Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Longtime fan

2018 schedule /team

Recommended Posts

Looking ahead to next season there is much to like and to dislike. 

Likes

- RBs   Great talent if used right 

- DL   Great talent returning and a great freshman class last year 

- upgrades at ILB

- experience.   With the incredible amount of injuries, a ton of young guys were able to get valuable playing time at nearly every position.  In some incidence, the backups to backups had a chance to play. 

- as much as I liked Keaton , it will be nice to have a qb/qbs that are passing competent.  With greibel and cam available UND will also have some quick slot guys

Dislikes 

- Rudy is still employed at UND 

-OL needs to improve.  I wasn't as hard on them as some do to the fact opposing defenses knew rudys 3 plays and the fact that freshman littered the starting positions.  But  they definitely need to improve. They will still be young as potentially there could be zero seniors starting.  With the experience they got last year ....looking for better line control  

- special teams  - New kicker , new punter and new snapper.  Need to find punt/kick returners other than Santiago.  He needs to be heavily used offensively, unlike last year.  I believe cam could be that guy.   

 

- tougher schedule:

miss valley st -W

at wash - L

at Sam- tough call.....L

Idaho st- W

at N colo- W 

bye 

Montana ...hmmm  - L

at sac st - L

weber - L

at Idaho - L

port st - W

at N Zona  L 

4-7  

If Rudy was gone I could see 9-2.  He alone is worth 5 losses....IMO.    

The D will/should be light years better.  Overall they didn't lose much.  Cole would of typically been a huge loss but he played so little last year that UND had time to digest it. Again....the game time experience with the young guys last year at the safety position, hoping to see improvements in 18.   Very "green" last year, along with the ILB.  I believe the ILB crew will be dramatically better.  Donnell is a special player . Losing him was IMO the biggest lose in 17.   Evan , when he played, was getting more comfortable at covering.  Always had the speed ....now he seems to have found his coverage skills. He made a diffence in the secondary when not injured. If Deion is healthy .....I really like those two at cb   

 

 

Love bubba....but by being loyal to a fault and keeping Rudy ....his seat is now warm.  Prove me wrong Rudy  

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BisonCardinal said:

Is the offensive line coach to blame for any of the offensive line woes?

Partially, of course he's in charge of that group so he should take most of the burden, but..... Are we recruiting players that he can succeed with? As a leader you always need to put your subordinates in a position to achieve the goals you set out for them. We've gotten too many undersized players that end up not cutting it or switching positions. The blue chippers we do get are not showing up, leaving the program or coming with injuries that they never recover from. Offensive line I think is the toughest position to recruit for and UND has been striking out. Not sure who to blame for that. I think recruiting is the whole staff's responsibility not just one coach. Sure there is a recruiting coordinator and coaches have different areas but I really believe its a team effort for all of them to put together the best collection of players to make them a great team. 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blue chippers who do not show up are not blue chippers.... again culture.

i read info on these young men and things like multi-sport athletes and comments about furthering their education impressed me more than size, speed, and statistics.... we all have seen people excell where no one expected....

When doing a theatrical production, you can not teaching blocking when actors do not show up... I guess the same with players... motivation is as important, or more so, than skill...

GO SIOUX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UND-1 said:

4-7??  Yikes. 

Unless, behind the scenes, we find a screen game and get our best players on the field at the same time.  We should see more deep balls this year, too.  (not overly confident on these things)

On defense, either stop the run or have a respectable pass defense.  Another year of neither is not acceptable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thru winter workouts, Griebel has been working punt ret. (with Santiago..).... and Mikey has been working on holder duties as well. Agree with above posts that "up"-ing the screen game with personnel we have is wise..... and agree with Lontime fan on 1st 3 games ....but I think we win 7 of the last 8 and make the bracket... 

GO HAWKS !!!!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gfhockey said:

Bubba reassured us this year at long haul saloon changes will be made 

The first rule of GOBC is we don't talk about GOBC which is why minutes are not kept. Everyone needs plausible deniability. Please tell me you are using your burner phone or posting from the library.;)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

Looking ahead to next season there is much to like and to dislike. 

Likes

- RBs   Great talent if used right 

- DL   Great talent returning and a great freshman class last year 

- upgrades at ILB

- experience.   With the incredible amount of injuries, a ton of young guys were able to get valuable playing time at nearly every position.  In some incidence, the backups to backups had a chance to play. 

- as much as I liked Keaton , it will be nice to have a qb/qbs that are passing competent.  With greibel and cam available UND will also have some quick slot guys

Dislikes 

- Rudy is still employed at UND 

-OL needs to improve.  I wasn't as hard on them as some do to the fact opposing defenses knew rudys 3 plays and the fact that freshman littered the starting positions.  But  they definitely need to improve. They will still be young as potentially there could be zero seniors starting.  With the experience they got last year ....looking for better line control  

- special teams  - New kicker , new punter and new snapper.  Need to find punt/kick returners other than Santiago.  He needs to be heavily used offensively, unlike last year.  I believe cam could be that guy.   

 

- tougher schedule:

miss valley st -W

at wash - L

at Sam- tough call.....L

Idaho st- W

at N colo- W 

bye 

Montana ...hmmm  - L

at sac st - L

weber - L

at Idaho - L

port st - W

at N Zona  L 

4-7  

If Rudy was gone I could see 9-2.  He alone is worth 5 losses....IMO.    

The D will/should be light years better.  Overall they didn't lose much.  Cole would of typically been a huge loss but he played so little last year that UND had time to digest it. Again....the game time experience with the young guys last year at the safety position, hoping to see improvements in 18.   Very "green" last year, along with the ILB.  I believe the ILB crew will be dramatically better.  Donnell is a special player . Losing him was IMO the biggest lose in 17.   Evan , when he played, was getting more comfortable at covering.  Always had the speed ....now he seems to have found his coverage skills. He made a diffence in the secondary when not injured. If Deion is healthy .....I really like those two at cb   

 

 

Love bubba....but by being loyal to a fault and keeping Rudy ....his seat is now warm.  Prove me wrong Rudy  

 

Good post.  I think it comes down to OL and ILB.  If those two positions are substantially better, 4-7 is too low, I would say 7-9 wins and a tournament berth.  If one of those groups is better 5-6 wins.  If neither of those groups is better than there are several new posts about the new HC and his staff on this forum a year from now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2018 at 4:07 PM, petey23 said:

The first rule of GOBC is we don't talk about GOBC which is why minutes are not kept. Everyone needs plausible deniability. Please tell me you are using your burner phone or posting from the library.;)

And the second rule is your lips are sealed forever or your brain is wiped clean and you are dinged.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good posts. I would stick our DB’s in the group of Questions. Deion’s injury was a pretty devastating one. I am tempering my expectations on what he gives us next year. I am hoping for the best but trying to remain realistic. Our young guys struggled at times. But they were just that, young. And since opposing QB’s were not all that uncomfortable due to a lack of consistent pressure especially up the middle, they got repeatedly exposed. That being said, nothing solves coverage issues better than making a QB unable to throw on rythym and shortening the amount of time DB’s have to cover. So improved pressure is paramount.  Add the experience they got and an off-season in the weightroom and I am hopeful but guarded about the DB’s.  

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2018 at 6:30 AM, Longtime fan said:

miss valley st -W

at wash - L

at Sam- tough call.....L

Idaho st- W

at N colo- W 

bye 

Montana ...hmmm  - L

at sac st - L

weber - L

at Idaho - L

port st - W

at N Zona  L 

4-7

If this happens, we need a change at the top.

Chaves picked one heck of a time to take over this athletic department.

WBB on the rocks.

MBB on the rocks.

MH struggling for the second straight season.

FB on the verge of going backwards after some big steps forward.

I really hope this prediction is wrong.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

If this happens, we need a change at the top.

Chaves picked one heck of a time to take over this athletic department.

WBB on the rocks.

MBB on the rocks.

MH struggling for the second straight season.

FB on the verge of going backwards after some big steps forward.

I really hope this prediction is wrong.

Agree. We need a whole 180 on last years record. No conference title until 2020 so we have to get at least 8 wins to secure a playoff bid, 7 wins doesn't cut it anymore (remember 2015).

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know my rear has been chewed so bad in the last 2 days I should be wearing a size 3 jeans. I am sure coaches and players feel this way.... just a big, bad black hole.  Hopefully things will reverse taking even positive baby steps. Don’t know anything about B.B. but watching a hockey game before Christmas... the Sioux did not have that spark or drive. At least that is what I thought. FB needs to turn around but I think these some of recruits have been role models in some of their high schools and can be again....waiting for some positive juju juice!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2018 at 4:07 PM, petey23 said:

The first rule of GOBC is we don't talk about GOBC which is why minutes are not kept. Everyone needs plausible deniability. Please tell me you are using your burner phone or posting from the library.;)

Starbucks. ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2018 at 3:25 PM, Midwestern Hawk said:

Good post.  I think it comes down to OL and ILB.  If those two positions are substantially better, 4-7 is too low, I would say 7-9 wins and a tournament berth.  If one of those groups is better 5-6 wins.  If neither of those groups is better than there are several new posts about the new HC and his staff on this forum a year from now.

ILB will be WAY better this year.  We should actually have at least 4 guys that have the size needed to play at that position.  Last year most of the year we were playing with undersized guys that were young and inexperienced.  Even if both starters went down at ILB this year we would still be much better than last year.

If we go 4-7 Bubba's seat is not only hot...it's on fire.  Anything less than a winning record will be considered a failure.  We may start the year 1-2 and be behind the 8 ball right away but our defense should be much improved.  Our offense, we will see....as usual it will depend on the line but at least those young guys got some experience last year.  Hopefully a better deep passer along with some of the younger speed guys will help our offense click much better.  We should be in and have a chance to win every game this year, except for the Washington game (well hopefully we are in the game).  Whether or not we can control the clock make those key 3-4 plays each game that are needed remains to be seen, but the potential is there.  We will be back to being under the radar again this year, so hopefully we can surprise some teams, particularly Sam Houston right out of the gate.  

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

ILB will be WAY better this year.  We should actually have at least 4 guys that have the size needed to play at that position.  Last year most of the year we were playing with undersized guys that were young and inexperienced.  Even if both starters went down at ILB this year we would still be much better than last year.

If we go 4-7 Bubba's seat is not only hot...it's on fire.  Anything less than a winning record will be considered a failure.  We may start the year 1-2 and be behind the 8 ball right away but our defense should be much improved.  Our offense, we will see....as usual it will depend on the line but at least those young guys got some experience last year.  Hopefully a better deep passer along with some of the younger speed guys will help our offense click much better.  We should be in and have a chance to win every game this year, except for the Washington game (well hopefully we are in the game).  Whether or not we can control the clock make those key 3-4 plays each game that are needed remains to be seen, but the potential is there.  We will be back to being under the radar again this year, so hopefully we can surprise some teams, particularly Sam Houston right out of the gate.  

Anything less than one playoff win should be considered an out and out failure.    No way should 6-5 be considered a successful year, those days have passed.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TRex said:

Anything less than one playoff win should be considered an out and out failure.    No way should 6-5 be considered a successful year, those days have passed.

Totally agree, 6-5 next year by NO means will be considered a success.  It would be considered a big disappointment but Bubba probably doesn't lose his job, IMO.  But really it would depend on how those wins and losses happened.  If we get completely blown out in four FCS games and don't even look competitive, then maybe he does and probably should.   And yes, we need a playoff win very soon.  

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what kind of attendance would u of manitoba/winnipeg get if they played us in a exhibibtion game at the blue bombers stadium on a nice august night?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×