SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Denver - FRIDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

5 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I didn’t see last night’s game but reading many of the posts here, I get the impression the sentiment of the group is that last night’s tie against the first place team felt more like a loss rather than a tie. Also, does tying DU help us in the PWR or is it a wash? 

The tie and other results moved us up one slot in pairwise.  Immediately after the tie we were down one to 13, after all results were in we were up to 11. So my answer is I don't know.

12 minutes ago, Cratter said:

I don't see UND passing the team currently with the best conference winning percentage (SCSU).

I think he was more saying that UMD could pass SCSU, preventing UND from traveling to Duluth for first round. 

UMD is on a roll, they could definitely pass both WMU and SCSU. 

College coaches are by definition students of their game and have a vast knowledge of what they are coaching.  However, it is somewhat common to get a bit of tunnel vision when it comes to their methods or schemes.  You saw it a bit with Hak and his "system".  You see it more with Rudolph (and by extension Bubba) with his offense.  The big question here is can and will Berry adjust his recruiting.   Watching the middle of the game was just painful - we couldn't get control of the puck in zone let alone generate a quality shot.  I know a couple of our top guys are sitting, but they are 9 and 5 goal guys, not Toews and Parise.  We need to be able to sell this program.  No way St. Clown and Duluth should have more talent than us.  

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I think she was more saying that UMD could pass SCSU, preventing UND from traveling to Duluth for first round. 

UMD is on a roll, they could definitely pass both WMU and SCSU. 

FYP :)

And yes, that was my point. SCSU is spiraling downward and I think UMD could pass them. 

47 minutes ago, sprig said:

Front page,  goon has it

http://thesportsdaily.com/goonsworld-blog/cole-smith-hit-on-adam-plant-video/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Looks bad from one angle. Rather innocent from another. Thinks he sits 2nite

I never feel bad for players who have their head down like that. Have to keep your head up and be aware of your surroundings at all times.

21 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I didn’t see last night’s game but reading many of the posts here, I get the impression the sentiment of the group is that last night’s tie against the first place team felt more like a loss rather than a tie. Also, does tying DU help us in the PWR or is it a wash? 

Depends who you talk to. Personally, I’m okay with the tie based on the lineup we put out, and the fact that we could have lost that game with the 5 minute major. But I’m clearly in the minority. *shrugs*

We still have a chance to win this series and the season series with DU. 

1 minute ago, siouxforce19 said:

Depends who you talk to. Personally, I’m okay with the tie based on the lineup we put out, and the fact that we could have lost that game with the 5 minute major. But I’m clearly in the minority. *shrugs*

We still have a chance to win this series and the season series with DU. 

Always feels like a loss when you jump out 2-0, then go into a shell and slowly piss it away.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, franchise said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Smith sits and wouldn't argue much, but I really doubt there was any intent there.

I tend to agree.  Smith needs to adjust quicker to a smaller player.  If they had been if similar build, it would have been a heck of a collision.  As it turned out, it was an ugly hit to the head.  Still think plant needs to seriously consider not playing anymore.  His future health is at a real risk at this point

8 minutes ago, franchise said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Smith sits and wouldn't argue much, but I really doubt there was any intent there.

It's official.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/hockey/4394709-nchc-suspends-und-forward-cole-smith-tonights-game-denver

UND did not have any healthy forwards out of the lineup Friday. Centers Rhett Gardner and Nick Jones were both out with injuries. If both Gardner and Jones are unable to go for tonight's series finale, UND will have to dress a defenseman at forward to fill Smith's spot.

Just what we needed, another hole at forward. :angry:

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, franchise said:

Always feels like a loss when you jump out 2-0, then go into a shell and slowly piss it away.

I understand that point of view, I just see it differently. Yeah that sucked, but we had to score the extra attacker goal to even get the tie. I’d be a lot more pissed with the loss. 

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

UND's penalty kill up to the task in tie with Denver

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4394595-unds-penalty-kill-task-tie-denver

So now we are reduced to "celebrating" a tie and talking up our penalty kill?

What has this season devolved into? :(

Ive gotten the impression a lot of media members have already buried this team. So this is probably what we are gonna see. 

2 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Monty is an a** but he's correct from last night........."He's the same f***in' guy!"

I’m not faulting Smith for the hit on Plant from the series in Denver. That should never have been a penalty let alone a 5. That was more Plant running into Smith more than anything.  

Last nights hit though, I’m fine with the 5 and a game suspension for that. That’s going by the book as it should be called. 

1 minute ago, brianvf said:

I’m not faulting Smith for the hit on Plant from the series in Denver. That should never have been a penalty let alone a 5. That was more Plant running into Smith more than anything.  

Last nights hit though, I’m fine with the 5 and a game suspension for that. That’s going by the book as it should be called. 

Just a hunch but Smith has a not so good rep at this point.

21 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

UND's penalty kill up to the task in tie with Denver

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4394595-unds-penalty-kill-task-tie-denver

So now we are reduced to "celebrating" a tie and talking up our penalty kill?

What has this season devolved into? :(

UND is a mid-NCHC team playing a team that is a front runner to win the NCAA title. It sucks that UND couldn’t close out last nights game after going up 2-0, but at least they got a point out of this series. 

So yes, that is what this season has devolved into. This team could easily break the NCHC playoff and NCAA streaks. I’d love to see them go on a run at the end of the season, but I’m not sure it will happen. 

7 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Agree with all of the this

16 hours ago, neoflex said:

Dang. The lack of skilled offensive players - goal scorers, is really showing tonight. Defense has been fair, but our offensive output is rather poor. We play a lot of dump and chase and hope to get a rebound versus trying to make skilled passes. 

With the program we have it's concerning the number (lack of) of skilled offensive players - goals scorers we have, we're middle of the pack in that department in college hockey. 

• Upvote 1