said:

If Berry is so big on culture and grit how come we immediately put our thumbs up our butts, stand around, and puke up a goal usually within 2 minutes of scoring a tying or go ahead goal and gain some momentum? Time after time after time.  What kind of intensity is that (especially with making the tournament on the line).  Berry better start getting some motivated talent in and right soon.

TH and Ollie said the same thing on radio last night..........these types of games are a recurring theme. Bad goals, bad penalties, bad PP, unable to sustain momentum after a goal.........and no offense from the forward group.

Now UND will will probably win 5-1 tonight and some will chime in on the offensive juggernaut that this team is like after UNO Saturday but stats and the eyeball test tell a different story.

2 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

TH and Ollie said the same thing on radio last night..........these types of games are a recurring theme. Bad goals, bad penalties, bad PP, unable to sustain momentum after a goal.........and no offense from the forward group.

Now UND will will probably win 5-1 tonight and some will chime in on the offensive juggernaut that this team is like after UNO Saturday but stats and the eyeball test tell a different story.

Agreed, I’m tracking the team over the course of the season (in chunks per se) rather than game to game. Right now it’s as ugly as I can remember.  Even if they do win tonight there’s still serious concern.  I mean, they have to win tonight, that’s expected.

11 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I’m more interested in the effort and coaching right now.  Many people are locked in on recruiting (and I am too).  But to be honest, running through CC’s team....they really don’t have one player outside of Bergh who was even remotely desirable.  By any top notch school.  That game last night had more to do with preparation and execution.

Leclerc would win the Hobey if CC just played UND all year too so there's that.

• Upvote 4

I don't know how much it showed on T.V., but at the game, I've never seen so many pucks just up and fall off of sticks in open ice.  The mishandling of pucks was crazy.  Choking the stick to death.  One other thing that I've noticed really since the start of the Hak era, is that its seems like every team we play, when they get possession in their own end, it's one pass, out of the zone, and off to the races.  And for us, we are happy to just chip it off the glass and out.  Drives me nuts.

• Upvote 2

I'm as frustrated as anyone over this team of UND Fighting Hawk hockey.....but my thought is that it is a 'karma' thing (I'm a child of the 60's)...for the minority that still insists on using the "Fighting Suesies" term.....'just stop that' and the season may turn for the better!!!!!!

• Downvote 9

If most of these players were working for most companies they would have gotten their walking papers for poor performance. But let’s look at these players, Adams, Mismash etc all we’re touted recruits out of juniors and now all of a sudden they all all duds? Hmmmm what is the theme here? Just keep switching lines , putting 19 on Simos line wtf. Before Gardner was hurt 22-14-19 were a dominant line so 22 comes back and put 25 on that line , makes no sense. 0-6 on the power play against a very poor PK that’s on Shaw. Berry better figure this out fast because an empty Ralph does not spell long term job security. In 2016 he had lots of players who could lead and hold other players accountable, Berry needs to coach not have a  kumbaya culture. We all could not believe Monty calling out his players but he seems to get results, be a head coach not their buddy.

4 hours ago, Sioux90 said:

Bad angle? He picked the corner with a wicked wrister. He wasn't challenged by Mismash and that makes it a difficult save. Maybe you need to watch the play again. Cam was pulled because the boys weren't helping their own goaltender.

You need to watch the play again without your green glasses on.  Even the die hard Cam holdouts on this board saw it for what it was.  For Cam they are all hard shots to stop now.....no angle shots from the goal line.....spin o rama shots from the top of the circle...and in general any shot above his waist.  

15 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

You need to watch the play again without your green glasses on.  Even the die hard Cam holdouts on this board saw it for what it was.  For Cam they are all hard shots to stop now.....no angle shots from the goal line.....spin o rama shots from the top of the circle...and in general any shot above his waist.  

Only saw the play twice on tv but it appeared to me that the UND defender was playing Conzo pretty soft, giving him lots of space when he entered the zone and finally shot the puck. But it also appeared that Johnson wasn’t very far out from his net or that he didn’t properly angle the shot/player as well. Thoughts? 

13 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Only saw the play twice on tv but it appeared to me that the UND defender was playing Conzo pretty soft, giving him lots of space when he entered the zone and finally shot the puck. But it also appeared that Johnson wasn’t very far out from his net or that he didn’t properly angle the shot/player as well. Thoughts? 

I think he thought the defender would actually, I don't know, defend? There's no reason that guy should have even got a shot off.

There is literally nothing more delaying that fighting back to tie it up and then giving up a goal the next shift. That needs to stop. Flat out must win tonight. Team still controls their own destiny, but running out of time. 

10 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

We had a forward playing D, but in that situation he wasn't going to get beat wide so he wasnt getting to the net.  Cam needs to read that and be ultra aggressive.  I didn't see any CC trailer or F2 coming in so no chance for a drop pass empty net goal.  IMHO Cam misread how aggressive he should have been in that instance or figured Mismash was going to get beat 1-1 so he played it passively. 

I'll die on the hill that it isn't completely a talent issue with this team, I'm not saying they should be a #1 seed, but we've seen this team be very, very good. They can and have played with the best teams in the country. I also don't think they are that far off from being a good team. Last night was a bad loss, but did anyone think CC was a much better team? 

With the ups and downs of this year, what I'm losing my mind over is special teams. If nothing else, when this team doesn't make the tournament for the first time in 16 years, you can circle that as the # 1 culprit. It's beyond pathetic, Shaw deserves nothing but blame. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

The only offense they have are shots from the perimeter, be it even strength or PP. You rarely see anything resembling how CC handled the puck from behind the net around front, across the crease and in the back door. There is no passing to an open guy, it's just put it on net and say a Hail Mary. 

For the talk about Berry recruits and Hakstol recruits here is what I found. Looking up when guys committed and when Hak left. Thome, Casey Johnson, Jones, Rieger, Smith, Hoff, and Kawaguchi committed after the coaching change. Looking at future recruits Keane and Senden both committed before the change. You can talk about how many are Berry recruits and how many are Hak but this is Berry's team. The only guys on the current team that played under Hak are the SRs so if there is anybody he didn't want he could've told the guy they were gonna go in a different direction after he took over as head coach. Somebody posted earlier Hak got out at almost the right time but this team may not look the same if Hak never leaves. Who knows what recruits he would've added to this group in the last couple years. 

I don't think Berry should be fired at all right now but I also think this team should be in a better place than it is right now. It isn't all about talent with team right now either. There is a lack of urgency and intensity throughout the team. Too many times guys look for somebody else to go make something happen and watch instead of getting after it and that is in all areas of the game.

1 hour ago, AJS said:

I'll die on the hill that it isn't completely a talent issue with this team, I'm not saying they should be a #1 seed, but we've seen this team be very, very good. They can and have played with the best teams in the country. I also don't think they are that far off from being a good team. Last night was a bad loss, but did anyone think CC was a much better team? 

With the ups and downs of this year, what I'm losing my mind over is special teams. If nothing else, when this team doesn't make the tournament for the first time in 16 years, you can circle that as the # 1 culprit. It's beyond pathetic, Shaw deserves nothing but blame. 

As I stated previously last in the NCHC in scoring offense. This team is talent poor overall at the forward spot. Half....7.....of the rostered forwards have not scored a single goal in the last 7 or more of the games they have played in. I'm all in favor of optimism until it completely overshadows reality.

37 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

For the talk about Berry recruits and Hakstol recruits here is what I found. Looking up when guys committed and when Hak left. Thome, Casey Johnson, Jones, Rieger, Smith, Hoff, and Kawaguchi committed after the coaching change. Looking at future recruits Keane and Senden both committed before the change. You can talk about how many are Berry recruits and how many are Hak but this is Berry's team. The only guys on the current team that played under Hak are the SRs so if there is anybody he didn't want he could've told the guy they were gonna go in a different direction after he took over as head coach. Somebody posted earlier Hak got out at almost the right time but this team may not look the same if Hak never leaves. Who knows what recruits he would've added to this group in the last couple years. 

I don't think Berry should be fired at all right now but I also think this team should be in a better place than it is right now. It isn't all about talent with team right now either. There is a lack of urgency and intensity throughout the team. Too many times guys look for somebody else to go make something happen and watch instead of getting after it and that is in all areas of the game.

I agree.  The one thing I think that’s missing are recruits we’ve missed on because of the Hak departure....which is almost impossible to know.  But at a high level, many of the recent high end recruits (from the US) are going elsewhere.  We have gotten some nice young Canadians but they are super young.  Worried about the next few years here.  Hopefully we get Rizzo to come but how things are going now I would be surprised to see him go elsewhere.