SiouxSports.com Forum

Students Spearhead Effort for Fighting Hawks Mascot

ChrisUND1

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

Could've sworn I read the idea came up during a gameday committee meeting and the student gov't decided to run with it.  But really, it was brought up here years ago (there were people speculating on a mascot before we even had a new nickname) and it's not like it's some crazy new idea in college athletics.  I guess I don't see why who initially proposed it matters, as long as the student gov't embraced the idea without being told they had to (the past few student gov't presidents haven't really been shy about ripping the administration, so I doubt that's the case here).

I think it would be a big deal if the admin portrayed it as a student-driven initiative if it were not, but yeah, I completely agree it's honestly not a big deal.

I just frickin' hate mascots hahaha :lol:

Yeah, i agree it was pretty obvious why there wasn't a mascot in the modern day Sioux era. (other than the bleacher creature).

Of cringeworthy historical fact. Back in the day there was a Sammy Sioux mascot, it was quite inappropriate.... even for that time.

So getting back to mascots, besides being for the kids to enjoy, mascots bring excitement during dull moments of the game and engage with the crowd to create an exciting atmosphere.  If you get the right person (or multiple people likely) with a charismatic personality, the fans will feed off of that.  as corny and hokey as people think mascots are, they do get the crowds at games going.  

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So getting back to mascots, besides being for the kids to enjoy, mascots bring excitement during dull moments of the game and engage with the crowd to create an exciting atmosphere.  If you get the right person (or multiple people likely) with a charismatic personality, the fans will feed off of that.  as corny and hokey as people think mascots are, they do get the crowds at games going.  

You and I disagreed earlier, but I promise I'm not just trying to be contrarian when I say I couldn't agree less with this lol. 

But again, I frickin' hate mascots haha.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Hmmm interesting, It's amazing that UND has as good an atmosphere since it's been over 23 years since that marketing abortion "Thunder the Bleacher Creature" crawled out of the mind of some idiot an on to und courts. I'm amazed that UND has any fans without some moron in a fursuit running around.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Can we get over adding the word "Fighting" to every potential name?  It's just a weak attempt to hold onto something that's gone.  Both Hawks and Scouts sound better without it. 

Just my opinion.

Personally, I’m not married to the ‘fighting’ qualifier, but I think it might make it more acceptable to the majority - just as having added it to ‘Hawks’ allowed it to win the vote.  I believe that if it had been instead added to ‘Nodaks’, that would have been the one to garner the most votes.

• Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, DamStrait said:

Personally, I’m not married to the ‘fighting’ qualifier, but I think it might make it more acceptable to the majority - just as having added it to ‘Hawks’ allowed it to win the vote.  I believe that if it had been instead added to ‘Nodaks’, that would have been the one to garner the most votes.

Not that it really matters anymore but my Prefered nickname options

1. No nickname

2. Nokota

3. Rough Riders

4.Aero's/Raiders -anything that could be given an aviation theme

5. Nodaks

6. Flickertails(Only if Conker could be the Mascot) or Fighting hawks

100099.  Sundogs

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Do they think real hawks are free? Like you just catch one and then you just have it and then that's it? 

yah, they are protected by federal law I think and also not pre-trained by their mother to land on some dude's arm.  At least I don't think so.

“There is no chance for the students to get any say with how this university ignores our opinions,” Pederson said.

It’s safe to say that all of the UND community and the Greater Grand Forks community is hoping for the 17 individuals on the committee to pick competitive and pleasing options for the vote that’s set to take place just before finals week in May.

You literally get to vote on it.

• Upvote 1

Good grief, don't get carried away with the narrative of having a real hawk/falcon. There are many legal falconers that own hawks/falcons and hunt with them, legally. Finding one that would bring their birds to indoor stadiums, however, might be problematic, and flying them indoors may be out of the question. But finding a falconer that will be at UND sporting events with the hawk sitting on his arm is not totally farfetched.. 

Flying one in the Ralph to takes a live rodent on the ice would be cool, but would bring up even more problems fortm PETA and the like, and would not be doable, even if you found a falconer that would fly his bird indoors under artificial light (not going to happen). But it's a cool concept.