SiouxSports.com Forum

Students Spearhead Effort for Fighting Hawks Mascot

ChrisUND1

6 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

It was correct the first time. I appreciate the attempt, however.

Let's just wrap this up, ok? Both "sides" have their knuckleheads that can't meet in the middle. It's the same frickin' "argument" every time.

I just think it was silly to pick that tribute to Humboldt as a pulpit to preach about the nickname. 

I’ve been called “a non-UND fan”, “PC”, among other names on hockey Facebook pages because I post the Hawks logo, or say go Fighting Hawks. So It goes both ways.

Does your last paragraph refer to a Fighting Hawks player using this tribute to say Fighting Sioux? 

Just now, darell1976 said:

I’ve been called “a non-UND fan”, “PC”, among other names on hockey Facebook pages because I post the Hawks logo, or say go Fighting Hawks. So It goes both ways.

Yeah, and I literally JUST SAID THAT. 

Did you gloss over the line where I said both sides have their knuckleheads that can't meet in the middle?

4 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Yeah, and I literally JUST SAID THAT. 

Did you gloss over the line where I said both sides have their knuckleheads that can't meet in the middle?

You said this: " But for the Hawks lovers, it seems to be all or nothing. If you don't fully jump on board with the logo, you aren't a "true" UND fan. Just nonsense."

So if you say both sides are knuckleheads but yet bash the "Hawks lovers" you sound like a total hypocrite.

14 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I feel the same way about the Hawks crowd who are telling me every time I wear a Sioux jersey that I am not supporting UND the right way. 

I'm not a Sioux Forever person. I get it. But like Archy said, I don't think I should be talked down to or looked poorly upon if I don't like the logo and don't want to buy a Hawks jersey. It's as simple as this.

@stoneySIOUXI've worn a Hawks hat and Sioux Hoodie. What do we tell those folks?:) 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

You said this: " But for the Hawks lovers, it seems to be all or nothing. If you don't fully jump on board with the logo, you aren't a "true" UND fan. Just nonsense."

So if you say both sides are knuckleheads but yet bash the "Hawks lovers" you sound like a total hypocrite.

I used my example because that's what I've had come my way. You've had it come from the other, which I then acknowledged. 

Alright, man. Whatever.

So exhausting.

I've attended about 8-10 basketball games this year and from what I can see the Basketball team and fans have transitioned to the new nickname. I know that Bubba and the football team was also on board and their recruits reference the Fighting Hawks when they commit via Twitter.  

Whatever. Over time, the new logo has grown on me. 

When I was at the Frozen Faceoff this year, I had a number of writers and bloggers (you'd probably know many of them) ask me why our fans still chant Sioux Forever and Sioux. I said you're going to have to ask them. 

1 minute ago, Goon said:

I've attended about 8-10 basketball games this year and from what I can see the Basketball team and fans have transitioned to the new nickname. I know that Bubba and the football team was also on board and their recruits reference the Fighting Hawks when they commit via Twitter.  

Whatever. Over time, the new logo has grown on me. 

When I was at the Frozen Faceoff this year, I had a number of writers and bloggers (you'd probably know many of them) ask me why our fans still chant Sioux Forever and Sioux. I said you're going to have to ask them. 

I think it's an easy answer. Doesn't mean that answer will change anything, but it's an easy one.

21 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I feel the same way about the Hawks crowd who are telling me every time I wear a Sioux jersey that I am not supporting UND the right way. 

I'm not a Sioux Forever person. I get it. But like Archy said, I don't think I should be talked down to or looked poorly upon if I don't like the logo and don't want to buy a Hawks jersey. It's as simple as this.

Nobody is talking about you - wear whatever you want, who cares.  Once again, nobody care what fans do currently, that is your choice.

It's the players that represent the University, posing as "Sioux" hockey players, that actually work against a current core mission of the athletic department which is to try and implement the new nickname and branding. 

They will gladly take the 20K/year scholarship but can't respect the university enough to show some support in their time of transition. That's the problem.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, darell1976 said:

That you can embrace the past while accepting the present. 

Here's what I would say. many people including myself have all kinds of gear and apparel that we've acquired over the years. If you expect some to just embrace the new logo, you maybe be waiting a long time. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting. You wear what you're going to wear and let people do whatever. It's called the 1A. I did like the new hockey jersey's this season. But, that's just me. 

1 minute ago, Goon said:

Here's what I would say. many people including myself have all kinds of gear and apparel that we've acquired over the years. If you expect some to just embrace the new logo, you maybe be waiting a long time. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting. You wear what you're going to wear and let people do whatever. It's called the 1A. I did like the new hockey jersey's this season. But, that's just me. 

Fans can do whatever they want.  The student-athletes are in another category, IMO.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

Nobody is talking about you - wear whatever you want, who cares.  Once again, nobody care what fans do currently, that is your choice.

It's the players that represent the University, posing as "Sioux" hockey players, that actually work against a current core mission of the athletic department which is to try and implement the new nickname and branding. 

They will gladly take the 20K/year scholarship but can't respect the university enough to show some support in their time of transition. That's the problem.

I understand what you're saying. I don't necessarily agree, but my problem with what you posted was just timing and choice of topic. That's it. 

I totally get the argument of the hockey team not supporting the transition.

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I understand what you're saying. I don't necessarily agree, but my problem with what you posted was just timing and choice of topic. That's it. 

I totally get the argument of the hockey team not supporting the transition.

Fair.  Poor timing.

• Upvote 1

Just now, UND1983 said:

Fans can do whatever they want.  The student-athletes are in another category, IMO.  

So, are you suggesting that the AD and the University make student-athletes use the Fighting Hawks name? It doesn't work that way. Especially, with Millennials. 

2 minutes ago, Goon said:

So, are you suggesting that the AD and the University make student-athletes use the Fighting Hawks name? It doesn't work that way. Especially, with Millennials. 

He's hoping the team would rally around the new name. Like you said, doesn't mean it'll happen or it should happen. 

13 minutes ago, Goon said:

I myself wear a Sioux hoodie and jacket to work, when not at work I wear a Hawks cap, Hawks shirt, Sioux hockey jerseys. I love the Fighting Sioux name and logo, been cheering for the Sioux since 1984 (my first game), I have Sioux memorabilia all over the place. I still have a Grand Forks Central Redskins cap and jacket. But because I have that I don't make fun of the Knights name and logo. We had a voting process that picked the name Knights over Pride. 24 years later I don't think any hockey players say they are playing Redskin hockey, and I don't think the crowd chants Redskins forever or Go Redskins. Cheer for the team but don't degrade the fan. 

8 minutes ago, Goon said:

I think he is saying why do the hockey players say they are playing "Sioux hockey" (its been said during intermission interviews), but you don't hear football, basketball, volleyball players saying they are playing Sioux football, basketball, volleyball. Maybe its the atmosphere? I don't know, but no one currently playing played under that name so it seems odd its just that program.

7 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

I myself wear a Sioux hoodie and jacket to work, when not at work I wear a Hawks cap, Hawks shirt, Sioux hockey jerseys. I love the Fighting Sioux name and logo, been cheering for the Sioux since 1984 (my first game), I have Sioux memorabilia all over the place. I still have a Grand Forks Central Redskins cap and jacket. But because I have that I don't make fun of the Knights name and logo. We had a voting process that picked the name Knights over Pride. 24 years later I don't think any hockey players say they are playing Redskin hockey, and I don't think the crowd chants Redskins forever or Go Redskins. Cheer for the team but don't degrade the fan. 

Well, maybe give the team like 20 more years and check back in on this?

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Well, maybe give the team like 20 more years and check back in on this?

I have always said it will take time. People laugh that "no one is buying Hawks stuff", I hear that on social media all the time, but where will we be in 10 years, further along.  Twenty years like you said there will always be Fighting Sioux faithful but most of the crowd will be wearing FH stuff.