SiouxSports.com Forum

Alerus Center Events

Cratter

Not as big of a name/national brand, but Half Brothers Brewing and Brick and Barley are having Hairball perform for a free concert on 3rd street on May 5th.  

Add in Blues in the Red, Concerts in the Garden, Up North Ribfest, Alley Alive, and Greenway Takeover Festival, more bars downtown offering music and GF has quite a bit of entertainment/music options.  Entertainment options is one of the things I've always enjoyed and wanted to see more of in GF. Over the last few years this area has grown a bit more.  

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

Not as big of a name/national brand, but Half Brothers Brewing and Brick and Barley are having Hairball perform for a free concert on 3rd street on May 5th.  

I've always thought GF could use more of this. 

Lots of small towns have popular street dances, and Grand Forks could put on a hell of one if they wanted to. Close down third from Demers to University. Rope it off. Allow free roaming in between the bars and drinking outside, invite a loved regional band like Hairball and say screw the noise ordinance, and party til 1am!

Throw up the christmas lights that cross the streets downtown that are currently up.

Packed street crowded downtown for a block or two.

The optics could be great.

21 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Lots of small towns have popular street dances, and Grand Forks could put on a hell of one if they wanted to. Close down third from Demers to University. Rope it off. Allow free roaming in between the bars and drinking outside, invite a loved regional band like Hairball and say screw the noise ordinance, and party til 1am!

Throw up the christmas lights that cross the streets downtown that are currently up.

So something along these lines?  https://www.basilicablockparty.org/

Town Square does some of that already, but it is nice to change it up a bit.

45 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

So something along these lines?  https://www.basilicablockparty.org/

Town Square does some of that already, but it is nice to change it up a bit.

Town Square can be nice for the "family friendly." I like the idea of using the street and incorporating the bars. 

Event would have to be free though as buildings and bars would be blocked off to get into from the event.

5 hours ago, Cratter said:

IMO certain areas of 3rd should be pedestrian only. From the railroad tracks to Toasted Frog.

Well that picture brought back some memories! Got any interior pictures?

I think I was in there once or twice when I was 10 and that was about it, vaguely remember it.

The only time third street is busy enough to warrant it closing is Friday and Saturday nights.

• 3 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

Now it looks like Metallica is coming.  Glad to see they are making an effort to diversify the types of acts they are bringing in.  Now we just need the people to show up for these shows...

Oh..I will be there!  First concert was Metallica at the Hyslop almost 30 years ago!   Gonna be awesome with my son by my side!

Looks like GF got Metallica in on a Saturday night.  They are also playing Minneapolis on a Tuesday, Sioux Falls on a Tuesday, and Winnipeg on a Thursday.   Hope people show up for the non country shoes so we can continue to get those types of shows in GF.

a side note, the opening act for Metallica is comedian Jim Brewer and a DJ.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, dmksioux said:

Looks like GF got Metallica in on a Saturday night.  They are also playing Minneapolis on a Tuesday, Sioux Falls on a Tuesday, and Winnipeg on a Thursday.   Hope people show up for the non country shoes so we can continue to get those types of shows in GF.

a side note, the opening act for Metallica is comedian Jim Brewer and a DJ.

Yes, yes, a thousand times, yes.

Also, I love the MPLS - Lincoln - GF - Sioux Falls - Winnipeg tour routing.  Bouncing around the heartland like a pinball.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 4:21 PM, 1972 said:

Oh..I will be there!  First concert was Metallica at the Hyslop almost 30 years ago!   Gonna be awesome with my son by my side!

concerts I saw at the Hyslop.

Bon Jovi opening for RATT 

Otis Day and the Knights

• Upvote 1